Tutorial Breakcore .mod, .med, .rns, .it, .xm

“I’m not claiming to be good, I’m claiming to be as
much breakcore as everyone else and being breakcore is easy.”

does that even make sense? “I’m not a very good surrealist painter, but I’m AS MUCH a surrealist painter as Dali” or “I’m not claiming to be a good, but I’m as much a horror writer as Clive Barker”

gibberish

there are certainly some good aspects to your music. but some of the loops just seem to sit there and give me this treading water feeling–or worse, the momentum is lost and it seems to be sinking.

Venetian Snares tracks make my blood rush and neurons dance in synaptic sync to that masterful interplay between strange order and structured chaos. I won’t go calling what he does easy until you can shit on his music, like he shits on everyone elses.

Meat Loaf. Go listen to him. There is no other music.

:badteethslayer:
tutorial for beginners

meathodges I’m a better critic than you.

I dunno about this need for crazy resolution when you use maybe a third of it. It’s like you’re just looking for a way to retrigger without 0Exy.

I dunno bout you guys but a chain of 8 notes with alternating instruments or some other such trickery sounds like total shit; retriggering is almost always a question of repeating a note or sample slice, and 0Exy+04xy will give you sick control with very little rez for that purpose.

I make speedcore and industrial, some of it gets pretty hairy, and highest i go is maybe speed 3 240bpm.
This isn’t vsnaresy complex by any standard, but for speedcore at 252 i reckon it’s complex enough:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk9nBW3jI_4
“Everything” at speed 3 126bpm

It becomes a question of wether you need 8 lines between each kick or 4, and 8 is a pretty good bit of resolution put into the context of how drum machines used to work, or even how complex your programming would be in a classic sequencer pianoroll. As a general rule, you don’t hear a lot of syncopation in breakcore, which invalidates about half your rez right there if you’re still going to stay 4/4. Even with 7/3 or whatever crazy time sig you want to use, it tends to boil down to square sections, ± 1 per bar.

Frankly, pushing your speed to a point where it doesn’t really matter anymore isn’t really going to help you at all. I’d say only go to that step if you genuinely feel lacking in rez. If not it’s just going to be like an ocd kind of thing.

I guess my point is insane rez isn’t going to help you. If you need more rez, expand your pattern, use tempo shift commands.

Excellent tips in this thread.

A thing I have discovered is that velocity is very important in breakcore, and It can make things much more interesting. Try placing your main snare at a low velocity at the quiet spots of your drum part to get a more fast and rolling feel. It will sound like a ghost snare at high speeds.

Collecting all kinds of snares is also a nice thing. It adds more variation and sounds more cut-up crazy! Usually I use about 3-4 breaks in a song.

Note-off is your friend. I use it a lot for stuttery sequences.

Sequence the melody or bass nicely in time, and get totally spastic with the breaks in the background.

Well… that’s enough for me. :)

Any breakcore is as much breakcore as Venetian Snares.
Benefit of the Boomerang is as much breakcore as Venetian Snares, just like I am as much a horror
writer as Stephen King if I would start writing horror stories. That doesn’t say ANYTHING about the
quality of the stuff produced. I am not claiming to be good, I claim that my music sounds like breakcore.

I am not comparing anything with anything, except breakcore with breakcore and it’s fairly easy to make
breakcore as much as it is fairly easy to make trance. Making good breakcore or trance is a whole different
story. I hope I cleared it up a bit for you, because I don’t wish to insult anyone here, or touch the holy
Venetian Snares pinnacle that sits in the middle of it all, rather motivate people finding out about the genre
and wanting to try it out too. Breakcore is not Venetian Snares, but Venetian Snares sure is breakcore!

