Weird resonant tone in my monitors?!?

Haha, i took a look inside one of the monitors and i’m pretty sure these are gonners:
20221001_212341
I could probably fix it, but i’m not sure it’s worth the hassle. I saw some videos on youtube and they pretty much concluded the electronics are made of low quality components. I see at least 4 blown capacitors and a lot of gunk spattered everywhere and suspected broken resistors.
My plan is to replace the electronics with a stereo amplifier board and subwoofer board and see if they’re usable that way.

Replacement components are probably relatively cheap. So if you’re handy with a soldering iron and are capable of de-soldering things it might be a fun project. Or at least doable.

But first this:

Quoted for truth.

Why do you keep telling me to test the monitors in a different home over and over? I have already done this months ago and this won’tt unfry the broken components in my monitors.
I’m not going to do anything to repair this crap and i will rip out the electronics and repurpose the speakers. And i will never buy anything from KRK ever again.

I have been building my own electronics for 20 years and i would probably be able to repair this, but first off it would cost more than 100$ and i would have no guarantee that i have discovered every faulty component and no guarantee that the rest of the components would last much longer.

1 Like

Regarding this vendor, KRK monitors aren’t the best ones, even the expensive variants. Had a bit more expensive 7 inches of KRK, then at some point I realized that they distort quite a lot. I think there is a nice and simple test for speaker distortion: Load a clean sine preset, and play it polyphonically in a dissonant way. Now increase volume. You clearly should hear obvious distortion.

Maybe this sounds like nonsense, but try to put two big, weighty pillows behind your speakers, esp. behind the left one in that edge :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Also put some cheap foam under the speakers, so the table does not resonate that much.

1 Like

They had a very premium line used by Robert Babicz.

Distortion listening test

https://www.klippel.de/listeningtest/?v=3

2 Likes

With music I go down to - 30dB

Maybe or better speakers