Used To Soundstudio Editing Style...

I love so many aspects of Renoise, but as a previous user of Soundstudio (on both the Amiga and PC), I have a few questions in regards to certain editing differences in Renoise…

1: When I press a note, the sound immediately cuts off as soon as I release the key. How can I prevent this behaviour?

2: I notice the disk browser selection window has shortcuts such as Load File(s) (shortcut: Return), and Refresh (shortcut: CTRL U). However, any keys I press only apply to the main sequence window and not the disk browser. I’d like to navigate also with up/down keys. Again, this ends up scrolling the sequence window, even if I click in the disk browser section.

3: Any way to enlarge the disk browser section, so I can see more instruments at once?

4: As I select with the mouse through the different instruments, it takes a while (0.5 seconds) to preview the sound. Is there any way to remove this delay?

5: What keyboard shortcut allows me to go to the next note column (i.e. without having to go through the effect bits).

6: As much as I dislike Reason’s stodgy, slow-paced style of editing, it had some lovely “grain-table synthesis” instruments. These weren’t rendered (i.e. samples), but instead were true synth style sounds, which were calculated on the fly. Does Renoise have anything like this, and if so, are there any good sites for downloading these kind of “instruments”?

Thanks all. I can’t wait to really get cracking on Renoising stuff :)

1. No, this is not true. It depends on your Instrument. Go in the instrument editor, try stuff.

2. Middle click the file browser. You have to have the “zone” selected for the keys to be active. You can recognize a selected “zone” with the orange border when using the default theme.

3. No?

4. Get a faster computer?

5. The Tab key. (Shift-Tab goes the other way)

6. Google “Free VSTi” Start here?

1. yes, you have to enable a volume envelope. go to instrument page and enable the volume tickbox (upper left corner) see here: http://tutorials.renoise.com/Renoise/InstrumentEnvelopes

2. yeah its new from 1.9 or so… its called “keyboard focus” or sth. like that. press F8 and look at the upper right corner. its kind of a switch for the keyboard focus.

3. no and theres no Drag’n Drop implemented yet.

4. do you mean in the Diskbrowser? i think this is normal on PC …

5. http://www.gersic.com/plugins/

About 2:

As said, use F8 to toggle focus mode. And/or try use middle mouseclick to force focus.
You can also use alt+left click to do the same. Or use Ctrl(+shift)+Tab to focus next/previous region.

Thanks guys.

That sorts out about 99% of everything! I have more questions, but I’m gonna experiment a bit now cos there’s so much to explore :D

Head explodes. WOW, this is just about all I could ever dream of. I’d be embarrased if I wasn’t so happy about all this new (to me) VST stuff. I was up all night just playing about with it all. I don’t know, I did a music tech unit from my course at uni, using Reason along with others (no they didn’t use trackers, sigh), but didn’t really hear about this amazing VST tech, and how open, versatile and widespread it is.

I guess as a user of Soundstudio (which has never had VST afaik), something like this really is the stuff dreams are made out of. Tons of incredible high quality synths, many of which are for free, and each of which has automation settings for each channel. What more can I ask for? Oh apart from replacing knobs with sliders for many of the UIs maybe :wink:

Just out of interest, do any of you mix songs entirely with VST synths, without rendering out to disk? I guess you’d need a very fast PC…

Interesting about the ‘freezing’ of sound - cheers.

Just a few more quessies now. These would really help cut down on work-arounds if there were solutions…

1: I’m looking for a volume envelope not only for each track, but also for VST instruments. Standard samples can be adjusted via the Instrument Editor, but this has no effect on VSTs, or am I missing something?

2: Is there any way to save a VST instrument + Program as one file? Sometimes, I want to call it another name, and there’s no way I’d be able to remember all the Program names for every VST. Yes I can save a preset, but when I then want to retrieve it, this means having to load in the appopriate VST instrument first, and then the preset afterwards. Can Renoise save/load it in as ‘one’ step?

When using the envelope editor, I find I can’t get more granularity between points. This would be especially useful in the following example:

3: I want the second top yellow point to be directly above the first bottom yellow point. If this envelope represented volume, then the sound would decay until point 4, and then immediately rise up again at that point. Unfortunately, the above picture shows how the sound on beat 4 will have a slow attack rate, and I want an instant attack :)

If any of these are missing features in Renoise, are they on the todo list, or have any of you suggested them so far?