Consider this:
breakcore is a rather abstract genre that doesn’t NECESSARILY require melody, rythm or soundquality,
which makes it bloody easy to do, for example, a set of noisy breaks and get away with it. above all else,
it makes it a genre with miles and miles of room for experimenting. JUST DO IT.

sunjammer:
you cannot retrigger the effect column, plus I’m a control freak. programming the bassline with 10XX was an
important reason for me to go with a high resolution: it makes it more smooth as there is more detail in the
envelope, chucking events where you cannot put them with lower bpm settings. it’s just a zoom-in, nothing more.

Granted botb. I see your point. Regardless, i’d still use expanded patterns with tempo shift effects where needed. I guess you need it all the time ;)

As for the vsnares love-in, i feel so far removed from it i’m not in a position to even discuss it. I will say though that i appreciated his old stuff better than the new, and his quieter more emotional stuff (his entire Winter in the belly of a snake album. I dunno how he can outdo that one) utterly demolishes his more straight up breakcoreish aggro things. I wouldn’t call Winter… a breakcore album as much as it is an album of electronic music, which is honestly what everyone should strive to make rather than scope out a genre for themselves and sit there happy.

I will say though that as far as i can read, botb says the fundamentals of breakcore are not more “difficult” than other genres, but demand more of your patience.

I totally agree. I was basically banned out of the #renoise irc channel once for saying this stuff, so i assume there’s a lot of breakcore fans in the renoise game. Anyway, here goes again.

I’ll say right off the bat that i’m not impressed with breakcore as a genre. There are standout acts (and what standouts!), but as a whole, the level of artistry is severely outdone by the level of showmanship. Which is great i guess. It’s a circus of a genre in terms of entertainment value, but it’s sorely lacking sounds that stick with you, and worse, will be remembered.

If you want to talk about difficult music, go listen to Gorecki, or Arvo Pärt. Go listen to some classical music, or what pop used to be (pre 80s in particular). If i can ever come close to an inch of what Gorecki accomplished with a few strings, a piano and a singer, i can die happy.

The core argument is that talent will still utterly obliterate patience in producing that core of humanity a piece of music needs to be special.

Breakcore, and by extension idm, are genres subject to that worst of all things you can come across as an artist; relativity. You can wail away on your technical skills all you want, but all you end up with is something that sounds equally good on the radio as it does in a club. Later, someone will outdo you technically, and everything you worked so hard for is gone. Fact of life, you will be outdone. There’s always someone with more weed, more time, more will. If the energy you put into your sound is melancholy; there’s always a bigger melancholic. If you’re angry; there’s always someone angrier.

Music is more complex than this, and by pandering to one particular element (manic technicality) you’re setting yourself up for basically nothing.

Why do we have stars in the breakcore scene? puts on asbestos suit
They do other stuff than breakcore, or they’re good DJs.

I don’t think snares would enjoy anywhere near the same following if all he did was cut shit up real good. His best work stands out not because of the programming, but from the fundamentals of the song. If you can strip away the drums and still have something memorable, signs are good.

Drop the lime is a spectacular live act that isn’t afraid to play with expectations. He is technically proficient, has an infectious sense of humor and a respect for, wtf, POP music that works extremely well to his advantage.

Lesson? Breakcore is just a word signifying cut up breaks/drums with a harder edge. If you want to actually get recognized, you need to be more than a breakcore artist. You need to be an artist. This goes for all scenes/genres.

maxhodges:
Yup, breakcore is easy to make. Nope, it’s not easy to do it well. I don’t see how this is a complicated concept to understand.

1 Like

COOL

http://www.fusiveweb.co.uk/breakcoremods/

WTF?!?!?! Who the heck banned you from #renoise? How come I wasn’t informed?

some ideas to make gabba/ breakcore kicks , and still hearing all the rest of the intruments¿??

any chance some 1 could repost BotB’s song file again the link doesnt work anymore thanks alot , Jk

anyone has the http://www.grep-fu.net/venetiantabs/ still?

It is the vsnares vache video’s rns file.

The original file is deleted from the site.

I hope someone has it still…

^_^