Tips to get a better sound

I have been using Renoise for a while, after some months out… I would like to know which effects do you use in Mixer (or which ones do you normally use for each concrete track) to get a great sound

This is my last recent try… the original https://soundcloud.com/raul-sanchez-42/the-ofis-haster-2019

And same piece, after some tuning (some volume adjustments for some tracks, adding Maximizer effect & disabling Global Groove / Mastering checkboxes in Mixer) https://soundcloud.com/raul-sanchez-42/the-ofis-haster-2019-v2

With this, I am using Bus Compressor (with Mastering A option selected), LADSPA DJ Eq & Maximizer (default) in Mixer

In both cases, I apply some other adjustments post Renoise, using Audacity, such as Normalize / Compress & some equalize

Any tips? Thanks!

1 Like

Where do you think the sound can be improved? I think you don’t need any special plugins to improve the sound. IMO your mix has too much bass which sounds muddy. Maybe you can post a screenshot of your mixer window then we can look what you have done so far.

A simple Way for propper and more balanced Mix is called GainStaiging.
Maybe this technichs can help you for becoming that Sound you after at:+

Sure!

1 Like

I can only tell you what I would do.
The Master looks ok - simple but this can work just fine in most cases.
You could add the exciter on the master too and experiment with that. Aslo the stereo device maybe. Depends after what kind of sound you are after. Keep it simple and trust your ears.

On the channels I would add a LP//HP depending on the signals or even EQ for more specifice soundchanges. The Lopass on the low signals, the Hipass on the hi signals will give you a more overal good sound. Maybe more headroom too and keep in Mind also that when you have same frqenzies of different Instruments the<yy will clash and start too phase - so those you could PAN in other Direktions L/R.
PLUS:
GAINSTAGING

Hope this helps you a bit out.

1 Like

Lofimat nailed it. Most important thing imo is puttuig high passes to all instruments except of kick and bass.

Thank you very much… some (very novice) questions then :slight_smile:

When you say “I would add a LP//HP” which concrete plugins do you mean? And which parameters for that plugins? Not sure where to start… If I check what I have available I see: Analog Filter, Comb Filter, Digital Filter, etc…

Or do you mean some extra plugins such as the ones I see there Using Filters - Part 1 | Renoise ? If so, any stuff for Linux users?

About GainStaging, I have checked the video… but I am not 100% sure how to apply this to Renoise :stuck_out_tongue:

Some people prefer to use the Analog filter, I prefer to use the Digital filter. When I use the digital filter, I select the Chebyshev 8n, and in the bottom right hand corner of the filter plugin, it allows you to choose the dB curve. I use -2dB, so I can “see” it a bit better.

The digital filter is very much a limiter - not so much as an audio dynamics filter, but as a frequency filter. If you don’t want the frequency range of an instrument to pass a particular frequency range, I find this way the cleanest way to do it. The Analog filter has a slightly different sound, and is a bit more forgiving with its curve. So, if you’re working on a more natural style of music, the Analog filter may serve you better (think spinning house music on a record player - more “natural” sounding, versus cyberpunk - more “electronic”).

Either the analog of the digital filter will work. Just be patient and A/B whatever you’re working on. Find your sound. For me, I use this method on each channel, but it’s not necessary for every type of music.

For a good mix you need to cut out stuff from the instruments, so they make space for each other, and are balanced against each other…like eqing notches and leaving or boosting peaks so that the character of the sound is kept intact or improved, but also so the instruments can blend into each other while each has several dominant peaks and notches in the frequency space. The bark scale is interesting, you can see each band can have up to three peaks, whether they are placed low/mid/hi in that band they can make the sound go low/normal/high kind of timbre/position. You can make reverb really stand out, by notching other instruments in the dominant frequency range of the reverb tail.

Of course also filter out or EQ notch away any unclean/background stuff where it is not needed or introduces mud to the sound.

To keep the sub/bass clean for only kick and bass, sidechain the bass to the kick in the bass/sub range, if you wish the kick to stand out very clean. Try to leave the low end for its dominant instruments…

I sometimwes use the Moog filter for more musically sound.

Thank you very much for the help… I have always thought all Renoise sounds were (some kind of) preprocessed, so there was no need to do all this stuff when using them. Now I see I have tons to learn still
I will give a try & report feedback here :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t say I get a great sound all the time, as I’m still learning bit by bit. But one simple and effective trick that isn’t as widely taught as it is used, is to make an instrument bus where you route everything except (perhaps) drums and bass. Process this bus with a stereo widening plugin for stereo glue and a more “modern” sound. I use the ozone stereo imager but would probably be careful about the native stereo expander.

A more common thing that should be mentioned regarding stereo processing is that it’s often a good idea to highpass the Mid signal.

I wanted to mention these as they are things that are easily applied in relation to what they give.

1 Like

I have not read all the thread, bad on my part. But it seems obvious that the best way to get a good sound is to choose samples or VSTi that sound good. This seems silly, it is not. Think deeply. The less a particular sound is manipulated, the better.

Sometimes we get entangled in other things and the main fault is in the choice of samples.

2 Likes