Volume fade in/out function

What i’m looking for is a function that would ask the user for two percentage values, one for beginning and one for end, and gradually modify volumes in the pattern selection from start of selection to end - taking into account the note volumes already present if any.

Is there a tool that does this? If not, how would one go about scripting this? Thanks for any advice =)

so… uhh… basically replicating the ImpulseTracker functionality under the shortcut alt-K (Slide volume / panning column)… so you have row 00 and row 64 selected (beginning row, end row) then you have row00 have say 00 as volume and row 64 as 64 in volume, and it slides from 00 to 64 using the 64 rows.
and then of course you’d actually want it to do something clever like actual math to allow one to not just do that, but to actually fade it down using crazy cool math? (as another shortcut)

nah, just incrementally multiply each row’s volume (where there are notes) by a certain variable, said variable going from first percentage to second percentage.

Yeah it is kind of similar to IT’s alt+K except my ideal function would take existing volumes into account.

I “kind of” believe that I could probably do the Alt-K thing and maybe someone could then do the percentage thing which would be more complex…
I’ll look into it today at work…

I’m confused as to what is asked here. Can we get a simple example going like

C-401 80  
---.. ..  
C-501 60  
---.. ..  

a “before” and “after”

Well, Delt wanted something very specific, which would have been an improvement to the ImpulseTracker way of doing. but the simplest way is to start from replicating the impulsetracker method, which would be to go:

C-4 01 40  
C-4 01 39  
C-4 01 38  
C-4 01 37  
C-4 01 36  
C-4 01 00  

in the case of there being 40 rows selected by the user. what’s read is the beginning row (40) and the end row (00) and then if there’s, say, 5 rows between beg.row + end.row, it would be 40, 30, 20, 10 and 00.

but he wanted percentages… anyway, even this kind of key-shortcuttable countdown from number X to number Y (or count-up, of course) would be lush.

Let’s say you have 5 rows selected:

C-4 00 40
C-4 00 40
C-4 00 40
C-4 00 40
C-4 00 40

…and run the function with 100% as the “start” percentage and 0% as the “end” percentage, the result would be something like this:

C-4 00 40
C-4 00 30
C-4 00 20
C-4 00 10
C-4 00 00

I don’t really see how this would be much more complicated than Impulse Tracker’s alt+K, other than an extra multiplication for each note volume.

I don’t know Impulse Tracker; wtf is Alt+K there??
anyway, if you wanna look into this kind of thing, have a look at my tool that does that exact thing but with samples in the sample editor: Sloper (code)

In Impulse Tracker, alt+K just interpolates each volume column from the first value to the last (ignoring anything in between).

I’ll take a look at your tool probably tomorrow, thanks

The alt-K solution is already supported by the advanced edit functions…
For modifying existing values, use a modify function and click the apply button.
You can perform it on “track in song” but it doesn’t go as far as a selected range in song.

this requires mouse usage. and multiple clicks. ;)

I didn’t said you aren’t more than welcome to write this keyshort cut variant :P

Well now, it seems to me that at least two good things may come out of this interesting topic;

If you’re into keyboard controlling stuff, yes, I would definitely implore you to check out the code (since I don’t know if I gave a detailed description of it anywhere on the forum, you’re probably best to check out the code in “key_dialog” first before launching it tho). You can probably take most stuff from there and then well modifying patterntrackline objects is slightly different from modifying sample values but wth.

Now that would be a very welcome and possibly simple addition to a future Renoise version.

thumbs up the both of ya!!

…anyway, back on topic,

…and let’s say you have 8 rows selected:

C-4 00 80
C-4 00 00
C-4 00 80
C-4 00 00
C-4 00 80
C-4 00 00
C-4 00 80
C-4 00 00

…and run the function with 50% as the “start” percentage and 100% as the “end” percentage, you’d get something like this:

C-4 00 40
C-4 00 00
C-4 00 50
C-4 00 00
C-4 00 60
C-4 00 00
C-4 00 70
C-4 00 00

How about this?
http://www.renoise.com/tools/volume-scale