VST3's not loading in 3.4.3

I can’t get some of my VST3’s to work at all in 3.4.3. Examples; Cthulhu, Redux, DB-33, Tape Mello-fl and several others. I have ONE VST3 directory and ALL these VST3’s work in both MPC and Reaper. When I go to the Plugin tab in Renoise and drop down the list of plugins these do not show up.

I am running Win11, AMD 7950x3d processor, 64GB DDR5 RAM. I have tested this with nothing else running.

Please make sure to install the VST3 plugin into the folders mentioned here:

That’s C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 on Windows.

Reaper allows loading VST3 plugin from anywhere, even form VST2 plugin folders, but that’s not how it’s intended to work for VST3.

Everything that has an *.vst extension that is a VST3 plugin exists in that location. Remember, these also work in MPC and MPC ONLY works with VST3 files.
Some VST3’s in this directory show up in Renoise, some don’t. Some VST3’s that don’t have a VST extension (are only DLL’s) show up in Renoise, and some don’t.
I tried moving the VST’s that are DLL only to the directory you recommended. That didn’t do anything. When I went in to preferences and added the directory of the DLL’s (for the additional VST3 devices that weren’t working) to Edit → Preferences → Plug/Misc → Additional VST2 paths the missing items are added. They are all labeled with an additional _x64 under the VST list on the left. I have tried each one and each one works so far…
As an example I can see both the 32 bit Cuthlhu VST and a Cuthlhu_x64 VST under the VST listing, with nothing under the VST3 list for Cuthlhu.
I would be happy to provide screen shots if you want.

VST2 plugins use a *.dll extension on Windows. VST3 plugins do use a *.vst extension. Don’t mix them together.
Keep them separated. Those are different kind of plugins.

That’s also why you have different settings and paths for them in Renoise. You can disable VST2 plugins or VST3 plugins.

Cuthlhu only is available as VST2 plugin as far as I can see, so it should not show up anywhere as VST3 plugin?

The installer for Cthulhu allows you to install a VST or a VST3. The 32 bit .dll is a different size and was compiled on a different date than the 64 bit .dll. Also, MPC ONLY RUNS 64bit VST3’s and Cthulhu works great there without the VST2 installed (I removed the VST2 version from my PC to make sure MPC was only running the VST3 version).
Your response doesn’t actually clarify anything or tell me how to fix anything.
If I “keep them separated” I can’t use them. That is the problem I opened this discussion to get help with. So how I do I tell Renoise to use the VST3’s it’s ignoring without using the workaround that is working at this time?

EDIT:

Am I correct that ALL VST3’s are 64 bit?
Am I correct that ALL VST(2)'s are 32 bit?
That may be where I am having a problem. If MPC in fact meant that they only work with 64bit VST’s and a VST2 can be 64 bit, this is what’s causing my confusion.

Okay, just because something is 64bit doesn’t mean it is a VST3. Now I understand.
I was able to clean up all my VST’s and everything behaves as expected.
Thank you for helping me figure this out.

I wanted to understand what was going on before I could help.

Good to know it has been resolved then.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.