1. Add Automation Device

2. Use the Renoise browser. (Press F3) There you can save renoise instruments (.xrni format). To do so, simply write a name at the bottom of the browser and press the Save button (make sure the ‘Instrument’ category is selected to the left in the browser.

3. Currently it is not possible to set envelope points in between lines. But you can however change from curves to points. This will immediate change the value for new points (look for the ‘Linear’ dropdown box in the automation window and change it to points).

correct, this isnt possible. there are no “instrument- envolopes” for vsti. → related to one out of many feature requests: https://forum.renoise.com/t/brainstorming-xrni-future/14401

but as pysj said you can automate every parameter via automation device.

Press the note and hold it, press left shift and hold it, release the note, release shift.

Thanks all once again. The ability to save instrs like this, and also filter instrs with the search field is really nice (I can use various custom tags to describe the millions of instruments better than the name by itself).

Just wondering now if there’s a search filter in the instrument list itself (not just the file browser). When you’ve got 100 instruments, it’s really efficient to type “bass1”, and that instrument appear (or even be selected) instantly. I’m guessing not, but Renoise does have a tendency to surprise me still.

New question:

Soundstudio calls them ‘blocks’. Renoise seems to confusingly call them patterns (along with the pattern sequence on the left, which are also called ‘patterns’ (?).

In any case, how can I show a list of all ‘blocks’ so I can see them at a glance. Otherwise, if I’m hunting for the appropriate block to add to the sequence, I have to keep clicking the arrows to find the right one. Is this possible?

You can give each pattern a different name in the pattern sequencer.

This however won’t really help you to get a complete overview of what you need and yes i agree with you that this looks a bit clumsy, but it at least makes it easier to trace back the pattern that you desire to add or insert.
A trick that you can apply is to add each unique pattern to the end of the sequencer array so that you have a complete survey of which pattern is what and you can scroll towards it and then either quickly copy and paste it to the position you want or simply insert and double click and manually type in the direct value.

Wow, nice reply - thanks! You wouldn’t happen to use the excellent free “Aviscreen Classic” for grabbing video?

I might use that kludge you recommended. I wonder if this is getting sorted for the next version…

Erm, how do I delete a block (not a sequence) ? (A block meaning what Soundstudio refers to it as).

Using Pattern editor -> Pattern Operations -> Clear and Copy will only clear it, not delete it.

Okay I’m guessing it’s not possible, but also my post could be rather ambiguous. Let’s try again with a screenshot.

Shown are 3 sequences each with a unique pattern number:

Pattern 5 is assigned to Sequence 1
Pattern 6 is assigned to Sequence 2
Pattern 7 is assigned to Sequence 3

(Is that proper terminology? Renoise really uses it inconsistently after scanning the docs).

I want to delete not only sequence 2, but ALSO pattern 6.

If I try the “-” button (shown at top-middle of pic), it will only delete sequence 2. Pattern 6’s data remains alive, and this is a real pain because i soon start to build up lots of scrap patterns I don’t need.

Top of the screen -> Edit -> Delete Unused Patterns

Thanks for the reply, but this is where I come unstuck. “Delete Unused Patterns” will do as you say, however, there are often patterns that I still want to use later which I don’t want yet in the sequence list.

Sometimes, I’ll have bits of melody, or chords, or bits which don’t fit yet, but could easily fit later on. I don’t want to delete these just because they’re not in the sequence.

Adding a “delete pattern” feature as I’ve suggested to Renoise would in no way impair the current functionality of how it works.

Bantai, thanks for clearing up the terminology. I think it makes sense now. What I was referring to as a pattern is still called a pattern, and what I was referring to as a sequence is actually a “pattern instance”. Is it okay to refer to pattern instance 1, pattern instance 2 and pattern instance 3 as shown in the picture I posted?

Thanks also for mentioning the “Sorting Pattern Sequence”. Whilst I doubt it will replace the use of deleting a pattern (not just a pattern instance), it could still come in handy.

EDIT So the last one in your list would be called the 8th pattern - correct? If so, I can see where all the confusion stems from (mixing pattern number with sequence position etc. - wish Renoise would sort that).