Very Basic Question About Hexadecimals

Hi!

Sorry about posting this kind of newbie question, but I still haven’t gotten my head around hexadecimals.

I have a song that is playing at the bpm of 126. Now at the end of the pattern I need to slow it down a little bit, let’s say 120 bpm. How do I convert this 120 correctly into a hexadecimal number for the needed f0xx pattern effect?

Also I would like to know if this conversion can somehow be avoided (is there a setting to switch to normal numbers?) or could I use automation for this job instead?

Google: 120 to hex

The answer is 78.

7 * 16 + 8 = 120

Thanks for your reply!

So is it still necessary to know hexas in Renoise?

Really, this is not hard. You should learn. Make the effort. Going through life not knowing stuff that you could otherwise learn if you tried is a waste.

Let’s look at a random number, decimal, i.e. the “most humans have ten fingers” department.

3457, i.e Three thousand four hundred and fifty seven. In reverse, where * means multiplication, this means:

5 * 10
4 * 10 * 10
3 * 10 * 10 * 10

Now, imagine if you had 16 fingers, hex, which would come in very handy when counting for music. The same number 3457 is:

5 * 16
4 * 16 * 16
3 * 16 * 16 * 16

In decimal, the ten finger world, these are you 10 numbers.

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Every-time you reach 9, you go back to the beginning and stack another number. 10 is two numbers, 1 and 0. Think of it as a loop.

In hexadecimal, the sixteen finger world, these are your 16 numbers

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F

Every-time you reach F, you go back to the beginning and stack another number. 10 is two numbers, 1 and 0. Think of it as a loop.

Both loops are not the same. The first loops every 10 numbers. The second loops every 16 numbers. Just because you see the same numbers, it doesn’t mean the same thing. It’s like the Russian alphabet. Just because the letters look the same to english, doesn’t mean shit.

10 in decimal, means “10” fingers. 10 in hexadecimal, means “16” fingers.

Great post, thank you!

If you’re on windows, you can also run “calc.exe” and switch it to the enhanced mode. Enter a number with “dec” activated and switch to hex, to see the converted one.

I can also suggest to really learn this, after a while you can do it in your head. back in my C64 coding days I could actually multiply small hex numbers in my head, it’s really not hard when you are used to it.

It’s a great thing to learn, but It’s easier to use a simple converter…

Check this

:)

ofcourse use a simple converter, but after a while some inner understanding will take place.

Hexazenimal :D

OK… I see…
But if I’d like to speed my song up. for example I’d like to set the tempo to 330bmp. 330 in hex is 14A.
But how do I fit a three-digit number to f0xx pattern effect :S???

As of now the fastest tempo you can set with pattern commands seems to be 255 or 0xFF as it seems.

I really hope the limit is addressed in 2.0

That’s too bad as I’m dealing here with high tempos… :(
But is it possible to automate songs speed? So theoretically I can set up a higher tempo with combining to parameters: tempo and speed?

Yeah. for example Speed 6 and tempo 330 is as fast as Speed 3 and tempo 165.

In oldskool trackers, the things were this way:

(Credits to Lars “ZAP” Hamre/Amiga Freelancers 1990)

Maybe it can help you to know how it works.

Thanks. This was very helpful…