What genre of music you mainly compose with Renoise?

Hi Renoiser!

I’ve posted a form like this, but a long long time ago, so a repost one, by curiosity :

What genre of music you mainly compose with Renoise?
Multiple choices are ok :slight_smile:

• Drum’n’bass / Breakbeat / Step
  • EDM
  • Dance / House
  • Techno / Trance
  • Experimental
  • Chill-out / Lounge / Healing
  • Ambient
  • Synthwave
  • Electronica
  • Chiptune
  • Pop / Rock / Electro rock
  • Hip-hop / Rap / Trap
  • Jazz / Blues / Fusion
  • Cinematic / Orchestral
  • Other

0 voters

1 Like

I mainly use Renoise for techno and drum n’ bass but I plan to make a synth-pop/new wave album with it.

renoise is so great for beatslicing and associated techniques, so that’s what i do most of the time. the result is breakbeat/experimental i guess.

example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-2ef5fKlNA

1 Like

Reggae and sometimes synthwave

I mainly compose healing music :innocent: and lounge musics, also sometimes EDM like future bass.

However I have also used Renoise for composing cinematics or orchestral-like sounds but I have to say that this is possible but not simple by this way IMHO.

Primarily psytrance: hitech, forest, swamp
Some dubstep, ambient, healing, dungeon synth, and experimental as well

Still in the honeymoon phase but the intent is to mKe some Gabber, jungle and oldskool hardcore.

1 Like

@cantti, I love it when someone does something different that breaks a DAW’s stereotypes :+1:

Well I think I’ve forgot to add a choice as “world music / traditional” in the list :thinking:

There’s a lot what’s missing. Country, Schlager, Metal, Reggae/Dub and so on, just to name some of them. Many electronic music styles are missing, too. Like the most important and best stuff ever in the whole universe, and that’s Electro. That’s why I had to choose “Other”. As probably many of you already know, I’m producing primarily Electro, secondarily Synthwave and sometimes something else (like Electronica, Rap or whatever).

I’m surprised to not even see IDM in this list!

Yes, seeing this list 4 years after, it’s really not complete. The difficulty is to find big categories that could fit for the diversity of all genres (but even for that some are missing).

But the post is from 4 years ago I’m not sure it make sense to make modifications now after lots of votes.

So far the most quoted term here is “experimental”. ^^

You’re right, you need to find the main genres that cover all the sub genres.

In my opinion these are the main genres and I’m sure this would cover pretty much everything:
Techno
Trance
House
Acid
Electro
Dance
EDM
Synthwave
Chiptune
Electronica
Hardcore
Industrial
Experimental
Ambient
Chill Out
Lounge
DNB
Breakbeat
Jungle
Garage
Dubstep
Trap
IDM
Downtempo
Trip Hop
Hip Hop/Rap
R&B/Soul
Reggae/Dub
Pop
Wave
Post Punk/Dark Wave
Indie
Rock
Metal
Punk
Singer/Songwriter
Country
Rock’N’Roll
Blues
Jazz
Funk
Disco
World
Folk
Schlager
Orchestral
Opera

As you can see the list is 3 times longer than the list above, and these are the main genres only. I also put Schlager in even if you can find this kind of special “Pop” music primarily in german speaking countries. Your healing music is nothing else than Ambient (if there’s a difference it’s the frequency of the instruments). And those who wonder where to put Breakcore, it’s Hardcore. There’s also an incomplete and in my opinion not 100% correct list on Wikipedia, just to get an idea about the number of genres and subgenres. Btw, I didn’t list “Electronic” because Electronic is the summary of ALL electronic music styles.

2 Likes

Yeah! Interesting, I agree the wikipedia list seems not complete too. It’s a big subject, more about musicology.

The goal on a poll is also to have a global view, so let’s try a bit to arrange a bit more the list by categories, if the poll would be made again :slight_smile:

I’ve identified some big categories to help:
Music genres based on electronic
Music genres based on modern music band (electric or unplugged)
Music genres based on acoustic

Then:

• EDM / Techno / Trance / House / Disco / Dance / Acid / Hardcore
• Electronica / Electro / Synthwave / IDM / Chiptune / Wave
• DNB / Breakbeat / Jungle / Dubstep / Garage
• Hip Hop / R&B / Soul
• Downtempo / Chill Out / Trip Hop / New-Age / Healing
• Ambient
• Industrial
• Experimental
• Pop / Rock / Electro Rock
• Metal / Punk / Post Punk
• Rock’N’Roll
• Blues / Jazz / Funk / Reggae / Dub
• World Music / Traditional / Schlager / Celtic / Latin / Country
• Singer / Songwriter
• Orchestral / Opera / Classic / Neo-classic

List with 15 entries, readable!

• Other ??

There are lots of merged genres like « Celtic Rock », so multiple quotes is necessary.

« Healing » is most historicaly a sub-genre of « New-Age », but you are right it could be sub-genre of « Ambient » too, depend of the composition.

IDM all the way in.
Renoise is great to experiment with different sample processing and pattern sequencing at weird tempos - perfect for IDM.

1 Like

What about Bulgarian Pop ?

2 Likes

That’s something! Great! :fire: :zap: That Bulgarian Pop video I mean.

Btw - what is Electronica, any examples?

That might’ve had a significant meaning at one point in time, but I think nowadays it’s mostly used to encompass pretty much all electronic music under one umbrella, but it varies by country which is kind of funny.

Originally, it might’ve encompassed IDM / braindance and things not related to club music.

Once again I’m in the smallest group in a poll :grin:
Jazz… However it’s ambient jazz, quite often I’m inspired by first Blade Runner sound track. But no it’s not the only genre for me.

1 Like