VSTi's and sample rates

I was just wondering if there are restrictions to which sample rates some VSTi’s work with?

It seems that for instance ZynAddSubFX goes out of tune when i render it in 96 and 48kHz, but works fine with 44.1 and 88.2kHz.

I found it a bit strange because i’m pretty shure i have rendered songs with it in 96kHz earlier with no problems, so i’m a bit confused and wonder what’s causing this?

Although VST does theoretically allow for any sample rate, it’s entirely up to the plugin to do something useful with the sample rate that Renoise passes to it.

If the plugin cannot handle the sample rate, then it may crash or spit out an error message, or it may simply output silence, or it may clamp the value internally (ie. clamping 48kHz to 44.1kHz) and then run out of tune as a result.

Hopefully the ZynAddSubFX docs say something about what it can support?

It may even be a bug with the plugin, that it’s not correctly updating the sample rate after Renoise changes it. Perhaps restarting Renoise altogether may help in that case, or simply reloading your song after changing the sample rate, so the plugin gets fully reloaded as well.

For what it’s worth, I’ve just tested the latest Windows VST build from the KvR thread:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=268277

I played a simple melody in a pattern while loading different instruments and changing Renoise’s sample rate.

The sounds were at least in tune , but I did immediately notice that other stuff like the built in delay/echo starts running at different times based on the sample rate, ie. slower echoes at 48kHz, faster echoes at 96kHz.

Seems to be something slightly wonky going on. Quite a wonky plugin in general, I’d say, based on its rather interesting GUI loading methods alone. Great sound, though! :wink:

Edit: Scratch that. I just stumbled onto some other patches where the sound did indeed go out of tune at 44.1kHz vs 48kHz and 88.2kHz vs 96kHz, so there’s definitely something weird going on here.

Edit 2: Think I found the culprit. The ADDsynth and SUBsynth algorithms are working correctly, but any patch that uses the PADsynth algorithm seems to go out of tune. Can you confirm? “0091-Ouch Bells 1.xiz” is a quick one to test since it uses all 3 algorithms, and you should easily hear PADsynth go out of tune at 44.1kHz.

It may even be a bug with the plugin, that it’s not correctly updating the sample rate after Renoise changes it. Perhaps restarting Renoise altogether may help in that case, or simply reloading your song after changing the sample rate, so the plugin gets fully reloaded as well.

It should be able to handle 48kHz, so i guess this is the most likely solution. I wonder if it may have something to do with my audio drivers too, because i’m not able to change the ASIO sample rate while Renoise is using it and it has shown to be somewhat unstable cutting the ASIO all together on rare occations.

Seems to be something slightly wonky going on. Quite a wonky plugin in general, I’d say, based on its rather interesting GUI loading methods alone. Great sound, though! :wink:

Yes it sounds pretty damn good for a free synth! And yes, the GUI is a story on it’s own, it is not built with VST capabilities in mind i think, the VST version came long after the standalone version.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Think I found the culprit. See my Edit 2 above.

Think I found the culprit. See my Edit 2 above.

Confirmed. :wink:

Only here it goes out of tune at 48kHz though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow, it’s also available for OSX! Was it already used in OSC?

Wow, it’s also available for OSX! Was it already used in OSC?

I don’t know, but that would have been a challenging round. :slight_smile:

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-26-zynaddsubfx