What to do when the beat isn't at the start of a sample?

I’m editing vocals I recorded, and the beat very often is neither at the beginning of the sample nor preceded by silence. I think my beat is at the dotted yellow line shown above. If I want this to hit on the beat, what can I do? Do always I need to start my sample at the previous line? That seems less than ideal.

Renoise workflow is non-existent in regards to this AFAIK. The only thing that comes to mind is to pad the sample with silence, and align the beat visually to the guide above the waveform.

(Tools could be made that partially helps, but it didn’t happen yet. For example a tool that moves the note and inserts correct delay value to make the first slice marker align with the cursor position)

PS. I requested a feature in this thread, that would take care of the problem: https://forum.renoise.com/t/note-align-sample-hit-point/32368 . I can’t really see this happening though, since Renoise seems to have gone in a different direction since I posted this.

You might run it through Audacity: http://audacityteam.org/ and see if you can realign it. It has a feature to determine beats: http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/beat_finder.html if you need it along with a lot of other useful tools. I use Audacity on pretty much all my samples before I work on them in Renoise (no slight to Renoise intended). You can do some serious sample magic with it.

Cheers.

I requested a feature in this thread, that would take care of the problem: https://forum.renoise.com/t/note-align-sample-hit-point/32368 . I can’t really see this happening though, since Renoise seems to have gone in a different direction since I posted this.

I looked through that thread. I think I might try setting the vocal track delay at -1/8th of a beat, and then adjusting all of my vocal samples to have their beats hit 1/8th of a beat in. This should probably work ok for the samples that are already fairly well aligned.

I usually stick this stuff in acid pro and prep it then load it in renoise. I wonder if they still give away freebies?

Actually, I think a 32nd note is what I can use since -100ms is the limit for delay.

What i do in these situations… is take “a longer recording then needed” … and use slicing within that longer sample…
basicly i use the slicemarker as “move-able” sample start point…

when everything fits in time… i either “render slices to wav” … or resample per pattern.

Sort of do that too, dreammer. If it is a loop type of sample I may (probably) edit the audio to put the pick up note(s) at the end, where that would properly go in a loopish type of thing. If it is sort of long and phrasey in usage, maybe would just chop it up. It if was very long (an audio track) I might chop it up or just deal with it as is.

But, mostly beat 1 would probably get its own marker and the pick-up another. Then just enter the pick-up ‘ahead of the beat’ like any other bit of music and beat 1 as you would expect. It might seem a little superfluous, but i think it makes more musical sense and is easier to read and keep lined up that way. Of course, the beat matching has to be good or you might get a gap or overlap weirdness, but that shouldn’t be too much of a problem on a computer since 1999?

don"t see the point

just select the blank zone then cut it

then you can pitch or timestrech (with a tool) the audio

You can use track delay with negative values.

don"t see the point

just select the blank zone then cut it

then you can pitch or timestrech (with a tool) the audio

This.

I used to use Audacity for things like this until I realised I could change the ‘Snap’ functionality. Mine’s pretty much always set to 0 crossing now.

Simply cutting the silence is the thing to do if the vocal phrase starts smack on the 1. But, often if it doesn’t and you’ve only accomplished removing some possibly useless information. That could be good. But maybe you wouldn’t do that, though, like if it was regular a vocal track…

What I mean is, in the lyric to this one song that i just wrote a minute ago that goes: “Baby, I love you sooooo much. Oh, oooh oh…”, the phrasing is such that the word ‘love’ hits right on top of beat 1, not the word ‘Baby’. The “Baby” and “I” syllables are actually a triplet occupying the last beat of the measure right before i hit play on the crunk machine. So, how do you line that up? There are different ways.

I would probably just put the whole vocal line into a phrase and have that align to one beat before the word ‘love’. Then everytime I need that phrase I just put it the beat before it should hit.