Trigger Video Files Like Samples In Renoise?

By the creators of SunVox???

Yeah, Nightradio posted a recent link himself…

Thanks. Missed a lot of posts as just got back from two weeks holiday in Morocco :) Bit of summer sun was definitely needed! Back to it snowing in London the last couple of days though (but there doesn’t look like there’s any chance it will settle this time…)

I love OP’s idea, i’ve thought about it many times how cool it would be to edit video in Renoise.
My vision is a new track between the master and send tracks, a track called ‘video track’ or something where you could put video clips and pictures in it instead of audio. There could be a ‘show video pane’ which gives a preview window where the spectrum/scopes pane is.
A video editor just like the sample editor would be awesome. It doesn’t necessary need that many features, cut, paste, speed(keynote), transparency, x y axis and size would be sufficient for making lots of cool stuff. X Y axis, size and transparency should be automatable and a Text tool would kick ass.

It would open up for a whole new target group and probably attract thousands of newcomers to Renoise. Maybe an alternative would be to make an entirely new video tracker and call it Revid or something, and make it compatible with Renoise/.xrns. I’d definately buy a license for both.
So get to work devs! :badteethslayer:

I saw this thread pop up to the top again and saw some replies here that indicated ppl still didn’t quite understand the request. I have to be honest it was a complete moonshot - not something i fully expect to ever be implemented and frankly way down on the priority list but I thought for what it’s worth I would share back when I originally thought of this. It’s cool Bellows was able to follow the request but I doubt seriously anything like this would be implemented - just an idea to inspire. As a musician and video person i do dream of a tool like this, renoise is the closest thing to it at the moment :)/>

I use NLEs in fact was a demo artist for Discreet Autodesk Smoke, Flame as well as Final Cut Pro for a number of years. I can edit video quickly w/ qb shortcuts and I’m not asking for an NLE or a keyboard with shortcuts painted on it. --???

What I was requesting is quite simply SSIA - allow renoise to use Quicktime videos in addition to mp3/wav/aiffs. Of course it would require a video window and that renoise hire a programmer who is well acquainted with quicktime wrappers etc.

Anyway if anybody ever codes something like this up or discovers a tool like this please let me know… I think I might have better luck contacting the sunvox guy as he seems to be interested in this sort of thing too although what was posted here is not quite what I was originally talking about…

I share the same hope, to see one day a tracker like renoise opening video files and being able to use their sounds AND also display videos : what would be the beginning of a new era of “granular video edition mode” ; it would be the start of some “breakcored videos tracks”).

(well the concept would be something a bit “like that” but that truely works, that doesn’t crash under your pc, and that is fully integrated in the renoise workflow)

In fact it could be a kind of “video sampler”, that would be able to play (like the actual sampler does), faster or slower videos sounds. Playing faster or slower video sounds could allow the users to create music ; but if there’s a video with the sample, you could also “see” this video source perfectly synced to the sample playback (example : the video could be displayed in one of the master scopes view.

If the sample is played higher the video is played faster if the sample is played lower the video is played slowly.

At the beginning there would only be 1 video sample at a time, and for example, since the video has to be kept in the memory, the videos sample size and video width would naturally be “limited” by the amount of available memory.

I think that this kind of feature would require from the devteam to create a simple video player that is able to behave exactly like the renoise sample playback routine, so that you can apply on the video exactly some special “pattern commands” ; and there would be “video meta devices”, that let the music control some limited sets of typical video filters effects.

And when you render the song, if there are samples with video info in it, renoise renders a video (avi) file, instead of a wav file.

But, Renoise is focused on sound, and not video, the devs have big things to code for now : audio-tracks (or whatever similar), pattern zoom, some new spectral dsps,…

Franckly, I don’t expect anything like that before … Renoise 6.8.2

we can dream my friend, we can dream. but it would be great for audio/video syncopation.