What norms do you consider when declaring that some tune is ‘pure trash’ or ‘pure gold’?
for me personally there are some personal factors:
- the pitch (does not apply to microtonal stuff obviously, or if the writer had intention to provoke some ‘annoying’ state by listening the tune (movie effects for example) )
- the form of the tune (that depends on the genre)
- the complexity of the melody
- the counterpoint (to a certain level - basic)
- choice of sounds, not in the sense of pitch - but in the sense of spectral coloration
- the overall impression by difference of main and background elements
- the main purpose/intention behind the ‘music/tune’ - this can override all the previous points
Of course - that partially depends on the current mood… Sometimes i can value a ‘song’ just by the mood & purpose of it, aside all the technical stuff…
What’s your view on this?