Tips on making 80s corporate training music?

Yes, Mac Plus is close to God. What I was saying is that the songs on that album on Macintosh Plus have the original music from which they were sampled, but that doesn’t detract from the greatness of フローラルの専門店 .

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmgc3WFQOrq3dZgJb1DgqFZXUr1anEsDO

Not quite in the direction of composing your own music, but I just wanted to say that there are many ways to compose.

You cannot download sound fonts from MIDI hardware, but you can create them if you take the trouble. Some people have created and published them that way, so you can probably find them if you search. I would have to check to see if that is legal, but perhaps it is a gray area?

off topic, but if we’re sharing vaporwave playlists… :smirk:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lD50uYQfg58FWOzk7ADKVAR3TOhmbUMnw&si=eNTcY5KQQ6dzkm_A

I found this site for soundfonts of the Roland, would this work in Renoise?
(musical-artifacts.com)

I downloaded it, but it’s probably sf2 so it won’t work, maybe if I can convert it to sfz it might work, but I don’t know yet.
EDIT: I was able to convert it to sfz with polyphone.

1 Like

Guys the Plogue soundfont player recognizes all soundfont formats,that’s why i put a link to it.
There is no need to mess around with editing and external programs.

1 Like

.SFZ soundfonts can be imported and exported using Renoise:

PS - There are some cheezy chord structures that can help create space for some 80’s elevator music styles.

Hey there - lol im going to, perhaps, break with the tradition of this thread and say that I actually think you can do most of what you’re looking to do in Renoise (with some caveats).

If you already have a good compositional background (it seems like you do) then it becomes a matter of narrowing down on the particular sound (s) you want to accomplish your end goal. Imop, that breaks down according to the following tiers:

1. Original hardware. Arguably, nothing will ever sound as genuine and lush as analgoue gear (or even gear with a digital component but that’s an argument for a diff thread). The downside is that it’s cumbersome, often costly, and can be a pain to manage if you are trying to stay within the program

2. VsT’s - you said you aren’t as familiar with what VST’s are, so, briefly: vsts are essentially virtual instruments (or virtual effects). They are not native to a particular DAW. They run the gamut from synths that try to do everything (Pigments), synths that try and replicate a very particular synth architecture (some Roland VSTs for ex), to oddball effects, filters, reverbs, etc. A vst that’s replicating an older synth is (often) trying to replicate the architecture of the original synth to generate a sound that is as close as possible to what the original synth created. That includes replicating how a filter sounds, how the effects on that synth sounded, etc.

3. Sound players / Renoise built in instruments - Some people have suggested soundfont players (totally a valid recommendation). I would say Renoise’s built in sample player falls into this category as well. In these instances, you are taking a sample of an original sound, and then playing back that sample. Not the same as “generating” a sound, but I would strongly argue that you can still get pretty close to creating things that sound like what you want using even Renoise’s built in sample player. I’d say this, because the sample player is incredibly deep: it allows you set up modulation sets for each sample (if you wish), layer samples, and create FX chains within the sampler itself that can help you take a relatively dry sample and change it into something more nuanced. The challenge here is a)you have to understand what the capabilities are and b)how to get the original sound to the place where you want it to be - which is a lot to know understand.

I think a way into #3 above is actually something that you can start at with #2. Specifically: I would recommend getting something like Serum or Vital. These are both incredibly straightforward (on the surface) synth VST’s that also contain enough depth to get very close to many different types of sounds, which ALSO have a shit ton of tutorials. I mean, trust me - google “Serum tutorial to make XXX” and you’ll find almost every major genre covered in detail. Serum is a great synth because it introduces some basic concepts of synth building in a way that is visually intuitive. You couple that with a ton of tutorials (and presets - both paid and otherwise) that help you get to a particular sound, and it’s well worth it. I mention Vital because it essentially does everything Serum does, but is free. However, less tutorials, some jankiness because it’s essentially free, etc.

My experience was that Serum gave me an understanding of some fundamentals of synth making, which then could be applied to #3. Renoise doesn’t really hold your hand when it comes to using its built in sample generator and there are extremely limited tutorials - but it really is HIGHLY capable. But, maybe easier to crawl before walking, walking before running.

Just my 2 cents - happy music making, look forward to whatever you come up with next!

1 Like