used laptop for under $100usd for dedicated renose system

I want to get a portable set up and I am kind of broke.

Would you get a 2008-2010 macbook or a cheap laptop running ubuntu? Maybe a macbook running ubuntu (will it make a difference)… I want to stay away from windows

I would like to use the built in sound card to keep things simple, latency is not too big of an issue as I will be doing everything from a keyboard and mouse.

I would stay away from Mac books of you want to run linux, I think they can be problematic.

tight budget. I have good experience with a used thinkpad t420. 430 seems ok also with different keyboard, 520/530 are a bit larger but essentially the same

pros

• easy to find used/refurb models for cheap, old models that have been widespread in business world

• cpu has enough power for some effects, it is dualcore i5

• runs linux with grace

• very good builtin keyboard

• built rather sturdy

• can get docking station to turn into desktop pc

cons

• ugly as fuk

• crap display

I would stay away from Mac books of you want to run linux, I think they can be problematic.

Yeah, there’s a lot of macbooks on ebay and they are dirt cheap but it looks like you can get a more powerful system via used office laptops.

tight budget. I have good experience with a used thinkpad t420. 430 seems ok also with different keyboard, 520/530 are a bit larger but essentially the same

I will look into it, I like the red nub on the thinkpad. I am kind of the a fan of the look.

I use Lenovo/IBM Thinkpad T60. With Ubuntu/LXDE 16.04. Using jackd and Renoise session.

*Default soundcard is fine enough -imho.

*The red thing - trackpoint I find super - mouse free work feel.

*The 90ies RGB business aesthetics feel of the laptop fits the vaporwave vibe if needed.

*Built sturdy enough - feels like a real hardware.

*1024x768 display is fine enough for me.

*There are PC card slots - options for better soundcard if needed.

With SSD disk and 3GB RAM it is - ok enough for me.

I think it is somewhere between future-retro and hopeless-obsolete - after 7 years hipsters will pay $++ to get one.

Use Send buses as much as possible.

Avoid fancy VSTs.

Keep it minimal.

I use Lenovo/IBM Thinkpad T60. With Ubuntu/LXDE 16.04. Using jackd and Renoise session.

Use Send buses as much as possible.

Avoid fancy VSTs.

Keep it minimal.

This is actually a feature if you are going into a minimal/make everything count mindset. I want to get into renoise to see how many different ways I can cut up an amen break and will do all my processing on my desktop. Having said that I am tempted to up the budget to $300 so I can run VCV for processing…

The t60 is pretty old, yet good to hear it still works as a renoise working - horse. Between the ones mentioned, there are a few other u might wanna check: t400 & t410 come into my mind, which u should find for around those 100 buckz. Both also very linux friendly machines. Actually the internal sound - cardz arent very good on any of those models…still do - able, though! :ph34r:

This is actually a feature if you are going into a minimal/make everything count mindset. I want to get into renoise to see how many different ways I can cut up an amen break and will do all my processing on my desktop. Having said that I am tempted to up the budget to $300 so I can run VCV for processing…

I think of my “laptop - setup” as something comparable to Korg Electribe ESX + affordable synth + 4track recorder with some cheap guitar Efx pedals on Send Bus.

On Youtube some people have made some pretty awesome grooves with similar setups - imho.

Except it is all in one box and more flexible and modular. Especially for Amen chopping. CPU the limit :slight_smile:

I find my 420 has enough power for medium complex projects (as of my measurement) - if I restrict myself on renoise native or cpu friendly plugins. Like when on my hexacore workstation things eat 40% cpu on the laptop the same project is on 70%. So it is not really that crippeled or restrained to some simple amen choppings, you can do much more with such a machine. 410 should be approaching the same cpu power, maybe it will produce more heat and eat the battery charge a bit faster.

Yes the soundcard isn’t the bomb, it barely drives my 250 ohm open headphones so that I can work in quiet environments, but yes, it need to crank up fully and cannot really sacrifice some db for a bass boost like I would when working with a headphone amp. You can always upgrade with a nice usb dac with stronger headphone amp an better sound quality. Or use <=80 ohm headphones.

If you plan trying to work on battery without wall power, you will also have to consider investment of a new/fresh battery for the laptop. When you buy the things used, they will most probably come with a used battery that is completely worn down and only has 30-40% of the original capacity left, only suited to transport the laptop for short time while in suspend mode.

Hmm, now I am tempted to plan for eventual upgrade - display is slowly dying towards red, certain letters on keyboard often refuse to work, certain web-pages these days require more CPU and Video than some early 2000 video games - If you have 1024x monitor, they think you are using a phone.

Why not grow up a BiT & Get a real piece of Gear?

IMG_20160923_181809.jpg

Why not grow up a BiT & Get a real piece of Gear?

I think the OP idea was to find a way how to rock out on the cheap :wink:

U can certainly find an older macbook or even pro for around 300 buckz in these dayz, or not? So juz throwing up da Ball. :ph34r: