[Tool Idea] Dsp Parameter Converter

Not sure if this is possible, and most of you know I’m unskilled in code. So what about:

Constantly I’m finding that I want to ditch an EQ5 in favour for EQ10 to have more bands to play with. Wouldn’t it be cool if you could just right click on an EQ5 and select ‘upgrade to EQ10’, and bam all the EQ settings are migrated over to a new EQ10, and the old EQ5 is removed from the chain. I know I can do this by hand already, but there’s that time consuming factor. And I use EQ more than you breathe, eat and sleep. ;)

So extending this idea, would be cool to have some sort of Parameter Converter that can do odd things like export the settings of a Chorus onto a Flanger, and so on and so forth. Would make for some interesting unexpected results.

Impracticable? Impossible? Improbable? Impressive? Implicating? Imposing? Impacting? Impatient? Impaired? Impalpable? Imparted? Impartial? Impassioned? Impeccable? Imperfect? Imperilled? Impish?

Oh and another thought related to this: Upgrading from the old plugins like Filter2 and Distortion1 would be great if it could be achieved as above. Preserving automation as well would be excellent.

No, i suspect you were looking for important…
The unfortunate thing is that not all parameters are available.
You can copy the values of the sliders and set the band’s basepoint using their name but that is pretty much it what you can port.
The L/R/L+R and the slopefactors are not copyable.

Heres a line that prints the last available parameter-name from the EQ5 (considered the device is right after the master device on track 1)
oprint (renoise.song().tracks[1].devices[2].parameters[5].name)

They aren’t available directly through lua, but if clipboard trickery is allowed:
This is what I get copying EQ10 (cmd-c)

Click to view contents <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

true

true

Init

false

true

L+R

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

And this is what I get copying EQ5:

Click to view contents <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

true

true

Init

false

true

L+R

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

To me it seems all that is needed is there. The sensible person would wait for a release that allows direct access to the parameters. The not-so-sensible one would build a tool that holds two of these texts and allows mapping parameters from one to another (for which task some kind of simplish parser would be necessary), then flips out a third one which is the result, allows copying that and pasting it into the dsp-lane.

Thus the big question here seems to be: does anyone get a sturdy fit of being not-so-sensible before the sensible person’s approach becomes available?

Someone could write a bunch of XSLT templates?

So making the clipboard available including the copy paste actions would allow access to all parameters.
I’m a bit sceptic against using copy/paste actions to overwrite existing clipboard contents though (you might ditch clipboard contents that the user kept stored on purpose there recently), i rather would have a fifth hidden clipboard spot for this in memory.

i agree with this man.

Interesting discussion gentlemen. Thanks for your input.

Surely EQ5 to EQ10 would be fairly easy, especially if it’s just the Q & Frequency being transported in-between the DSPs?

That’s all I’d want. Both effects have high and low shelves. EQ5 has three peaking sliders, so they can just be dumped on the first three peaking sliders for EQ10.

I will attempt to do this once I 'm finished delivering a remix master wav that doesn’t get turned down by the mastering engineer.

Thank you nice chap, good luck with that remix Mr. Ruoho.