What about a Renoise DSP VST3? (Renoise & Fabien Schivre)

Hi
Today i’ve got reply from Fabien (the maker of TDR plugins ) (the only plugins i swear by)

my question was about his effort in the terms of Renoise DSP programming, whereas he replied:

Hi Dusan,
yes, I built a few effect modules, the maximizer, the bus compressor, and I think also a saturator. But this stuff is super old and I haven’t found the time to contribute to renoise since then.

also i’ve asked him if there is possibility that he might involve again in the future for the DSP programming…

while still waiting for his answer, i’d also like to ask @taktik if this is possible at some point? (i guess this is marginal question, but i’m highly interested in such topic).

Thanks

I once made some kind of analysis of a lot of compressors (including TDR), and found out that only the Renoise compressors, esp. the bus compressor seem to have a very specific unique release curve bending. Hence the unique character in my opinion. Would be also interested in some backgrounds, but I guess only the original developers can tell such a story, and not sure if they want to. Also you might mail Taktik personally instead?

2 Likes

yes, i think i’ve asked couple of times, without reply
-but i also wanted to see the opinion of other Renoisers about this topic as well :slight_smile:

Since you contacted one of the Renoise DSP authors now, maybe a topic also could be “What about a Renoise DSP VST3” ?

1 Like

Haah , I didn’t know the comp/limiter etc was done by Fabien .
Nice info , but I almost never use them .lot’s of better stuff to be found

1 Like

well, yeah, i do not use them as much as i’ve could, too, but the info that Fabien did his ‘magic’ inside Renoise is really refreshing. Imagine Slick EQ M somehow built-in (with renoise generic gui ofc), or TDR Nova, or TDR Limiter… or the old Proximity… (part of those would be awesome, too) but not something that i ‘need to have’ :slight_smile:

You might call me a noob, but I totally like a lot of Renoise DSP and STILL even missing some in Bitwig, after all this time. And I absolutely like the compressors, I love the extremely constant / solid sound of the normal compressor even with very low settings and also the bus compressor for some specific scenarios. Also I am very used to it, and I am old already. Surely I can emulate also any aspect of these using Melda MDynamics, but I also dream of a very easy way to convert any Renoise song in no time to any other DAW, thanks to the awesome renoise DSP VST3, which also imports any DSP settings from a Renoise song.

Also I barely found any VST like the distortion, even it seems to be pretty simple in an algorithmical view. The distortion with an heavy amount, but mixed in by a very subtle amount is an absolutely nice secret weapon.

Blah blah blah, only nerds might care, but I also found a lot of components in Renoise already done/finished. For instance, the very very nice analyzer could be easily the background for the Renoise eq. Ok, UVI came up with Shade lately, I wondered if they read my Renoise forum posts!

But as always in the end this seems to be a question about developer time, and this seems to be very rare and focused on the most important things.

Also I find a lot of very modern compressor VSTs kind of “overengineered” or having a bad ratio of ease of use vs. control. For instance Pro-C2 looks very great GUI wise, but also those compressor modes seem to be very abritary choosen and often introduce a ton of latency for unhearable quality reasons. Also the result very often sounded pretty inconstant. This is not the case with Renoise DSP.

1 Like

airwindows tape (among many distortion plugins which sound fantastic), sonnox inflator… tdr limiter distortion module… :slight_smile:

this was also one of my requests for the eq, since analyzer is available, why just not combine them and profit in any aspect :slight_smile:

well even the bitwig dynamics module surpasses native compressor of renoise just by the ability to put anything in the chain of the actual audio chain that triggers the compressor… making it sensitive to certain frequencies… or opposite… smoothing out the audio - to get somewhat different results than usual compression… etc… I won’t even start talking about kotelnikov or molotov… but i agree that it’s simple and it sounds great… i often lean toward more control of some elements…

also negative viewpoint for renoise compressor - that it has unique sound, thus making it impossible to make it neutral at some points… just because it has ‘sweet spot’ like you elaborate…

Thanks but those are completely different to the distortion fx algorithms. I am looking for a exact replacement providing clip, softclip, fold etc, mix and that tilt filter maybe, too.

You are right, I like the bitwig dynamics, too. But for instance the normal bitwig compressor sounds to me more like a distortion fx :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

about clipper device, did you try adclip? i love it for that matter… nonetheless i love bitwig devices - and the signal path devices before actual device, so you can make complex path - to exactly meet your needs… :slight_smile:

about compressor:

but the point of bitwig compressor is that it emulates ‘vintage’ type of compressor… that’s why we have dynamics after all… also the two boxes in the reverb device are so flexible that i mostly do not use vst in terms of reverbs…

thank you for healthy discussion nonetheless :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sure. I agree. Yes, let’s keep some brainstorming discussion about this. For my personally, I do NOT look for yet another analog emulation FX. Actually, I don’t really care too much about accurate emulation of old gear I never used either. I really want very digital fx, which provides accurate mathematical algorithms and control instead trying to be analog and hiding the “fake” within it. And those kind of plugins I rarely see these days. That’s why I really like the Renoise DSP. Same for filter VSTs. In early 2000, there were those battery filter VSTs, which provided a huge list of filter, but naming it by the actual algorithm, not by analog synth naming conventions. Today I can only find very overhyped filter VSTs providing only one or two filter types, or general “workstation like” filters, which to my ears do not sound better at all than those ancient plugins from early 2000. Not at all.

1 Like

yes, Bitwig made option for both types of people, i think because of the equality in the world :stuck_out_tongue:
I personally use TDR plugins, because they not intend to recreate analog stuff, rather they provide the best possible digital plugins…
I agree, i do not chase analog-type-of-emulations whatsoever… but i used to back then when i knew nothing about plugins in general…

adding to this: i really miss the emulator X3 - and i’m really sad that development stopped, because i liked effects in that plugin more than anything… distortion… compression… exciter… it was so sweet sounding, that you couldn’t do wrong… and it did not try to recreate anything… it was just their best attempt to make it the best possible…
but i get your point and i agree with you on this… I always reach for tool that can do X Y Z, rather than tool which can do only X - but just because it’s an ‘analog emulation’… of course there are benefits and downsides… i personally have hard time deciding what should i do with anything in audio domain… so having too many choices can be daunting at times… buuuuut… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Heh, sure, way too much choice, but at the same time, kinda the same only. I really like Zebrify as fx unit, since it provides a lot of good stuff.

1 Like

I’m reading through all this, and wondering - would this be a ‘DSP playground’ sort of VST3? Meaning, would the end-user be able to fiddle with DSP components inside the VST3, or would the DSP from Renoise be ported via VST3 to use in other DAWs?

All I’ve been asking for, since I began and continue to use Renoise - some sort of micro-modular effects possibilities to increase the amount of abstract effects that could be created within Renoise. Plainly put, FM and granular possibilities.

Exporting the plugins from Renoise for other DAWs - well, that’s neat too. I wouldn’t use 'em outside of Renoise, but a TON of other people would. They’re very good!

2 Likes