Wav file loading silently

Hello, I’m trying to load this sample in Renoise, but it only loads silence. When I load the wav file in a media player like foobar2000, it plays a clap. Can anyone else reproduce this?

(edit: forgot to upload)

Windows DirectShow Audio: no decoder can handle the given audio file, or decoding failed (Internal Error: ‘Failed to render the graph [80040200]’).

I do have ffdsshow installed, so non-inbuilt-in-windows codecs do work in renoise.

According to the GSpot codec info tool, the audio stream is actually Ogg Vorbis 1. If I rename the file extension to .ogg, then Renoise does indeed load the file correctly.

I still seem to have problems playing it in MPC and VLC no matter which extension is used, so I suspect that the file is actually corrupt, or the headers are wrongly encoded somehow.

Where exactly does the sample come from? Do you know how it was created, which software was used, etc?

the audio stream is actually Ogg Vorbis 1. If I rename the file extension to .ogg, then Renoise does indeed load the file correctly.

ah so it’s not a Renoise problem, per se.

The file itself came from FL Studio’s default library, so I’m not aware of what was used to make it.

ah so it’s not a Renoise problem, per se.

The file itself came from FL Studio’s default library, so I’m not aware of what was used to make it.

They probably applied some proprietary algorithms to prevent those samples from being used anywhere else. I would not be surprised by that.

The fact that it hardly can be loaded anywhere else strongly points towards such preservation.

They probably applied some proprietary algorithms to prevent those samples from being used anywhere else.

I wouldn’t doubt that, but I managed to get it to play in the first media play I tried it in, so I just assumed it was Renoise’s problem. If that were the case, I thought the devs would want to know that there was a bug.

Edit: converting to ogg works, so I’ll just batch rename the samples. Thanks for your help everyone.