What happens exactly while a Renoise midi reset?

Hi,

what exactly will happen if I double-left-click the Renoise stop button, esp. regarding VSTs? There will be send a midi reset message (what is this exactly), and what happens additionally? And will this reset always automatically done before a rendering?

Background: In UVI Falcon, one commercial preset will be almost destroyed, as soon as I do a reset, or a render. The support was so kind to analyze this issue and they told me, it is because Renoise uses MIDI CC120 while resetting, so lot of the parts of the sounds are muted or something. So I should unlearn midi cc 120.

Sounds like a bug with the plugin if a standard message puts it in an unrecoverable state.

CC120 is “All notes off, (ignoring release times etc.)”

I would imagine Renoise sends MIDI CC #120 (All Sounds Off) and MIDI CC #123 (All Notes Off) on all 16 Midi channels, and that’s probably just pressing the stop button once.

And will this reset always automatically done before a rendering?

Yes, probably and probably at the end of rendering.

If this is done before rendering, then why do i hear VST’s release at the beginning of a render if i don’t manually stops it and lets the release out before rendering?
Try for instance TAL Bassline with some sustain and release, just make an empty pattern, then a pattern with some notes. Then press the stop button once while notes are playing and render the song. You will hear the VST playing at the beginning of the track before any notes are triggered.

If this is done before rendering, then why do i hear VST’s release at the beginning of a render if i don’t manually stops it and lets the release out before rendering?

I think this is the case, because even after Renoise will fill in the vst buffers with 0 (at least I read this somewhere here before, I think it was a statement by taktik), a plugin may have an internal buffer going on, e.g. a delay feedback buffer, which will not be cleaned while a midi reset. So it is fully up to the plugin how to react. It works with some plugins, and not with others.

But I am not sure, that’s why I would like to know what exactly is happening.

I would imagine Renoise sends MIDI CC #120 (All Sounds Off) and MIDI CC #123 (All Notes Off) on all 16 Midi channels, and that’s probably just pressing the stop button once.

Yes, probably and probably at the end of rendering.

Hm, ok thanks. I also never had any problems with any other VSTis so far. Only here, so would you say that Falcon does not follow common standards?

so would you say that Falcon does not follow common standards?

I’m afraid I can only wild speculate ffx? I would imagine (and this applies to TB’s question as well), there is really only two people who could give you a fairly good answer: 1) Person(s) who wrote Renoise and 2) the developer of the plugin(s). (Again pure speculation on my part), but if you only experience it with the one plugin then more biased to the plugin ignoring the midi messages?? Rubbish answer I know, but what can you do with (commercial closed doesn’t help) software you haven’t written yourself? Only speculate on more technical matters, get no answer whatsoever…or (more lucky?) get an answer from the developer(s) themselves. Maybe then the community shouldn’t speculate on issues not completely known/understood? So if that be the case you are left with 1) No answer at all or 2) (if developer of software(s) has the time…unlikely) an answer from them :unsure:

So if that be the case you are left with 1) No answer at all or 2) (if developer of software(s) has the time…unlikely) an answer from them :unsure:

I would like to read a short comment by the Renoise devs, if they can afford such 5 minutes maybe. Thank you.