Vocal chain help

Hi all,i need some help about recording vocals.Should i put a compressor when recording vocals and if so what settings for the compressor.Any other tips would be helpful cause when i record vocals the are all over the place.

from my perspective, record dry vocals, then you can do whatever kind of processing without ruining original material.
record dry > copy> edit until you are satisfied (but keep original for perhaps comparison and, so you can revert to it anytime!)
Cheers!

1 Like

I second this, record the vocals dry as they hit the microphone, not through any fx. 24bit with enough headroom… With condenser mic a plop screen is mandatory, else the plops will destroy the sound beyond fixability…

If the singer needs a juicy sound on headphones, there are ways to let the singer monitor the voice through realtime fx (compressor, limiter for boost, or subtle or even strong reverb does a lot psychologically) - but record only what hits the microphone without the processing. For VST effects monitoring you will need to set up a low latency audio system with latency sub 8ms, else the singer might get confused by the delay…

Regarding further processing, I think usual suspects for me are a highpass, a gate to kill noise in pauses, a compressor that will squash the sound evening out the peaks and bringing up the sustained sounds or quieter passages, maybe another compressor after that, that has attack and release going right so that it will make plosive sounds stand out a bit stronger and enable you to control them by tuning this compressor, a deesser to control the sibillance at 4-8k of the sound (renoise native signal followers with lookahead controlling eq gains works great for this!), an exciter to make the sound warm and the sibilance more like sparkle… All the effects parameter tuning depends a lot on the material, so it is little use to try to name standard values…

But it is really a benefit to be able to apply and tune such effects on already recorded, dry material. Maybe some real top shot pros can dial in the gold for recording through effects, but if you don’t have the experience, try to play safe - record dry, and then fine tune and take your time until you find it is just right…

3 Likes

Good tips friends thank you all.I wonder if there is a doofer for vocals or if somebody could create one.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.