What can Renoise do that Ableton can't?

It seems that the OP asked what Renoise (the company) can do that Ableton (not “Live”, their product) can’t.

3 Likes

T!KTAK :grin:

can’t be done or can it be? decide already

its great you mention the two programs which feature a bottom screen strip where fx are added, that can’t be dragged up or down. you’re locked into this safe space i equate to a russian gulag.

good lord… you must be fun at parties… :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Fact, ableton redux & erosion need updates so bad.

1 Like

Using Renoise is pure fun, like a simcity for sound.
Ableton is more like microsoft word imho :troll:

Renoise can save you from getting an RSI from using a mouse all the time :smiley:

I think for the most part, you can achieve almost the exact same audio renders from any modern DAW. However, I think in terms of workflow, that Renoise feels highly specialized and extremely fast at working in the way it’s designed to be used. Ableton, to me, feels more generalized. I absolutely love Renoise’s UX, and the way of working using the keyboard, commands, etc… the whole program just feels so creative. Ableton feels more clinical to me, and I just have no desire to use it these days.

2 Likes

How about automation curves? They were a pain in the ass in Live some years ago. Are rounded curves now possible? Will you have to redesign every point manually to avoid stepping?

1 Like

Colour themes - navigation by keyboard . Beats Ableton. Beats everyone.

force you to come up with hacky, creative, convoluted solutions to things you can do easily in other daws… :upside_down_face:

with the upshot being that you get more creative with problem solving & lateral thinking

plus that shit’s fun

3 Likes

Screenshot 2022-08-27 at 20.17.42
not sure about past, but now those are easy as alt+drag between points to adjust curve

true, but sometimes totally opposite - as it depends of your approach to making music/ working in daw… do you want problem-solving approach… music-making… simple playing & overdubbing… tracking… experimenting with cv… etc

Totally true. I really appreciate the precision of control available in renoise and how much easier it is to quickly get the kinds of sounds I’m after within its workflow

1 Like

well, keyboard-centric - nothing beats Renoise in my opinion… :slight_smile: and i simply love to fast-arrange stuff… it makes me somewhat ‘satisfied’ even if i know that in AbletonLive/Bitwig/Reason i’d have more visual control over cluster of notes for example… but still the emotion says Renoise :smiley:

In my opinion, trackers are the most natural way to make music using a computer.
I never felt home with anything else.

2 Likes

Pretty much nothing at all, Renoise and Live are both used to make music, listeners have no idea which was used.

2 Likes

“What can a Pencil do that a Pen can’t”…
Its just a Pen, and a Pencil. Each has its onw task.

2 Likes

I’ve always liked beatsync much better than timestretch overall you have much more control over samples imo in Renoise.

I’ve used Redux in Live just saying

2 Likes