Turning People On To Trackers In General

+1

But it’s also a matter of what kind of tutorials we see in video format, what quality, etc.

I’d suggest that more videos need to be produced that expose renoise in contrast to other daws.

By that i mean videos that show how to make something in e.g. cubase and then in parallel show how to make something in renoise much faster and with more immediate control.

just having a little fun…

What’s a skrillex?

the most tiresome thing on the internet is probably x vs y discussions

mac vs pc
android vs ios/iphone
digital vs analog

etc. etc.

I use fl studio before but then I admit I miss the piano roll but sometimes it’s boring to use :stuck_out_tongue:

Vim is actually the correct answer

wasn´t it “the big dipper”? :smiley:

I thought so, too, but now I know that the correct answer is “both”:https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs

Sublime anyone? no one?I’ll get my coat :unsure:

Sublime anyone? no one?I’ll get my coat :unsure:

Sublime in the house! <3

Over the decades went from vim and emacs via full fledged IDEs to sublime.
Always depends on what you really need, same as with DAWs. :slight_smile:
So I’m back on topic, hah!

Guess i started doing shit in FL Studio but got bored, then went fullon VSnares fanboi and downloaded some ripped version of Renoise 2.0 because of him.

Pretty soon after this i bought it, so i guess my back then most loved artist plus the possibillity to check it out alot did it…well, I could’ve just gone with the demo i guess.

So I got really little experience with other DAWs, but I guess if someone asked I’d say one really good thing about renoise is its purity.

Tracker-style notation is really basic notation, the effects are pretty much one slider changes one thing, sampling is something pretty basic to know about…

so you learn basic stuff, not using some tools that do shit without you knowing.

Pretty worthless if the person you are talking to is just going for fame, but whatevs.

Everything depends on the person on the other side tho.

And sorry for saying this - there has to be at least a little nerd inside that person.

<3

A lot of graphics based Daw’s can appear to be more user friendly and therefore may be more attractive to trackers imo.

I stuck with graphics orientated software for a long time (mostly due to the above reason).

However, upon trying renoise, I found I was able to get results quite quickly.

don’t waste your time trying to convince people to use the tools you find agradable to use; just use them, maybe invite your friend to look at you while working and, if he will think that your workflow is interesting for him, he will get into it, otherwise there is plenty of alternatives outside

I too believe one should use whatever tools they find works for them.

I also think that demystifying a seemingly complex appearance is of great value. Inviting people to watch you work sounds like one good way to achieve this.

Why even care to turn people to trackers? I don’t see any great use (unless you’re planning to do a collab).

Sublime is so good… But then if I’m in a terminal window it’s vim all the way. These perverts who use nano need to be stopped.

Anyway… As far as the OP from 3 years ago: Don’t limit yourself to either. Learn everything and then know what works for you, then you can explain why way x is better and maybe they’ll listen.

LOL. I’d even replied to this on page 1 in early 2012. GO ME FOR DOUBLEPOST WIN!

Turning someone into Renoise is like turning someone into Linux, or into meditation, or into vegetarianism… they are all good things but usually it is not the moment for most people to turn into those.

You can’t convince anybody to turn into anything unless he already comes with that intention. In fact, you may have the contrary effect, and make him to discourage future attempts. They must come by themselves, by their own initiative.

Why is it called piano roll? I can’t see what a piano has to do with it, it’s the piano that should be horizontal, not the notes. Stupid thing.

Why is it called piano roll? I can’t see what a piano has to do with it, it’s the piano that should be horizontal, not the notes. Stupid thing.

It dates back to the old clockwork-mechanical pianos that could play music of a punch card / sheet that was formed in to a roll, kind of like an elaborate music box. Strangely enough these scrolled vertically originally…

The personal “DAW”, circa 1900: dsjlc8.jpg

Great photo The_Traveler!

A lot of new producers are a very young generation, so they are generally unaware of how music was made in the past, i don’t think many even care to know (which is a shame). So they look for the obvious (and current) routes to production, what software does such and such use, i want to be like him etc etc

Which will obviously lead them to logic, cubase, ableton and so on.

By the time or even if they come across renoise/trackers, they will be too comfortable in their daw to want to move across or take the time to educate themselves on a new software, (consider how many people don’t even learn their synths and other tools properly)

Personally i love trackers, i’m 24, so i didn’t start with trackers, i have logic, and have tried demos of prefty much every major DAW, but the workflow speed i have in renoise is superior to them all, there’s a lot of great features in renoise i just can’t give up by moving back to a traditional daw.

Just my thoughts :slight_smile: