Using Renoise as a Live Synth

Hello all, new here and did a search on this but didn’t come up with anything.

I use renoise under linux. But specifically I am about to start using it as a live plugin host. Basically my linux answer to main stage. I find this to be a better setup for my needs than a modular Carla/KXStudio approach.

So my question. Do you think it would be better to setup a few master scenes that I can tweak and change midi channels on my controller keyboards (AKAI MPK49 and M-Audio 88ES MK2) live for changing sounds between songs or would it be better to literally make a renoise song file for each song to act as a “scene” and open each file as needed before the song. Basically I am trying to use Renoise as a linux answer to main stage.

I will be doing keyboard splits that will be controlled by renoise. I am also using the mixer controls on the AKAI to mute sounds as well as control effects for instruments. Think like a stompbox setup.

Everything is working great and renoise is a breeze to map and get setup like this but I am having trouble really hitting all my needs for sounds in just a few song files. However I am a little hesitant to have to reach for my laptop to load a new song file for each song.

Any thoughts on these options. Sequencing in renoise for live will be rare. On the rare occasion it does happen I will definitely have unique file/scene for that. But for general just soft synth and sample playing not sure what the best option is.

Ken

Maybe you should take a look at some tools, likehttp://tools.renoise.com/tools/duplex , lots of options, not shure what to recommend.

Maybe you should take a look at some tools, likehttp://tools.renoise.com/tools/duplex , lots of options, not shure what to recommend.

Not sure what that does over increasing control template options. Remote control isn’t as much the problem as more the generic question one scene for all songs or a scene for each song. With scene probably equaling a song file. Unless I am missing something that renoise can do scenes somewhere. As in switching with a scene the patch in a plug in, the midi channel used, the key split, etc.

Ken

if you have enough ram and cpu power to run all the plugs you’ll need for a set in one, i’d definitely go that way.

no fiddling around for files between songs and if you tweak a preset you don’t need to replace every instance.

i keep trying to convince my band’s keyboardist to do this as he takes the multi file approach and having everything scattered like that seems to leave room for gremlins to creep in.

i suppose if you have a lot of sounds in a set organising them in one file would present its own problems, like a limited number of midi channels. is this the issue you’re coming up against?

if you have enough ram and cpu power to run all the plugs you’ll need for a set in one, i’d definitely go that way.

no fiddling around for files between songs and if you tweak a preset you don’t need to replace every instance.

i keep trying to convince my band’s keyboardist to do this as he takes the multi file approach and having everything scattered like that seems to leave room for gremlins to creep in.

i suppose if you have a lot of sounds in a set organising them in one file would present its own problems, like a limited number of midi channels. is this the issue you’re coming up against?

I don’t think there are enough different sounds for most songs to need a file for every song. However what I do have an issue with is changing where I split the keyboard. So both keyboards always send on the same midi channel across the keyboard. The 88 key I need to split most of the time, or at least layer on the left hand. Some songs however I need to quickly change the split point or the octave of a layer. More of an issue of hand position where I need to play the parts of the song. If I set up all the different split points x instruments then I would definitely exceed my available midi channels. However I am wondering if that duplex suggestion could open a up a logical way to change the split points and octave of the left hand layer (regardless of which instrument it is) under a control. Kind of a macro that will hit a group of instruments and the midi channel of the keyboard determines which ones play. If that makes any sense.

Ken

If I understand, your experience is that changing a split while playing is too cumbersome?
Duplex keyboard mostly makes sense with grid controllers, using different layouts etc. and you can’t change those splits on the fly using that tool…

But it should not be hard to create a tool for managing all instr. MIDI assignments in a song using the standard input port(s). So, ideally you would be able to control the split note with MIDI, somehow. Have to look into our options here…

In fact, since Renoise is kind of ‘backwards’ (saves these settings inside the instrument, not the song) it would make a great deal of sense to have such a ‘performers panel’.

Perhaps I will take a few cues from this tool as well (the propagation part - it doesn’t do splits):
https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-2-8-midi-management-console/35513

If I understand, your experience is that changing a split while playing is too cumbersome?
Duplex keyboard mostly makes sense with grid controllers, using different layouts etc. and you can’t change those splits on the fly using that tool…

But it should not be hard to create a tool for managing all instr. MIDI assignments in a song using the standard input port(s). So, ideally you would be able to control the split note with MIDI, somehow. Have to look into our options here…

In fact, since Renoise is kind of ‘backwards’ (saves these settings inside the instrument, not the song) it would make a great deal of sense to have such a ‘performers panel’.

Perhaps I will take a few cues from this tool as well (the propagation part - it doesn’t do splits):
https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-2-8-midi-management-console/35513

That MIDI management tool though might get me pretty close to where I need to be. I could perhaps instead of thinking in splits think in segments and then assign segments to the same channel on the fly. I am going to grab it and duplex and see where they take me. Thank you.

I wish I knew LUA better so I could code more. Guess it is time to RTFM on that.

Ken

I think I found a way more logical solution to my actual problem. Which is dealing with left hand bass parts. I forget that even with 88 keys I have a whole octave of actual usable midi on each end past the physical keys. So I am running my splits parts down there with some transposition so octaves duplicate and then I move the octave up and down at the master and I am creating the versatility I need to run what I am trying to do.

Sorry hasty response in excitement that I think I have a solution.

Ken

Some versions ago we had a xrns merger, that would at least make it easier to put more songs in one project. It won’t work with R3 unfortunately.