Vst Instrument Gentle Chord Slides?

Hi, I have a C major chord (C, E G) and I want to slide the E up to an F without playing my VST’s ‘F’ from the beginning. The effect is kinda like using the pitch wheel on the E note alone.

Is there an easy way to enter the ‘F’ note in the pattern editor but to get the instrument to shift picth immediately without retriggering the whole note. I’m using a Dimension LE string here.

Thanks
Sparky

I’m not sure that this is possible in a VST plugin if this is not explicitly made possible by a function of your plugin; in such case, there would be some kind of “polyphonic legato mode” (while usually legato is only active in monophonic mode) activable with some (hopefully MIDI automatable) switch inside the plugin.

the only plugin i know which is capable of poly legato is Garritan Stradivari Violin.

If the VST limits that particular behavior, why not render each note separately and apply the bend on the note you like…

Couldn’t you load 3 of the VST, put each in a separate instrument slot, put each note in a separate track, and use the pitch-bend commands to control each instrument playing a different note to slide up to the new chord?

It’s messy, but it ought to work.

The only solution past that is automating the portamento parameter on your VSTi. (if it has one)

Yeah you’re right about the 3 VST instances. I noticed lastnight that even though I played the 3 notes on seperate Renoise tracks (as opposed to columns), the pitch wheel command still affected all 3 notes.

Messy indeed! :slight_smile: I’m quite surprised that this isn’t something people do all the time. What do people do on DAWs for professional movie orchestrated tracks - do they have use crossfading between different chords or something? Knowing me, I’m probably asking the wrong question. :slight_smile:

That is an option… sliding upwards from note-offset with one VST instance and sliding upwards to note-offset with another VST instance then cross-fading between those on the harmonic moment…

I imagine they do what I mentioned above. If you think about it, a composer writes a score for an array of (for instance) violinists, each with a separate instrument. It logically follows that you would need a separate instrument for each [fingerquotes]instrumentalist[/fingerquotes] in your DAW in order to implement this effectively.

I suppose you can slide up to a different chord on a violin, but I’d hope that if you’re using a VST that’s meant to emulate strings that it has some sort of automate-able portamento thingamajig.

Yeah… I see what you mean. I just tend to think that modern composing should be easier than what it was on my Amiga… but… that was using samples. And to be quite honest, I would have been doing the same thing that you suggested back then as well - I’d have one track playing one chord sample, fading it out as another one fades in… which really is no different from having two VST instances, yeah? :)

I’ll have to have a play with this - maybe I can get away with using two VST instances since I’ll only ever be passing one chord to another.

Thanks guys!

MIDI is a bad beast, and VST is based on MIDI… anyway, advanced libraries such as EastWest Symphonic Orchestra have two different violins sections for such cases. Or better, the Gold edition has two, maybe the Platinum has more, I don’t know.

I imagine they hire an orchestra (and they write their music in sibelius or whatever)?
Also: Whilst you can’t do this “live”, you could just render a single violin sliding and then play that back afterwards :(