Weird error, happened once (Plugin database locked)

Started up Renoise, but might have double clicked it, opening two instances. This happens sometimes, and usually the only consequence is that the midi and driver can’t be used for both, so I close one and it’s fine. This time I got this message:

Exception: Database Error (File: ‘C:\Users\UserComputer\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.0.0\CachedVSTs_x64.db’): ‘database is locked’ (Code:5)

Renoise completely crashed while checking for vst plugins, and I restarted it with a message stating it would be run in compatibility mode (does this change anything about the program?), and then I got this message when starting again:

Warning Message: Renoise crashed during the last startup while trying to initialize the Audio plugin:
Warning Message: ‘Rapture.dll’ (‘C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins\Rapture\Rapture.dll’)!
Warning Message: To prevent further crashes, the plugin will no longer be instantiated until you delete the failed plugs cache file:
Warning Message: ‘C:\Users\UserComputer\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.0.0\CachedFailedVSTs_x64.db’.

I guess I can delete the failed vsts database file if that seems wise, I just don’t understand the first error and I’d like to know how to avoid it. I don’t want it crashing in the middle of something.

Thanks for your time.

I think this happend because you have started 2 instances at the same time and both tried to access the database. Only one process at the time can access it, so the second instance wasn’t able to do something with it. Maybe renoise should check the read access and display a warning message with a retry and cancel button, when its locked.

Maybe renoise should check the read access and display a warning message with a retry and cancel button, when its locked.

We do. This usually will not result in a crash. It’s more likely that the plugin took Renoise down here.
Please let us know if that’s not the case.