Wavetables in renoise

hey all, just thought I’d share this technique for making rudimentary crossfading wavetables natively in renoise.

Pretty simple idea. Multiple modulation sets with stepper devices set to a step value of 0, custom crossfade curves, stepper reset tied to a macro. This example has four waves in the table, but the principle can be extended if you want more “frames.” Obviously, crossfading is a fairly primitive form of wave morphing, but it works, and can sound pretty decent, at least in my opinion :upside_down_face:

here’s a very simple example of the principle:
basic shapes wavetable.xrni (5.8 KB)

the main downside of this method being that if you wish to further sculpt the modulation of the sound in a consistent way across waveforms, each modulation device must be copied and pasted across modulation sets. so it’s a little tedious. But, the upside being that you can have entirely different modulation behavior between different wave frames, which can make for some very interesting sounds. Fun to stack multiple waveforms in each set, too… as usual, sky’s the limit :parachute: …er… I mean, 12 simultaneous samples is the limit

13 Likes

Hello,
I decided to expand on your idea a bit and here are my conclusions.
From your idea, I now have a functional export of samples created in Renoise to wavetable format. Tried in Bitwig and works fine.
But why not do it the other way around?
So now, after some problems (it is not possible to map the macro parameter using the API),
I have also imported the wavetable format into Renoise.
Unfortunately, I now found out that your procedure will only work up to 12 samples.
If there are more samples, only the last 12 are heard :frowning:
But I think that this limitation will be internal in the Renoise audio engine.
The usual number of samples I import from a wavetable is around 60.

I am attaching an auto-generated instrument from the wavetable.
Do not look too closely at the curves in the stepper,
they will change as the development continues.
If you have any other idea how to get around this (besides mine that I will only load every fifth wave in the file) it will be welcome :slight_smile:

unknown-WT60.xrni (37.4 KB)

edit:
ah, I didn’t finish it properly.
You know about the limit :slight_smile:

1 Like

just getting around to having a look at this. very interesting. I wonder how it would sound pared down to just six (or twelve) waveforms. This is auto generated by choosing frames to morph between?

I seem to remember you posting a tool that could do that at one point :thinking:

I’d be curious to see any progress you end up making along these lines!

thinking about this a little more now, I wonder if the amplitude curves shouldn’t be off loaded to the instrument fx chains. Does the API allow for the creation of instrument fx? The advantage of doing the volume control there would be that you could use one modulation set for all the frames, which would be MUCH simpler from a sound design perspective than having to copy and paste any modulation devices from chain to chain… And of course, you could still have the option of multiple modulation sets for various frames if desired - which is probably more flexible/powerful than conventional wavetable synths as well.

something like this, but with more frames:
4 frame WT example.xrni (12.1 KB)

I think this method is perhaps better, as the sound design becomes much more manageable in the modulation section

I’ve added a makeup gainer to each frame control doofer to better sculpt the levels between frames. Have a look if you will, I’d be curious to see if you could expand on this idea and make it into a tool that combines the generation of intermediate frames between multiple waveform “nodes.” 6 or twelve frame options would be great. 6 for a little polyphony, and 12 for more detailed morphing. 4 frames, as I have it here, is perhaps adequate for having changing timbral character and 3 note polyphony, but other options would also be great :slight_smile:

That’s awesome too, I like the sound.
As I wrote.
My idea is based on your experiments where the Volume stepper is used as a modulator for each sample separately.
Unfortunately, I quickly got excited about it and didn’t finish reading it. So I had to come across the limitation of 12 samples myself towards the end of the project :frowning:

So the project can save up to 512 samples to a wavetable for use in other programs.
For now, only .WT format (Surge, etc.).
It can also record countless samples from the wavetable, but unfortunately I only have to use 12 of them :frowning:

Quick video

2 Likes

Ah, this is very cool! I’d love to see a version that uses instrument fx chains for the amplitude modulation. I feel like 12 waves is enough, even 6 is good, but it would be great if polyphony was increased in renoise itself. I love the manipulation of the amplitude curves/windows that you’ve built in. I wonder if there is some way to make only a few of the frames play at one time to circumvent the limits of polyphony. perhaps with a clever use of keyzones or manipulation of the sample properties through the API… I don’t know, but I’ll keep chewing on it.

This is great work that you’re doing!

1 Like

I could see myself using this for samples too, to easily set up an instrument that morphs between X samples instead of having to set it up myself every time.

1 Like