Tools Page: Can't Edit My Tools

Hi admins,

what happened to the tools page ?

1. I can’t login and edit my submitted tools

2. All the comments are gone

The tools engine has been fully revised, comments and ratings have been removed, the ratings actually don’t tell much about the real use of the tools. The forum accounts are no longer attached to other areas on the site, which means that we cannot supply users the ability to add comments, but you can post a link to your forum topic to allow users to discuss your work. As a bonus you can also keep an eye on your topic and get notified if someone added a comment or submitted a bug. This you couldn’t do with the former tool comment section.

As said:forum accounts are no longer attached to the tools section, thus you need a developer flag to be able to log in. Submit your account name on this page:
http://www.renoise.com/contact
And one of the devs take care that you regain your access.

oki … Thanks for the info

The forum accounts are attached to other areas on the site. But you have to log in at www.renoise.com separately with your forum account.
Please also have a look at: http://www.renoise.com/tools/submit This should hopefully answer all questions.

How does one add a forum thread for a tool?

When you edit the page for your Tool, there’s a new “Discussion” field where you can paste a link to a forum thread.

Ultimately, we thought that using the forum would be a better approach, and would help to keep things more closely tied to the community. Most tools start their life here on the forum anyway, usually as an alpha version, or simply a small snippet of code to help someone out. It’s very easy for users to follow these threads, to share their ideas, bug reports, etc. And for developers, it’s very easy to watch the threads for any new replies that may be important to them.

Problem solved: turned out that I wasn’t logged in into the tools account. Problem is that there’s no login button in the menu. The login link is hidden in the submit tool page. This was a bit confusing, since there was a login entry in the former tools menu. I thought that logging into the Forum account would be sufficient.

BTW: I’m not really happy that the former comments were just silently dropped. Some of them were indeed worthwhile for the authors and the users.
Maybe they could’ve been migrated into a forum topic or so. Or at least you could’ve give us the chance to do so by ourselves.

Yes it is really a pity that they are all gone. There were some motivating and useful comments. I guess they were also motivating for a user to download a tool.

What I find really useful is the possibility to link to a forum thread, nice addition!

A second point which is annoying: it seems that a lot of the counted downloads are gone. Before the update my tool had about 3100 downloads, now about 1200. Was there a change in the date since they are counted?

The comments were unfortunately lost during the website upgrade. So, even if the old comments system was kept, all the comments would have been gone anyway.

On the other hand, the forum has “Watch this topic” and a slew of other features which make things easier for the developer and users. (Personally, I never liked that old comment system.)

Maybe someone who has access to the old database can do some sort of dump and the devs who really want those comments can scrape the text and paste them in their thread of choice? Or, check the “Wayback machine” and see if your tools page is archived and paste from there?

http://wayback.archive.org/web//http://tools.renoise.com/tools/

Sorry.

was lost ? I assume there are regular backups of the Renoise site + DB’s, or ?

OTH: I agree, the old system had it’S weaknesses and the rating system was irrelevant.
Me also likes the new integration into the forum.

Of course we still do have the old comments. Question is what to do with them?

Maybe zip & upload at mediafire or something. Interested devs could paste the relevant comments to the appropriate thread, as Conner_Bw already suggested. (Or just have a quick look at them for their own information.)

BTW, I also prefer the new system.

or paste them as zipped attachement inro the tools forum. It’s probably just a few KB’s

Good news. :)

+1