VST bypasses vol setting

I’m using SonicCharge Microtonic 3.3.4 in one track of Renoise 3.4.3 and it is either emitting sound always or not at all (depending on the play and stop buttons in Microtonic). It is completely ignoring / bypassing any volume setting in the track, as if it would be an autonomous program running parallel to Renoise. Is there a hack?

You should be able to control volume of the vst with the device: *Instr. Automation.
Beyond that the Track Volume should control volume within that track ( Lxx ).

Hth

Even Lxx is ignored. Shouldn’t vol or Lxx control what ever produces the sound, no matter if it is a Renoise instrument or a VST?
Automation works, but I usually don’t use automation curves and it is weird to set a curve, when I don’t even place a single note.

I̶n̶ t̶h̶e̶ v̶s̶t̶i̶’s̶ g̶u̶i̶ t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ i̶s̶ a̶ s̶t̶a̶r̶t̶ a̶n̶d̶ s̶t̶o̶p̶ b̶u̶t̶t̶o̶n̶. P̶r̶e̶s̶s̶ s̶t̶o̶p̶. N̶o̶w̶ t̶h̶e̶ n̶e̶x̶t̶ t̶i̶m̶e̶ y̶o̶u̶ h̶i̶t̶ p̶l̶a̶y̶ i̶n̶ R̶e̶n̶o̶i̶s̶e̶, i̶t̶ w̶o̶n̶t̶ a̶u̶t̶o̶m̶a̶t̶i̶c̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ t̶r̶i̶g̶g̶e̶r̶ m̶i̶c̶r̶o̶t̶o̶n̶i̶c̶ t̶o̶ s̶t̶a̶r̶t̶ p̶l̶a̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ i̶t̶s̶ i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶n̶a̶l̶ d̶r̶u̶m̶ p̶a̶t̶t̶e̶r̶n̶.

nevermind, I can’t read. The start & stop button in microtonic are supposed to work that way. LXX works here, but make sure it is in the right effect column in the track.

Also the volume column works here to change the velocity/loudness of the individual note events;

Just tested it again to be completely sure. VOL is ignored. FX L00 works. Strange!
Thanks for following up.

Just to be sure when you say VOL is ignored, are you trying to control the volume from a microtonic beat programmed in Renoise or are you running the pattern ‘programmed’ inside microtonic?

In the last picture I have pressed the stop button in microtonic, so when I hit play in Renoise in an empty pattern no sound is triggered. I programmed a beat entering note-events in a pattern in Renoise and have placed different velocity values next to each note event.

If everything fails, perhaps you can share an example renoise song file with the problem?

I have programmed the vol column in Renoise to control the volume of a Microtonic pattern and that is ignored. My understanding is, that what every audio comes out of an instrument or VST has to pass the setting in Renoises vol column. That is not the case for Microtonic.

But VOL is a hack for what I want. Actually I want to start the pattern execution with a note (like C3) and stop the pattern with a note (like C4). That is also not working. That’s why I tried to solve it via VOL.

Glad Lxx can provide some work-around.
Have you tried to stop the pattern with the Note-Off note (usually caps-lock)?

yes, tried it - note off is ignored as well.