What Entry Level Monitors To Get??

• 1 from me. I got the 601a and really like them.

The VRM box has been really great. I feel it has helped me a lot to make my songs somehow listenable via different equipment. I realized that mid range in my mixes was (and probably is) pretty messy or just too silent (too much bass and highs).

Though biggest help has been a book Mixing Secrets by Mike Senior. Learned that ported monitors produce a lot of rubbish with bass tones. Had to fill my Truth holes with socks after listening this http://www.cambridge-mt.com/SiteAudio/MSFTSS/Ch1/MS0101_LFSinewTones.wav

And I just got myself Avantone Mixcubes. Sounds horrible but definitely helps me in mixing more than Truths. I will probably mix my next song with headphones (DT 880 produces enough bass for my tracks) and Avantones and check the result now and then with VRM box.

That’s my experience so far. Although I know I am still inexperienced in mixing, so Behringer fans, don’t shoot me :)

Mackie HR624 Mk2 (true love)

But i really do need to get some better cans for reference and that VRM box looks like an interesting option too

have to admit that the vrm stuff is kinda cool for headphone mixing. hated the sound of it at first, sounds kinda like some weird ass reverb/delays going on and not exactly real. but after forcing myself to use it, yup, especially with some swapping around of presets, headphone mixes sound better on speakers.

not that my mixes sound good, but better is usually better, right?

Just recommended my mate to buy these actually - read very good things about them and noticed a review here which made me consider buying them myself at one point:

Having just got a chance to listen to them yesterday I have to say that they sound fantastic! Very clear sound, uncoloured and without an overwhelming low end. I settled for Mackie MR5 MK2 active monitors a long time back and they are the tits! Skinned me £270 but they consistently give high quality output and I’d advise them to anyone over the similar priced KRK Rokit 5s - I found them a bit grungy and susceptible to distortion. But if you want the industry standard then go for them; it’s all down to what you think you need I suppose.

A spectrum analyzer is not going to help with mixing and panning, as much as, “knowledge and practice would.” If you have simple questions like that, the best place to start is with books, and tutorials on music production. And then ofcourse, “practice.” Mixing to an analyzer is going to screw you up in the long run. I just use em, to eyeball very, very subby bass. as my monitors don’t tell me what that is

Like 2daze said
Also don’t get entry level monitors, unless you got other gear to sell to get them or sth, I got 2 old stereos hooked on the out and the monitor of my el cheapo usb sound card (sort by price, pick first one with decent looking box) and it rocks.

I’ve had my KRK Rokit 5’s for over five years now. They still look and sound great. Love em’ and for the price, they are a rock solid buy.

-BB

I picked up a used pair of Rokit 8’s (first gen) probably four year ago, for $250 for the pair on Craigslist. Then I found an RP10s for $200. They continue to work out very nicely.

Except, now KRK released the RP10-3’s and the 12sHO… I has the gearlust all over again.

I’m using a KRK Rokit 5 and they serve me well for my purposes.

This post got me interested a while back, and I’ve been reading tests and reviews of these like a madman. All reviews I’ve read says these are rediculously underpriced/overspecced, and should be compared to monitors 5x the price. I’ve nearly not seen a bad comment about these, so I feel comfortable making the plunge. I’ll be placing my order by next week, if all goes according to plan.
I’ve found them at juno (uk, http://www.juno.co.uk/products/equator-d5-active-studio-monitors-pair/457891-01/) and Thomann (Ger, http://www.thomann.de/intl/equator_d5.htm) for about 300 eruro/pounds. That’s twice the price they are in the US, so I’m gonna buy them directly from their homepage. The shipping cost is a bit more from the us, but the total price will be a lot less than if bought from juno or thomann. If I’m not mistaking, I just have to pay (Norwegian) tax/vat in addition to the product and shipping.

I also currently have the Alesis M1 active Mk2, but they are collecting dust atm because of the dried out component, in both speakers. I plan to get them fixed by buying new powersupplies, as I’m no good with a soldering iron. I think the M1 and the D5 will complement eachother just fine for referencing. The guys at Equator are the same guys who made the Alesis’, the KEF Q-series and the founders of Event, iirc, so they most defo know their craft.

some highlights from reviews:

“if there’s a better speaker that’s even close to this price range, I haven’t heard it. The midrange has excellent definition, particularly in the upper mids - they’re smooth and non-fatiguing.”
Electronic Musician Magazine

“The D5 could arguably top a “$750 and under” small monitor classification; sonically, I agree that they compete with heavyweight competition from names such as like Neumann, Genelec and Focal, all of which are much costlier.”
Pro Audio Review Magazine

“The D5 studio monitor is high quality, low in cost, sounds fantastic, offers amazing detail and imaging, and is backed by a 60 day money-back guarantee.”
Tape Op Magazine

“I soon realized that something special is going on here.”
Recording Magazine

“This is a no-brainer: Buy these speakers. You will not be disappointed.”
Mix Magazine

“Precise, uncoloured reproduction is impressive enough, but it was the D5s’ mid-range clarity and detail - especially around the crossover point - that really grabbed me.”
Sound on Sound Magazine

I saw on gearslutz that the price of these equators is actually on the way up. I guess the company was having like an intro sale or something…

Well… Goodluck with them, let us know what you think.

