What Software Synths/ Effects/ Samples/ Do You Use?

You what!!??!!??

Ubuntu 10.10 extended to KXStudio
jack2
Renoise 2.6.1 along with mass of native filters and tools (great duplex),
audacity, jamin (post mastering),
TAL-NoiseMaker Linux VST
Tal Dub 3 Linux VST
LADSPA am pitchshifer
CreakBox VST
Loomer Sequent Linux VST
Mr Alias 2 Linux VST

Would be more plugins, but taktik doesn’t like LV2…

hahahahahhahahhahahahahhahahahahha

System:
PC with Vista

Renoise 2.6.1

Audition (after rendering in Renoise, for converting wave to MP3 and some post production)

VSTs:
Too many to mention. Way too many, really. But they’re all free.

Some that I like: Ferric TDS, Rough Rider (compressors), Kjærhus Classics, the Renoise default flanger DSP.

Hardware:
Zoom G1u multieffectpedal/audio interface
Fender Strat
Cheap Casio keyboard for kids
Korg microKorg XL

Monitoring:
JVC Mini Boomblaster (!)
SHURE headphones - love 'em!

So, yes, I need proper monitors.

Taken from my Stormformer Productions website:

Hardware

• Mytek Stereo96 ADC and DAC units - exceptionally transparent pro-level digital converters that I use as my main In and Out. Both are later-generation.
  • TC Konnekt 24D soundcard in the PC, for toslink optical connection to the ADC and DAC.
  • M-Audio Delta 10/10 soundcard in the PC (not currently used much).
  • E-MU Tracker Pre soundcard usually on the Mac.
  • Yamaha HS80M monitors - my main speakers, carefully placed in an acoustically treated room. These are on Ultimate Support monitor stands, filled with sand from Bribe Island (it’s magic sand, of course).
  • A pair of smaller custom designed nearfield monitors on foam - for A-B checking.
  • A pair of JVC SK-700II hi-fi speakers (large and loud!) running on a Class A Technics SU700 amp - in a separate room for A-B acoustic translation checking.
  • AKG K240 MkII closed headphones - I use these for most of sound work at low volume.
  • Various other low grade consumer speakers - for final translation checking.
  • 4 Core CPU PC computer running Win XPsp3 32bit, 2gb RAM (probably going to do a full upgrade of this by the end of the year).
  • 2 Core CPU MacBook Pro 13" with OSX 10.5.8 (handy for websurfing as well as having a second computer for step-down mastering between sample rates).
  • Tascam BR-20T Reel to Reel 1/4″ master tape deck, calibrated for AMPEX 456 Grandmaster tape - final generation Tascam pro level deck. Used either for channel level analogue tape saturation, or in mastering to get a warm and saturated 80s sound.
  • Art PRO VLA II opto tube compressor, with custom fit Telefunken 12AU7 ECC82 matched pair ribbed tubes (which have a very clear sound with natural high end extension, sound amazing - I prefer tube saturation over tape).
  • SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2 Passive Volume Control and Monitor Switch - I run all my hardware (and software too if I can help it) at bit-perfect settings, so all my monitor level adjustment is organic.
  • Røde K2 tube condenser vocal microphone, with smooth variable pattern pickup (may re-tube this later).
  • sE Reflexion Filter - acoustic baffler which is currently housing the K2.
  • SPL Goldmike 9844 2 channel microphone pre-amp. Currently with stock tubes, may re-tube.
  • Senhieser Evolution dynamic microphone, and I plan on getting more mics, perhaps an AKG D330 and Rode NT5 matched pair.
  • Behringer Ultra-DI, no longer in use.
  • Behringer Xenyx 12 channel mini-mixer (handy for routing non-critical monitoring)
  • Various decks, amplifiers and live monitor wedges. Cables, adaptors, tools.
  • Boss GT-8 multi-fx floor unit - has some nice solid state ‘wet’ effects in it.
  • Zoom4040 multi-fx floor unit - for that vintage 90s feel :P
  • Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal, w/ modified power system.
  • Jim Dunlop Talkbox and sound-tube.
  • Boss RC-50 Loopstation - creative fun tool for live loop layering, but not really using it anymore.
  • Yamaha DX9 - Programmable FM synth with only four operators but still a good 80s sound if you know what you are doing.
  • Roland Juno-106 - classic 80s DCO synth with a voltage control filter. Currently needs repairing.
  • Edirol PCR-M50 MIDI controller keyboard.
  • Various guitars, including: Jackson DK2S modified with a EMG bridge pickup; Ibanez GIO bass; Tanglewood acoustic guitar; Cort 12 string guitar; old Legend strat copy with a PAF bridge humbucker; old classical guitar; 2 rare Hawaiian lap-steel electric guitars.
  • Various other ‘ethnic’ instruments and hand-drums.
  • Petway vintage cat flap (in window).
  • Flux Capacitor - for time-based transport control ;)

Software

• Reaper 3.x - 32bit DAW for PC and Mac.
  • Renoise 2.x - 32bit DAW for PC and Mac.
  • Ableton Live 8.x - 32bit DAW for PC for client project and mix work.
  • Adobe Audition - for general digital downsampling/dithering and file conversion.

DSP

• A range of professional grade plugins for DSP mixing and mastering, including Izotope Ozone 4 (especially for the dither), Voxengo plugins (best being SPAN, but I also like Crunchessor and GlissEQ), DDMF LP10, and Bootsy (Variety of Sound) plugins, particularly Density MkII, EpicVerb and Nasty DLA. Amplitude 3 for guitar processing. Lots of other effects, all the usual offenders like Glitch, destroy FX, classic series, mda, Basslane, Ohm Force, etc…
  • Frequent abused synths would be: FM8, Predator, Lightbag, Drummatic, Cygnus, Chimera, Mr Tramp, mda epiano, and Kontakt 4 using the Steve Slate Drums.

Saving up for…

• Blackstar HT-20 guitar tube amp. Would be nice to get the Series1 200W, but well out of my price range.
  • Matched pair of Rode NT5 microphones.
  • And goodness knows what else if I had more money… Manley Varimu compressor, pair of NS-10s, more mics, more tubes, more guitars, more synths, fun :D
  • Renoise 2.61
  • Goattracker 2.68
  • Audacity
  • Arturia Minimoog
  • SampleTank
  • any decent freeware VST I can get
  • Cakewalk ua25ex
  • C64 w/ 8580
  • AKAI Miniak
  • Novation Bassstation
  • various percussions
  • various flutes
  • Piano
  • Starfire Dearmond Custom 69er Guitar
  • Adam A7
  • Behringer Truth2031A
  • Grundig Amp + crappy HiFi Speakers
  • couple of mics

Did you got the truth before the A7 or after?
I’m wondering what you do with two very destinctive sets of monitors.

madtracker

well, yes, there is a lot to improve - thats true.

even renoise linux edition sucks in term on lack LV2 support.

However,

how much money did you spend on your software?

When I last time when I checked prices of ableton + products of noviation and massive instrument i understood,
that spending so much money for software is like hitting your balls with heavy stone and saying “it was really worth” after every hit :)

Well, situation is different when you are profitable artists - but its not case most people from this forum…

Cheeers.

I got the Truths years before the A7 - kept them because I still like listening to music on them and think it´s really good to have more than just one set of monitors. Listening to mixes on different systems is something I´d highly recommend. They´re still a bargain and give most of the other speakers available in that price range a run imho.

hahahahahahaha
that is a really great visualization exercise.