What Did You Use Prenoise?

Nothing

unless you count like the 5 hours I spent with psycle. Not a bad program by any means, but I dug renoise’s gui and it was available for mac.

(PC) MED soundstudio

Fr00ty L00pZ

• FT2.09
  • NTK3
  • Renoise 1.11 - Renoise 1.9.1

well it’s a good job you discovered the great renoise,

I’m talking for UK here, but when i think of fruityloops, i get the picture in my mind of teenagers making that awful ‘donk’ music.

http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?sho…c=13197&hl=

music2000 (playstation) for three wonderful years
fruityloops for about 2 months
ableton
renoise - god knows how i found it - never heard of trackers before v1.8 but i instantly picked it up - have tried others since but never been able to use them in anyway near the way i can with renoise

fooled around lots, but started somewhat seriously with fruityloops. then moved to ableton and used that to this day as my main tool (with renoise). then i got into cubase for more professional mixing type stuff, and to track live off the floor. picked up reason more as an instrument than a sequencer, just send midi to it and audio out and such (or rewire).

I started on Amiga using Noise- and SoundTracker… StarTrekker… then MED V1. A loooong long period using OctaMED V4 (which was awesome and quick to use, plus had MIDi-support and builtin-soundsynthesis). Then for a few years I used Amiga SoundStudio for MIDI-stuff which had it good and bad sides, and later on tried pc-trackers like SoundStudio, FT2, ImpulseTracker, Buzz… which all are/were lousy excuse for trackers. Aside these I also did quite many tunes on THX2 aka AHX.

Its been a long and interesting 20-years voyage in tracking. Notable is that I never used ProTracker except tried them when a new version came out. All versions were unusable for me and I always went back to MED/OctaMED.

In chronological order:

Fast Tracker II (1996)
Impulse Tracker (1998)
Fruity Loops (2000)
Psycle (not for long)
Reason (not for long)
Buzz (not for long)
Renoise (2002)
Nuendo (2006)

What!? You didn’t stop at Renoise!? :eek:

Actually Renoise is still my main sequencer. Nuendo I just use when working on styles more suited to traditional sequencers ie: orchestral.

My first app music composing application I ever tried was a demo version of Scream Tracker from a friends music magazine. Did not understand how to use it, but eventually we worked out how to load a sample. Hehe, those where the days. ;)

Then later some years I got addicted to Impulse Tracker. Never got into the Fast Tracker program, only used it a few times.

Then few years ago I tried Renoise, and it was quite good, but still it was not the same feeling like IT had. So in frustration I wasted my time trying to learn FL Studio… Sad but true I could not find FL intuitive enough to use my time in.

1 month ago I came back and tried Renoise again, and I must say its been improved alot since last time. I like it, and probably will stay with it for years to come (i hope). :yeah:

The tracker usage mileage for me starting from somewhere around '86

C64
Rockmonitor 3, 4, 5
Digitracker
Soedesoft Editor
Music Assembler

Also used Turbo assembler routines, but they were not surrounded by a fat ass tracker-gui.

Amiga
Noisetracker
Protracker 2, 3
Audiosculpture
OctaMed
StarTrekker
Oktalyzer
A few i forgot…

PC
Various lousy mod-editors (speaker only crap) including FastTracker 1 (that was a big piece of shit)
Screamtracker 3
Fasttracker 2
Impulse Tracker 2.06 -> 2.15
Renoise 1.28 -> Renoise 8.0 (by that time i’m already retired)

FT2
Skale
Renoise
Stairway
to Heaven

ProTracker -> ScreamTracker 3 -> ImpulseTracker 2 -> renoise

I’ve experimented with several soft but most of them are not worth mentioning.
I started with SoundClub - a freeware sequencer written by some Estonians. (actually I started with 2 cassette recorders)
After that I tried making music with cooledit by chopping samples.
So there was a bunch of programs I tried out after that, and ended up with Reason witch I used for many years.
Then I realized how pointless is to keep piles of refills on my hdd for one program. And if I made backup of my songs and all those reason refills and samples, after format it was a total nightmare… (who ever has used reason for some longer period, knows what I’m talking about…)
Now I’m very satisfied with having Renoise.
Also I use Ableton Live as well but it just a “tool” for me.

What the heck are those last 3? Never heard of those… Or I just don’t catch your humor.

1992 - octamed
1994 - taketracker
1996 - ft2
2002 - ntk
2003 - renoise 1.25! :] tadaaa!

OctaMED and less ProTracker in Amiga days…

Along with Renoise I rarely use Reason and Live, and Auditon for sound editing and some mastering.

nothing interesting, ft2->renoise. and i used at2, goattrk, rad and other trackers as well…

Started 1993 with Scream Tracker -> Fast Tracker II -> Impulse Tracker -> Fruity Loops (haven’t used it very long, but did a few songs with it) -> Renoise.

1990 - Fostex X15 + guitar
1995 - Cubase 1.0 and casiotone keyboards
2001 - Music Center Pro
2003 - Fruityloops
2003 - Sonar (1 month)
2003 - Magix
2004 - Tracktion
2005 - Renoise
2008 - Versatracker