Vsti Instant Preset Change

Someone, please tell me, how can i instantly change presets of 1 VSTi instrument on pattern commands, or automation, or somehow else?

I need to mimimize VSTi’s to save cpu…
So i think preset change of 1 instrument may be useful, if it’s something like massive or absynth…
Thx in advance! :drummer:

You can change preset by using “92” on Panning column.
For example, preset 1 is “c-4(note column) 92(pan column) 0000(effect column)”, preset 2 is “c-4 92 0001”, preset 16 is “c-4 92 000F”…a bit complex though. ;)

But I think that the cpu usage doesn’t so rise even if you use some separate instances of VSTi, unless you use them at the same time.

i like to clone a Bunch of the same pattern when i find a melody i really like, and change the preset at the start of each of these patterns. then sit back an listen to how each vsti preset works within the melody, i find some very good stuff this way.

BTW, there should really be something exactly like this for the vst effects presets. uhm, if there isn’t already! :)

Ahh, +1 :)

satobox thx!
You’ve save my brains!!)))
It’s really helpful for CPU saving, not as f*ucking alias.
And i think really important stuff for variety of sound from 1 synth avoiding alias brainwashing stuff…

Sorry, i got 1 more question…
How can i do such trick?i need c-4 to be continues and the d-4 sound doesn’t cut the crap of c-4, of course everything in 1 synth and in 1 track…
Is it possible guys?)

I imagine this is a polyphonic synth you’re using?

In that case, when you change the preset, the already playing note (C-4) will unavoidably switch to the new sound or possibly be cut off.

I suppose this behaviour is down to the VSTi you’re using - not Renoise’s fault. There may be some synths which will hold notes of one preset when changing presets, and allow another note to sound out in the new preset simultaneously. I imagine this is possible, but it’s not something I’ve seen myself.

So in the case of your screenshot, it looks like you’ll have to use 2 instances of the instrument, or use ‘render selection to sample’ to layer up recordings of the notes separately.

You need to place the 92 into the panning column, next to the first effect column. Also there must be an instrument number specified (else Renoise doesn’t know where to send this command to).
You don’t necessarily need to specify a note.

2x Note / Instr. / Vol / Pan   
--- .. .. .. --- 01 .. 92 000f 0000 -> Works  
--- 01 92 .. --- .. .. .. 000f 0000 -> Does not work  
--- .. .. .. --- 01 .. 92 0000 000f -> Does not work  

A bit too ninja, yeah.

datassette
Yeah, i know about render selection to sample, but it’s not my kind of dealing with things…
taktik
hm, i’am sory man, i’ve just don’t get it…
Doesn’t work(
Could you made prtscreen please?
It will be very helpful!

Taktik just explain to correct my misunderstanding (You don’t necessarily need to specify a note) and tell us how to input.

And as datassette said, you cannot do such a trick, probably.
Try this;
-hold c-4 key with preset 1
-click preset button for changing to preset 2
-then can you hear preset 1 sound still ?

I don’t know the software synth which can do this.
Though I’ve heard that there is a hardware synth which can do this.

i don’t think this is gonna work the way you described it.

1 vsti is only capable of 1 patch/preset at a time. unless it’s an unusual vsti you will need more than one i think.

you need something like “virtually infinite vsti” that hosts any vsti as 1 to 1 thousand+ instances, then after not being used certain instances die off. i don’t think this vsti exists yet though.

Well…this trick works in FL on every synth, for example, i can’t believe renoise can’t! ))

so, how can i change channel of 1 VSTi instrument on pattern commands?

You cannot change channel of VSTi by pattern command.
You should make another “alias” VSTi instance for such purpose.
Please read “Using a VST Instrument Alias through channelling” topic.
http://tutorials.renoise.com/Renoise/UsingVST

thanks!

(I think) only the active VSTs add to the CPU.
So you could also make another instrument and switch between those. If only 1 is playing at the same time it wont cost more CPU. (I think)

Really, having several instances of one VSTi shouldn’t take any more cpu. Only a bit more of memory. Actually the plugin is also loaded into memory once, only internally it creates a copies of some class which doesn’t add much new memory as the main code and stuff is still shared.

Several plugins actually take advantage of it, and if you create several instances it makes it actually faster as they share some of the calculations.