Two Things That Are Really Starting To Bug Me

Being working away a bit on Renoise for first time in far too long, apart from the odd bit to work something out or test things etc…

Anyway there are two things that currently keep n tripping me up and would love them to be changed.

A. When your Focused on the Matrix and hit some keys it records them into the Pattern Editor. Yeah I can understand this, as the two are linked. BUT hitting ESC does not turn off Edit Mode, so I see the red line, hit ESC and suddenly my cursor jumps into the Pattern Editor and I’m recording notes all over the place I don’t want to be there. I have previously suggest ESC Record toggle should work no matter where the Focus is and unfortunately this was never accepted but can we please have it at least work from within the Matrix. This trips me up repeatedly and is making it also painful to work with on this collaboration as I don’t know it well so am all over the place.

B. Right Click to record Pattern Command works no matter what! I mean you have have Edit Mode Off and be in the Sample Editor View, with the DSPs on the lower pane, right click one of these parameters and you have entered that value invisibly in the Pattern Editor. This is bad enough when the song is stopped but if it is playing you’re going to have a nightmare finding it. Please make right click recording only work when Edit Mode is On and when the Pattern Editor is in view.

Those two usability changes would make a massive amount of difference to me in terms of frustration when you’ve done something wrong and you have to correct it. At least with A it’s only ever a matter of hitting Undo a couple of times (but it is the one I do by far the most) whereas with B it could cause a fair amount of confusion as you might not even know you’ve done it until much later, thus can’t just Undo that step.

I don’t come across your irritations in my workflow as I use spacebar (ft2 mode) to toggle edit mode on/off (seems to work even though focus is on the matrix) and record my automation straight to envelopes instead of the pattern editor… if I don’t want something automated, I simply don’t use the right mouse button while clicking or dragging!

I also record straight into Automation and don’t generally use right-mouse-button record on purpose but using a laptop trackpad I sometimes hit the righthand button by accident and don’t realise until later. Still shouldn’t be able to do any kind of recording unless Edit Mode is ON! And preferably when you can see where it’s recording too (although that may be a little hard in the case of Automation curves.)

With Space=FT2 mode what do you use as Play? AltGr and R-Ctrl depending on whether you want to loop pattern or not? May be worth getting used to if it will cure me of some frustration…

I don’t come across your irritations in my workflow as I use spacebar (ft2 mode) to toggle edit mode on/off (seems to work even though focus is on the matrix) and record my automation straight to envelopes instead of the pattern editor… if I don’t want something automated, I simply don’t use the right mouse button while clicking or dragging!

I was gonna suggest edit mode (Esc key) to work in the pattern matrix as well but I found this old thread about the same issue. FT2 mode looks good but I’m also curious what key you (or other FT2 mode users) use for playback?

right Ctrl for regular playback
Alt gr for loop
right Shift for play+rec

works great I think, prefer the ft2 mode too

right Ctrl for regular playback
Alt gr for loop

yep this, + a button between the fn & right control key which continues from whatever line you’re on in the pattern editor. I also have the play/stop/record stuff mapped to a midi controller although prefer the computer keyboard.

Cool thanks guys. I’ve been trying shift-space for regular playback and it’s been working all right so far. Gonna give right ctrl a go too.