Vibrato Command

how can you get the speed of the vibrato to match the timing of the pattern? for example, one cycle of vibrato per line, or maybe one cycle for every two lines, or four lines? so that the vibrato loops seamlessly when the pattern loops. any help much appreciated

hey, been waiting a while but no replies yet. anyone? just want the vibrato cycles to be in time with the pattern, like for example, the pitch goes down a semitone and back up a semitone to its original pitch in the space of say, one line (or two, or four, whatever). im thinking this might be one for the feature requests if its not possible. seems a bit pointless to have vibrato cycles out of time with the rest of the pattern! anyone got any ideas?

I forgot to play with this but it’s based on ticks, so it’s probably 00a0 or 000a to get it to match up with lines if the ticks per line is at the standard (12).

Except, does it go faster when you raise the value? Then my answer is wrong. =(

What exactly does the Vibrato command do? I have tried it but I don’t hear any changes. Same with Arpeggio (00xy). Can anyone tell me? :)

@ ripley: the vibrato command lowers and raises the pitch of a tone very quickly (like when you shake your finger a bit on a fret of the guitar while the string is vibrating). the command is 0fxy…x is speed, y is depth.

@ fullofkittens: hexadecimal a=10. if the speed element of the vibrato command was based on ticks then it would use a ‘c’. so, 0fc8 would lower the pitch by a semitone in the space of 12 ticks, then raise it a semitone during the next 12 ticks.

Ive tried reducing the length of a pattern to 16 lines, placing a C note (single cycle saw) on the first line and 0fx8 in the effect column on all 16 lines, then using every value from 1 through to f for x but none of them will make the vibrato cycles line up with the looping of the pattern. sorry my english is retarded hopefully the meaning of what im tryng to say is clear.

I think ill go and post this on the suggestions page instead

I gotta stop trying to answer questions when I’m away from Renoise, two major errors in one sentence. Sorry about that.

And none of them ever will, unfortunately. I’ve experimented with it myself after you mentioned it, and you’re right - it doesn’t sync up perfectly.

Have you tried using pitch commands instead? You can achieve pretty much the exact same results, but you have a lot more control.

Example:
http://illformed.org/temp/pitchvibrato.xrns

Edit: If you need to go faster, you will of course have to use a higher lines-per-beat setting to squeeze more pitch commands into the pattern.

@ dblue. thanks. ill place a feature request. I reckon its quite important to have vibrato cycles in time with a song…first flaw ive found with renoise so far!! hahh!! renoise stills beats everything else hands down for workflow though…so fast

hey, i was wondering about something related to this too. so two noob questions: (=

why is there no way to midi learn most stuff in the instrument editor pane?

is there a way to “knob twiddle” the vibrato fx data to the automation lane?

i haven’t really wrapped my head around the vibrato fx. don’t think i’ve found anything written on what speed and amount really is.

now, having said that… i agree with who ever it was that suggested that a built-in device that could control pitch for any type of instrument would be awesome! would be nice to know that the control data you’ve just entered can operate on any vsti or renoise instrument if you choose to switch later on.

The trouble is, changing it now will break every song written up to this point which relies on the current vibrato behaviour.

Have you at least tried the pitch command method instead, to see if it might work for you?

(Again, I do admit that the pitch commands don’t work so well for very rapid vibrato - not without using a higher LPB setting)

Perhaps you can go into a bit more detail about exactly what you’re trying to achieve? There may be other work arounds someone can help you with in the meantime. If you do not need to automate the speed and depth of the vibrato, you could also explore the instrument pitch envelopes.

@dblue: thanks for all your comments. ive tried the work arounds with the pitch slide up and pitch slide down commands and also used the instrument pitch envelopes to achieve what im trying to do. when using the pitch slide up/pitchslide down you must use a really high bpm setting to achieve a fast accurate vibrato. the instrument pitch envelopes are great as a workaround! thanks!

however, i think that an accurate vibrato effect command should be added, you could have a button to toggle the old vibrato behaviour once the vibrato command gets updated/fixed (as with the ft2 style toggle button in the song settings). using the actual vibrato command for vibratos is just quicker and better as you dont have to keep creating new instruments for different speeds of vibrato. in my opinion, any vibrato using the current vibrato command sounds a little wrong as it is always slightly out of time, so it should be changed.

I have not been using renoise enough yet to notice the vibrato not being in sync with ticks, but it surprises me that it doesn’t and leaves me a bit disappointed.

The developers of schismtracker when altering behavior from impulsetracker’s traditional behavior which are considered “improvements” allow users to switch between “schism” and “classic” modes. If certain modifications were made to renoise, such as vibrato sync, I wonder if it could be a setting saved per song, or if it would need to be a global setting you would need to remember how each song implemented the variable behaviors.

you mean a high lines per beat setting, no?

admittedly, vibrato did not get the right attention when we decided, with the release of Renoise 2.0, to redefine the behaviour of tracking commands.

the backward compatibility problem pointed out by dblue is a false problem in my opinion, since we can base the behaviour of vibrato on the version number of the loaded song. Of course, the user should be aware of the fact that saving a song with the new version will break the vibrato behaviour.