What Is With The 2 Speed Measures..

so pretty long, like, 10 years. i mean i can set the bpm, but also “speed”. (usually 2, depends on how i feel) how’s that speed to bpm? why is it that if i prepare a loop on other application, then import this loop as wave to renoise, and it said it’s in 120 bpm there, but it’s different speed in renoise.

it’s not that important, since i can hear when things fit or not and set stuff manually whatsoever. but it would be cool to know how’s that second measure affecting the bpm.

the “speed” parameter determines “ticks per beat” value. So if speed is 6 that means that there are 6 ticks per one beat/row. (ticks are important when you use some effects (like retrigger for example) or when you record/add note delays.

when speed is 1 for example then you have resolution of 1 tick = 1 row

BPM determines tempo of the track.

Look at this that way like speed dont determine tempo/speed of the track, rather it determines the resolution of the notes/rows…

so theoretically the speed isn’t affecting the bpm in any way. 2 sequences in speed 2 are 3 sequences in 3 the bpm staying what it is

yes, the name “speed” is misleading: it actually tells at what speed the pattern will flow, but this has nothing to do with BPM.

think of that this way:

tracker plays tick by tick. Lets say you have speed set to 6. This way tracker plays 1-2-3-4-5-6 ticks and moves to next row, again plays 1-2-3-4-5-6 and moves to next row. The tick time is constant. So if you set speed to 5, tracker plays 1-2-3-4-5 ticks and moves to next row. because it played only 5 and not 6 ticks it moved to the next row faster. If you set speed to 3, tracker plays 1-2-3 ticks and moves to the next row.
So at speed 3 tracker moves to the next row twice as fast than it would with speed 6 (but rememer, this is because on each row it plays 3 ticks not 6)

Do you got it? If not then i will try to explain more… :)

I know, i rather call it slice factor, that’s a long word to put on a label.

just a little note about what trackit wrote:

it’s better to count ticks strarting from 0:
F106 means ticks 0,1,2,3,4,5 in a row.

This is better because every tick-based command (like for example the note delay 0Dxx) works only if the command value is lower than the speed value.

For example, at speed F106, you can delay a note up to 5 ticks:
0D05 will work at F106, while 0D06 will not.

i mean, suppose i have speed set on 2, bpm 120. what part of a bar (what you call row, i think) is 120 bpm? one second?

on speed 2 there can be 2 full 120 bpm sequences inserted? let me try, since i have a bpm counter in live…

because you see, the confusing part is, i can lower the speed to say, 3, and then if i set the bpm higher, i still got the same effect like when the speed was 2, the bpm are higher but i hear the bar going at the same speed.

so i guess at speed 1/bpm 120 one full 120 bpm sentence will fit in the row

at speed 2/bpm 120 two full 120 bpm sentences will fit in a row and so on… that is how i understand it. i’m check in a moment thou

oh, trackit, one tick meaning one 120 sentence…

emmm… now i dont quite understand what you mean :) but maybe i’m just tired though :unsure: its kinda late here…

What you mean by 120 bpm sentence?

if you call it that way: 1 tick = 1 sentece

then you are exactly right when saying:

“ticks” are smallest increments of time in trackers. You cant have more resolution than 1 tick. This tick is a constant frame of time (well, it depends of the tempo (bpm value) of course, but within same tempo tick is constant). By choosing the speed parameter you choose how many ticks will be in one row. In other words you just choose how may internal “slices” will be within one row.

EDIT: You can always set speed to 1 and forget about all those tick issues, cause then you will have 1 row = 1 tick. But because renoise dont support yet zooming in pattern editor, it would be really pain in ass to compose…
you can say that ticks give you “access” to higher resolution while not messing up “overview” of the pattern.

it’s clear to me now eventually, thanks

and that’s the problem <_< … non (or rare) round BPM’s and a small note resolution.
'hope this is over in one of the next Renoise versions. it disturbs the interplay with the whole world of professional electronic music creation …

It’s just a conspiracy against DJ’s to prevent them from mixing your work into their dancemixes.

B) more a conspiracy of lazy coders in the past
(don’t get me wrong - nothing against the Renoise coders ;) )

Heh… http://amp.dascene.net/detail.php?view=398…etail=interview

So you really really can’t blame that guy for not thinking of real bpm compability :P (IIRC those two speed parameters were Amiga hardware related anyway (e.g. there was a difference in playback between PAL/NTSC))

Yes, this is late.

Speed and tempo work like this:

At Speed 6, every 4th line is on a beat.
At Speed 3, every 8th line is on a beat.

So halving speed to 3 either:

• Doubles your timing resolution (allows, say, 32nd notes, at 8 rows/beat); or
  • Doubles your tempo (if you decide to use only 4 rows/beat)

Wanna do triplets over 1 beat at Speed 6:
C-4 – -- ----- C-4 – D4 -----
C-4 – D2 -----

Wanna do triplets over 1 beat at Speed 3:
C-4 – -- ------

C-4 – D2 ------

C-4 – D1 ------

Triplets over 1/2 beat at Speed 3:
C-4 – -- ----- C-4 – D2 -----
C-4 – D1 -----

Cheers