[To Keep Or Revert?] Matrix Blocks Dont Respond To Keys Anymore?

I think you had to double click to get focus back to pattern editor. Also some dimming would help if the user is out of the pattern editor.

+1

I’ve been one who has complained about the inconsistency in the past… It’s true when you’d click from one area to another sometimes focus would switch to the area you click in, some areas do not. hence the term “focus stealing”. I was complaining from the other side however that renoise didn’t give focus when I was expecting it should. . . ie clicking in the instrument area (top right), selecting an instrument, hitting ctrl r to rename and nothing would happen - oh yeah because i have to “give” focus to the window. I never understood the point. . I always thought that if I click in the area, focus should be given.

Overall I am a strong believer that whatever is done - do it consistently . just because lots of people switch often between the pattern editor and the matrix doesn’t mean it should be given inconsistent treatment in terms of how focus is given to the two areas.

having just downloaded the beta 7 it seems the solution w/ default prefs and no kb/mouse combos has been to go for double click to set focus between the pattern editor and matrix editor.
but then single clicking from the matrix to the pattern area sets focus back to the pattern editor?
…then single click instrument area - nothing… double click instrument - nothing. … hmm… i go digging for prefs and see nothing where I would expect to see it in GUI

I get the alt-click to set focus, that’s cool.

Then I find View>Lock keyboard focus, disable it - and I am happier than I’ve ever been with Renoise’s UI interaction

I skimmed some opinions here, but I guess I don’t understand - why is this not the default? Why wouldn’t a user want focus given to the area they’ve last clicked in?

Beats me man. I honesly don’t get it either. Now, when I’m ‘focussed’ on the matrix, the esc button doesn’t work anymore to arm the record button… what the… This update messes a lót with my workflow :( (not just this, the sample editor, sample keyzone thing, mweh)

It never has done! It has always taken you into the Pattern Editor for some strange reason. Esc for Edit Mode should be Global!