Weird resonant tone in my monitors?!?

Can you post a poc of your table together with the dimensions of the room and speaker position ? That might help already.

ā€œIf i covered the beton walls with 6mm gypsum plates, do you think that could solve my problems?ā€

This will do exactly nothing.

How thick are those panels and whatā€™s the material inside?

Out of curiosity, what is the distance between the walls in the direction where the speakers are pointing, from the wall they face to the wall behind them?

6mm gypsum plates[ā€¦]do exactly nothing

Well, wow, they shift the resonance frequency upwards by a small amount, because the sound now bounces between a slightly shorter pathā€¦ :badteethslayer:

Hereā€™s a picture:

move it to the right by the couchā€¦and back away from the wallā€¦if anything for a test

Iā€™m not an expert, but I can see at first sight that thereā€™s something wrong.

• Your monitors arenā€™t on ear level
  • The angles are different
  • The distances to your ears are different
  • Thereā€™s nearly no distance to the wall

You probably will need a bigger table or a stand for your monitor at the right.
Make sure that your monitors are on ear level.
Make sure that the angles of your left and right monitor are exactly the same.
Make sure that the distances to your ears are exactly the same.
Make sure that thereā€™s a little more distance between your monitors and your wall.

Furthermore the red drawers seem to be of metal. Vibration potential alert. Are you sure your music doesnā€™t affect the drawers? Could this result in some unwanted resonances?

P.S.
Hereā€™s a video that might help you:

1 Like

Why is absorption a waste of money? I think they look quite nice, so itā€™s also an esthetic solution for my livingroom. Iā€™m interested in knowing if they will solve my problem, because if they will, then i would definatly not call it a waste.
The panels are called acoustic panels and they are about 25mm thick.

The speakers arent permanently placed and the things you mention does not make that awful sound go away.

Maybe that woul help some, but i donā€™t like this empty space on both sides, it looks untidy and takes a lot of space i can use on something else. This is my livingroom, so i donā€™t want it to look messy.
The best solution for me is to build the mentioned ā€˜cubicleā€™ for my workstation.
If this wonā€™t solve my problem i consider moving my workstation to my bedroom instead.

25 cm could work, but 25 mm not at all.

Itā€™s not absorbing at that frequencies independent of the material you use.

http://www.acousticmodelling.com/8layers/porous.php

Whatā€™s the height of the room?

About 240cm

If it is rectangular you have a good chance to figure out which mode is responsible by using this calculator

I also would place the speakers in middle of the wall and if possible to the shorter wall. Optimum listening position is ca. 1/3 of the room length from the front wall. The one you are looking atā€¦

1 Like

About 240cm

Interesting I tried to calculate the distance of the walls according to the resonance frequency (130hz), and thought that 2.6m seemed like a little short for a living room. That is speed of sound (343m/s) divided by 130 hz (1/s).

But now I see that 343m/s / 2.4m = 142.9 hz.

So maybe the resonance is not only due to the walls that the speakers are facing, but due to the sound bouncing between floor and ceiling?

2 Likes

also you have no guarantee building a wall will fix this

you could buy those panels and make a couple things filled with rock wool insulation
click the link and scroll down for tons of pictures/ideas

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 9.23.39 PMScreen Shot 2022-08-15 at 9.22.57 PM

1 Like

I havenā€™t measured it, i just know that where i live the standard height is 240. Iā€™ll measure it when iā€™m home.

Edit: i measured now 245cm. Width is 365cm and length about 660cm.

I will try to rig up my stuff in the bedroom instead and see if that works better, but eventually i want to build a ā€˜cubicleā€™ or room in my livingroom.
I think iā€™ll try some of those panels and use them to make thicker resonant boxes similar to the ones kingdoobie posted if i have to.

On troldtekt.com i calculated my room and ended up with the answer 376ā€¦
I donā€™t really know what it means and the calculation isnā€™t 100% correct as i estimated the doors and windows and i have a door opening into another room without any door and some furniture that is not calculated.

Have you already tried to put the speakers on a dampening, i.e. on foam sockets, or for a test you can also put them onto a folded blanket or something like that. Just to make sure it is not the desk vibrating with the speakers.

And I remember a room I once had where I wanted to install large studio monitors. The walls, floor etc. were made of concrete, even when there was carpet on the floor it was a horror of dull resonances in the bass/mid, I did not have the money for proper sound dampening so I sent the speakers back and used headphones instead.

1 Like

I tried holding the monitor in my hand placing it in different areas, but acoustics is not good.
Anyhow, iā€™ve moved my workstation in to my bedroom instead now. I havenā€™t been able to fully test it at high volumes yet, but hope this will be a good temporary solution.