Track Duplicates Muting the Parent Track

Hi I’ve uploaded the issue here: https://youtu.be/jDRza7TnVJc

As you can see I’m duplicating the track but this new copy mutes the original, is this a bug? Thanks

It seems that it is NOT a error. This is rather a “security measure.” By doubling a piesta, it may sound much louder at any given time. This prevents you from having “sound accidents” too loud while operating with tracks when the sound is playing. You have to be certain careful with these things.

2 Likes

I assume you are using a VST instrument, which is taking Renoise’s note commands as MIDI input. (A sample-based instrument would behave the way you expect.)

In this case, the VST will only play the “last command” it received–so when you have more than one track sending notes, only the “last one” will work. You have 2 options (that I know of):

1. Add a Note Column to the first track, then copy/paste the notes from the first Note Column to the second. This will look like a chord to the VST (since both notes are coming from the same track), so it will receive and act upon both notes. Of course, if they’re exactly the same note, that would be like pressing the same key with two fingers…so may not achieve the effect you’re looking for.

2. Right-click on the instrument in the Instrument Selector and choose the “Duplicate” option. This will create a duplicate copy of that VST and all its settings as a new instrument. Then, copy/paste your notes and commands from the first track to the second. Finally, change the instrument number for all VST notes in the second track to reference the duplicated instrument.

1 Like

Thanks @remst8 this worked for me. I wonder if the Duplicate Track (incl. patterns) command could be enhanced to adjust for the two wonky situations above? Inserting logic like

IF duplicating track (incl. patterns), THEN set both source and destination tracks to half volume to match source volume?

AND

IF track instrument is a VST, THEN duplicate instrument and set destination track’s instrument to the newly created instrument?

Probably easier said than done, but would take some of the mystery out of this very useful feature…