Toggle Block Playing with auto start?

I finally got around to digging in to 3.0.1 and am loving the new features.

One thing I can’t figure out is how to have the behavior from Renoise 2 when pressing NumPad Enter, which is the command mapped to:

Global->Transport->Toggle Block Playing

It used to be “Toggle block-play and start playing” which it is still referred to as here:

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Main_Page?title=Keyboard_Shortcuts&oldid=1797

Basically, I use block playback 10 times more often than pattern playback, and it was convenient to just hit Numpad Enter and have it play from the start of the block the cursor belongs to. In Renoise 3 I can only get it to turn block playback on and off, meaning it’s two key presses now.

How do I get the old two-in-one behavior?

How do I get the old two-in-one behavior?

By installing this small tool I just made:

5392 org.oscillity.BlockLoop.xrnx

It will provide you with two new shortcuts:

Global:Transport:Toggle Block Playing (2.x style)

Global:Transport:Select Next Loopblock (catch up)

First one does the thing you want (bringing back the 2.x style behavior), and the second one I added because I find it a bit annoying that the playback position will “catch up” only when moving blockloop backwards. This one also works in the forward direction.

Simply install the tool and replace the existing shortcut(s) as needed.

Fantastic–just one more thing though. When I use the new 2.x style block playing, it doesn’t jump the playback position to the start of the current block like 2.8 did. It instead continues from the current playback cursor position. Do I need to tweak something else to get this behavior…?

EDIT: After exploring the key commands a bit more, I have found that the simple “Play Song” (default: R ctrl) does what I am looking for, which is start playback at the top of the current block (or pattern if block playback is off). So I think I’m all set now. Thanks for the script!

Thanks. One I`ve wanted to put together but never got round to.

attachicon.giforg.oscillity.BlockLoop.xrnx

It will provide you with two new shortcuts:

Global:Transport:Toggle Block Playing (2.x style)

Global:Transport:Select Next Loopblock (catch up)

First one does the thing you want (bringing back the 2.x style behavior), and the second one I added because I find it a bit annoying that the playback position will “catch up” only when moving blockloop backwards. This one also works in the forward direction.

Simply install the tool and replace the existing shortcut(s) as needed.

There is one key difference between this plugin and the behavior of Renoise 2.x-- In 2.x, it would a) jump the playback cursor to the start of the block at the input cursor, b) mark that block as the current block, and c) start playback. The new key command in the plugin does b and c, but not a. It continues playback where the playback cursor last was (pause/resume behavior).

What I adored about the 2.x numpad enter behavior was that you could press once to loop the current “measure” and tap again to have it continue past that measure (by toggling loop block).

Any chance of an update that adds “jump playback cursor to start of block” to the functionality? (Still uncertain why they changed this command in 3, probably my most used command in the whole program.)

1 Like

Any chance of an update that adds “jump playback cursor to start of block” to the functionality?

Sure, I’ll look into it.

Sure, I’ll look into it.

Fully appreciated!

waiting :slight_smile:

3.3 out. still waiting.

anyone who can figure this out would make my year.

Hello,

I had a chance to check this tool and implement some fix for the desired behavior.

org.oscillity.BlockLoop_V1.1.xrnx (1.4 KB)