Transient controller, how?

Hi,
I’m trying to do transient control on breaks using only renoise internal devices.

My goal is to get the same effect as the free “couture” vst. The usual effect I try to achieve is reducing the “drum sustain” to get the drums sound more punchy and less compressed. This is usually in a chain after bit reducing or/and distortion. Basically a de-compressor.

I tried to use the compressor device with a slow attack time, but the result is really not there…

Did anyone try to go this route and got some tips ?

Thanks

1 Like

hmm… depends on the precise result your aiming to achieve, but some combination of threshold, ratio, and attack time on the compressor should be able to get you there. The compressor will retain transient characteristics with attack time turned up (usually 1-3 ms does the trick for me), how much you want to squash the signal will greatly impact the end result. I use the stock compressor to sculpt transients/punch on percussion regularly, and I feel like it does a good job.

Maybe post an audio example of a before and after with couture? Then it would be easier to diagnose/problem solve

As well as using compressors , you could slice your drumloop and then assgin amp envelopes to the slices , then you could easily reduce decay and release before adding the compressor .

3 Likes

Probably the Gate device could handle it (if one would want to push it further)? :wink:

When it comes to transients, the Spl Transient Designer does a smart job. I don`t know how to rebuild that using internal fx.

1 Like

example.xrns (765.9 KB)

Here’s an example. I didn’t overdo the effect but I guess it’s easily recognizable… The issue is that it’s not just about keeping the original transient, but also about the transient curve that is then used.

@Kooshan This is indeed a fix, but works only if you have a slice per hit

1 Like

I see. I think you could do something very similar in renoise using instrument fx chains, but you might need to split the signal with a multiband send and process different frequency ranges separately with a couple of compressors in series, followed by a gate device. I was able to get some decent transient control/shaping using compressor > compressor > gate, but the bass frequencies trigger the compressors much more readily than the mids, so the snares weren’t cutting through in quite the same way.

I WISH we could use sends within doofers to create networks of fx chains for multiband fx processing (and a million other applications)… fingers crossed for that feature on a future release. would be really powerful and would give ableton fx racks a run for their money! I would also LOVE to see the ability to route modulation out of a doofer. That would also be incredible powerful and useful for all kinds of interesting things… @taktik :crossed_fingers:

I’ll post up a doofer in this thread with an attempt at a native transient shaper soon…

3 Likes

Thanks for the ideas.
A native transient shaper would be nice too…
For drum and bass / jungle it’s a must. But anyway I’m glad that the free couture vst exists.

here, try this out on the withoutcouture sample and mess with the params. It’s not perfect and would probably sound better if you split the bands before sending and ran a couple/few of these in parallel, but it’s a start!
DYN - transient shaper v1.xrdp (8.0 KB)

3 Likes

Can’t we just use the instrument fx section which allows parallel processing easily? I know it would have been perfect if the feature existed in the track fx . But still it’s no show stopper in my opinion

yes, you certainly can use instrument fx section (and believe me, I do, lol), but imagine being able to contain multiple fx chains within one doofer, then drop that in wherever you want. It would make mid/side processing super easy, complex fx routing a breeze… Kind of like how powerful phrases are (having a tracker within a tracker), but for DSP. Easy parallel and multiband processing, etc

4 Likes

Transient Designer.xrdp (5.1 KB)
I made this for you. :slight_smile: Of course I’m keeping it for myself too, although I have the original hardware SPL TD4.
Change the Scaling to parabola for pumping.

5 Likes

Probably it could be a nice one to fake, running the plug-in using white, pink or brown noise as an audio source, rendering it and import the result as an impulse response in a convolver. But I’ll doubt, that it’ll be gentle on CPU usage.

Ah, that’s great. I was just thinking to myself “maybe you could do this with a signal follower and a gainer…” lo and behold :upside_down_face:

1 Like

You don’t need to compress! The trick is to put an ADHSR on the volume tab in the modulation section.Then slide everything down to 0 except the decay. I usually leave the decay around 300ms.

I need to clarify that this method will only work with a chopped up loop to trigger the volume ADHSR

The point of a transient designer is that it is mostly independent from threshold. So you can assume that the sidechain signal, which is triggering the transient detector, must be somehow pre-compressed, or maybe upward compressed for preserving the original transients. A good transient designer also does not alter the overall loudness, and provides a curve parameter, too. So this is not really possible in Renoise currently, unless you use a send device construction. Also you also can use it to remove transients, or at least this should be possible.

3 Likes