"VstPlugs: Instantiate FAILED (caught structured exception) !&

Hi! For some reason a VSTi (most recent version of IL Harmor) stopped working recently in Renoise. It worked fine before. Also, it works fine in other hosts and as a standalone. I’m using Win8 64 with the 32 bit Renoise version and the 32 bit Harmor VST.

From the log:

VstPlugs: Trying to instantiate C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins\IL Harmor.dll
VstPlugs: Instantiate FAILED (caught structured exception) !!!

Audio Plugins: Failed to open plug VST: IL Harmor

Exception: Failed to initialize the plugin ‘VST: Image-Line: IL Harmor’.

Error Message: Failed to initialize the plugin ‘VST: Image-Line: IL Harmor’.

How to get the error (for me): Create a new song, go to Instrument Settings, click Instrument and double clic IL Harmor, error.

I’ve tried rescanning the VST folder, reinstalling the plugin but that didn’t seem to help.

Thanks!

Hi

Encounter similar problem not long go with the x64 version of the plugin! The fix for me was deleting the " CachedFailedVSTs_x64 " and “CachedVSTs_x64” db files that can be found here C:\Users*.*\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V2.8.1 ( or start -> search -> %appdata% -> Renoise -> v2.8.1

and do a regclean and re-install

That didn’t work for me, the plugin stopped being identified by Renoise altogether with the same error.
However, I found that I can run the x64 version of the plugin fine so I guess this will do for now. Can’t call it solved though.

Thanks!

Renoise does some polling to DLL files when scanning the plugins. What could also happen here is that there might be an extra DLL file which isn’t a VST plugin at all, but does respond to the function call in an errorneous manner. Hence you get a crash during the scan, but the particular DLL will simply be registered as a failed plugin and will never be polled for again.
Renoise should frankly not crash during a scan, but Windows 8 is not a final platform Renoise 2.8 was/could be tested on when released so such matters could not be looked into earlier than at the current moment. So i would not set any kind of [solved] tag here just because of the crash.

Just don’t scan for new plugins on Windows 8 when you have an unsaved project open (i would personally advise to not scan for new plugins at all with any unsaved work regardless of os and Renoise version).

2 posts were split to a new topic: Windows: Guitar Rig 5 fails to scan and load