What Is A Good Tool To Calculate Exact Bpm Of A Loop?

Can anyone recommend a good tool/software that can calculate the exact bpm of a tightly edited loop?

thanks.

The calculations involved are not that complex once you know them, so you may not even need a tool if you’re only doing this once in a while.

You just need to know how long the loop is and how many beats it contains.

If you know the loop length in seconds, then:
beats per minute = 60 * ( beats / seconds )

For example, if my loop is 4 seconds long and contains 8 beats, then:
8 beats / 4 seconds = 2 beats per second
60 seconds per minute * 2 beats per second = 120 beats per minute

If you know the loop length in samples, then:
beats per minute = 60 * ( samplerate of the loop in samples per second / ( number of samples / beats ) )

For example, if my loop is 176400 samples long and contains 8 beats, then:
176400 samples / 8 beats = 22050 samples per beat
44100 samples per second / 22050 = 2 beats per second
60 seconds per minute * 2 beats per second = 120 beats per minute

Renoise’s sample editor can show you all the necessary information required to perform these calculations. You can set any of the rulers (positioned above and below the sample view) to show samples, time, etc.

It would be a nice addition if Renoise could automatically calculate and display the sample’s bpm after you enable the beat sync option.

Try the TempoTap tool?

http://tools.renoise.com/tools/tempotap

thanks for the explanations!
it took me a short while to notice that the total length of the sample is stated next to the Rec button.

i guess I’ll do it this way for now and it would be a nice addition indeed if renoise could calculate the bpm after the sync option is enabled

Also worth checking out: A Handy Collection of Sample, BPM, and Tempo Calculators.