Updates....

So there is a story:
Old pc went to shit (finnaly)
So new pc arroved in the studio,wow win 10, checking does this do the job, recover everyones work set defaults wow everything works, happy, good boy win x, turn off all updates, optimize startup, connect network drives, good stuff, turn off everything go home to sleep.

Next day invite some people over for recording, fire up fancy new pc.
It installs updates… Oh well we need to wait a minute. After 20minutes updates complete, fancy pc restarting… And black screen it goes nowhere, trying to figure out wtf… Launch restore, while it completes everyone allready drunk and hi, jam for 4hours with hardware we had,record nothing… Best time ever, can i have a station to tell by default all software updates to fuk off? If it is working, why try to make it work more or something, i had sweet spot now it is updating…

So rage… Im now spending another 2years to make system that works, and never fails or updates, the world reached its peak, everything is complete, lets get to work

yeah, first time updating windows 10 takes a while, now you’ve learned next time you have mates over to do all this crap beforehand :slight_smile:

what worries me more, is that I think you can’t turn off auto-update afaik(?), that could mean drama taking such pc/laptop on stage for live performance.

You really should keep your OS up to date, the only exception being if you are not ever going to connect it to the internet. As long as you are connecting to the internet, you are going to need the security patches. If you disconnect from the internet permanently, it can’t and therefore won’t install patches. That’s just the way it is. This is in fact the reason Microsoft is forcing mandatory updates in Windows 10, because people just refuse to install them, and put themselves at risk. But then they get mad at Microsoft if a vulnerability gets exploited on their PC.

If you’re using a computer that’s connected to the internet, install your patches, period. It’s just once a week.

If you’re using a computer that’s connected to the internet, install your patches, period. It’s just once a week.

Windows 7 here, and sometimes my computer restarts for updates without asking me. I have lost saved stuff because of this, although fortunately nothing important. How can they even do this? Is there some way to force it to ask for confirmation? Seems like there would be a lot of mad people out there who have lost important unsaved data.

In win7 if you go to control panel>windows updates you should be able to set it to not automatic, or automatic download but not install until you say so. In win10, you have to have pro edition to do this. But in win7 you can even just turn updates off if you really want to.

Don’t forget to install utilities and update your mobo, it can improve the performance a lot.

You really should keep your OS up to date, the only exception being if you are not ever going to connect it to the internet. As long as you are connecting to the internet, you are going to need the security patches. If you disconnect from the internet permanently, it can’t and therefore won’t install patches. That’s just the way it is. This is in fact the reason Microsoft is forcing mandatory updates in Windows 10, because people just refuse to install them, and put themselves at risk. But then they get mad at Microsoft if a vulnerability gets exploited on their PC.

I disagree here. Microsoft is making its crap OS unstable by patching it non stop, instead to fix their security concept.

There are some basic rules that will prevent to get infected or hacked for 99%:

1. Install a good third party firewall that can control outgoing and incoming. Win10 is shit. Block all Microsoft services for Internet. Even login, sharing, kernel services. Now, is there still a good 3rd party firewall available for win10? I doubt it.

2. Install a virus killer, but disable all permanent scan services (it just will slow down your system Massively). Do manually a scan once a month or so.

3. Don’t use Microsoft Outlook. Instead use third party. Never open attachments from sources you don’t trust.

4. Disable all ms office plug-ins / services for in line previewing.

5. Really check system services (services.msc) and disable all you don’t need. That’s a huge mass to disable.

6. Surf with Firefox. Install adblocker and popup blocker

7. Disable auto update

8. Don’t trust Microsoft and on board tools.

Don’t forget to install utilities and update your mobo, it can improve the performance a lot.

Good tip. I didn`t used to bother with the utilities but recently saw this on Anandtech about the Samsung evo drives having cell read issues; I have one as a boot disk:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9196/samsung-releases-second-840-evo-fix

I ran the Samsung Magician software after, to upgrade the firmware. It also has a lot of optimization stuff with it which seems to have made things run a bit quicker, though I didnt test before and after. It certainly doesnt seem to have done any harm…

Good tip. I didn`t used to bother with the utilities but recently saw this on Anandtech about the Samsung evo drives having cell read issues; I have one as a boot disk:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9196/samsung-releases-second-840-evo-fix

I ran the Samsung Magician software after, to upgrade the firmware. It also has a lot of optimization stuff with it which seems to have made things run a bit quicker, though I didnt test before and after. It certainly doesnt seem to have done any harm…

When i got all my hardware updated and fine tuned the PC i noticed a significant boost and it solved some annoying issues that i believe was caused by Windows updates. Now my PC runs very smooth and not a single issue so far, this on Win 7 though.