Cheers

Shit! I didn’t know that. It just happened yesterday :( I’m gonna have to rethink this now.

Despite the small bit of brand-bashing toward the start of this thread, I love my M-Audio BX5 D2s. They’re the second pair of M-Audio monitors I’ve owned, the first being a set of StudioPro 4s (also called StudioPhile 4s) that lasted me 7 years before the volume pot picked up so much carbon that it shorted; in the end I couldn’t get anything less than full gain in the left channel, no matter where the volume knob was at. Those were very nice little monitors for $150.

The BX5s are 70 watts each, bi-amplified (30 watts per tweeter and 40 watts per woofer), are good and solid (tight bass and low cabinet resonance), curved to minimize diffraction, ported in the back (bad if they’re going near a wall or corner, but otherwise good for keeping extended bass from overpowering the rest of the mix), and have a reasonably flat response (slight bias in the bass, but that could also be my acoustics). They’re spec-ed at a range of 53Hz-22kHz, but they reproduce frequencies down below 40Hz before either they drop off or my ears stop registering.

And they’re priced at $300 for the pair.

As for using a spectrum analyzer, I’d highly recommend it. But don’t bother with the one in Renoise. The resolution is too limited, particularly in amplitude, and that’s where you need to see more detail for mixing. As an alternative, I’d recommend Voxengo’s SPAN, a free VST/AU analyzer plug-in that I’ve been using for the last 4 or 5 years. And I love it, especially changes added in version 2.

It should be a guide, though. Not the final verdict.

I just got a pair of the Equator D5’s on Monday. They sound great except for one of them has a buzz on the bass kicks. I sent the owner Ted Keffalo the following message tonight. I can email pics of the defect for those who are interested. I will follow up with my experience with customer service.

Hi Mr. Keffalo,
I received my D5’s on Monday, and I am generally very happy with their overall sound quality. Unfortunately, one of the monitors has a distinct buzz on bass or kick hits. I think I have discovered the source of the problem. There appears to be an excess resin or glue bead on the tweeter that looks like it might have a small crack in it. I suspect it is functioning like a tiny vibrating diaphragm. But there is a definite buzz coming from the one monitor that I don’t hear in the other. I have attached a couple pics for your reference. Since I really like the monitors, I would really just like to get a replacement unit pursuant to your 60 day exchange guarantee Could you advise what steps I should take to get this apparently defective unit replaced?
Many thanks for your time and assistance.

I think that Equator should replace that for you promptly and, “no questions asked.” Good luck, let us know how it turns out. I’m glad to hear the other one sounds great though. Were you able to get them, before the price increase?

I imagine, that once your monitor is replaced, these things will be quite a score…

I did just notice that the price just jumped by 100 bucks so I do feel like I scored by ordering them last week. Will follow up when I get the one monitor replaced.

Sure enough, my new D5 came from equator today and the annoying buzz is gone. Customer service was excellent and prompt. No questions asked about my return, although I did attach a photo of what I believed was the source of the defect. They even asked me if fedex or ups was more convenient and included prepaid shipping certificate with the new unit. I thought it was really nice they didn’t make me return the unit before sending me a new one.
Over, a very painless process, and I am really pleased with the sound of the monitors. I feel like my mixes are much more consistent across different setup (ie car, stereo, headphones) after mixing on these.
Props to 2 daze j for informing me about these sweet tweeters. :D

I picked up a pair of m-audio bx8’s a few months ago, after spending some time at my local guitar center listening to many of their monitors side by side. The guy had a really nice switchboards so you could toggle between speakers instantly and really hear the differences. I initially wanted to buy KRK’s because of positive reaction on this forum but after listening to them I was astounded at the lack of bass and thoroughly impressed with the range m-audios. I got them for steal at $300 thanks to guitar center’s price match. What was also nice as they are sold as a pair in a box so you only have to purchase one pro coverage warranty rather than two.

before that i was using my sony stereo from 1998 ^_^/>

“Phonic P8A” are low budget china monitors but a lot of reviews name them great for it’s price (better than comparable Behringer speakers).