What hardware are you using with Renoise, if any?

Customizable backlit keyboard (because, no, my brain cannot remember shortcuts) - Actually the single best HW i’ve ever used with renoise
Customizable midi controller with custom duplex and a screen (because, no, my brain cannot remember what blank knobs do)

2 Likes

Yes, they do. But I wouldn’t recommend working with it. You’re limited if you work with samples and the quality is worse. If you play a melody with samples it’s not the same than directly from a VST or from Hardware and you can’t apply effects and else that easy. It would sound different and worse. Personally I would only use samples when it comes to drums, it’s even better than directly from a machine. But if samples then high quality samples only!

Just a ThinkPad with built in keyboard and trackpad(the red button mouse thing).
Built in Audio Card.
DT 770 32ohm headphones.
Zoom B1xFour to occasionaly record bass - used as a kind of bridge, noise-gate.

Anyone tried Guitar/Bass to Midi tools - like Sonuus G2M V3? I want to use bass as midi-input device - ‘keyboard’, monophonic is fine for me.

Ah I can see I’m not alone into this case!

I have a few hardware instruments that I really love to play as standalone but it’s hard to me to succesfully use it with Renoise or another DAW.

Seem too different ways to make music for me: I play hadware intuitively, and when I’m sitting behind my computer I make music into quite a cerebral way (I litteraly write music, especialy in Renoise as computer keyboard is used a lot).

I’m not yet desperate to make both ways matched one day! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Interesting. I also use Logic (kind of went tracker on Amiga in the 90s —> Logic -> rediscovered tracking with Renoise), and I find using hardware synths with it much more intuitive. And yet, I love so much about Renoise, and really want to integrate the hardware into my workflow more. I thought about Redux in Logic, tried the demo, but that’s not the answer. I actually really like Renoise for sequencing the external gear. Maybe I should rewire Logic and Renoise, but that always seems a lot of hassle.

The nearest I have come is using Renoise to create a “Song Mode” for my Digitone. I can use the Digitone and create some patterns, then sequence them out, program some parameter changes via the Overbridge VST. Realistically, despite really wanting hardware I suspect that one needs a full setup of hardware for it to make sense. Taking into account my use case, I might as well have just bought Native Instruments FM8. I’m trying to decide between getting more hardware and having one software only setup (Renoise plus VSTs and FX) and one hardware setup with say Digitone and a sampler. I’m not made of money however, so I’m very much in a state of internal conflict as to how to proceed.

I just got a Boss GT-001 unit for my guitar and bass because i can’t get a decent guitar tone using only free VST’s. OMG what a difference, my guitar sounds so ridiculously much better. Not only does it sound good, it also removed all the noise i have struggled with, which sounded awful when connecting my guitar directly to my Roland Quad-capture soundcard.
I have barely tested it yet, but instantly knew this was a great buy. If i knew this would solve my noise problem, then i had bought this thing a long time ago.

81e-SLkP54L.AC_SL1500

I have the bigger version of that, LX49, but it’s too big so i rarely get around to use it. Yours look a bit more handy.

Yes…compact
A cheap “all in one”
I don’t regret this purchase

I mostly do QWERTY and mouse, but I have a few external hardware toys that I’ve used with Renoise:

MIDI CONTROLLERS

AUDIO GOODIES

I just got an amazing deal on a mint roland R8m + 3 cards ( contemp perc, jazz brush and 909 card ) all for 140 euro .
Considering the cards alone are going for 70-80 euro’s a piece .
Me happy , not long untill I wil receive my cirklon and I am sure it will be a great combo …
I’ve got a small but decent hardware set up
Nord modular
roland integra
yamaha tg 77
yamaha a 4000
Roland r8m
cirklon ( incoming )

1 Like

This Boss GT-001 thingy is even better than i thought. It didn’t really solve all my noise problems, it is just very good at hiding the noise. This thing is not just an effect box, it’s actually a soundcard with ASIO support and the thing is powered directly through the USB. It has a stereo mini jack input, an xlr input and a guitar jack input, so it’s basically everything i need in a soundcard. I can’t notice any latency at all using the asio driver.
I can connect it to my surface pro 6 and have a very portable studio solution, bring my bass, el-guitar and my microphone and make a black metal album deep inside a Norwegian forest. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Noise?

Maybe the cable faulty

Nah, the guitars aren’t properly isolated with a faraday cage and i have a mess of electronic equipment and wiring everywhere and nothing is grounded…:man_facepalming:

Quality cable?

Well…:shushing_face:

Cables have a big impact on quality
lengh of cable also

But the problem in this case is what i said above. My cable is top notch Japanese quality.

Faraday cage for guitar?