What would be the best pc for exporting renoise files?

What would be the best pc for exporting renoise files? So when a song is comlpeted I render the song in Renoise to a wav file. This seems to be taking longer and longer.

I’m looking in to buying a new desktop pc. And I was wondering whats important for quick renoise exporting files.

Thanks
Daniel a.k.a. HeartBeatHero

Hm, I think the Intel architecture currently is flawed by many security holes, and upcoming and existing patches are slowing it down. The recent AMD CPU line looks very promising. If you do not want to do Hackintosh, I would buy an AMD system now. On the other hand you might have a look onto your synths. Some recent synths are poorly optimized, sometimes you can speedup things by cleaning up the presets, e.g. removing already muted parts, maybe lowering polyphony.

I think Renoise itself is pretty fast (maybe only the GUI not so much), so I think there is nothing to optimize here.

1 Like

Does the amount of ram also influence the export that you know of?

I don’t think so, unless you are using huge sample libraries, I would assume. I am still using only 8GB :grimacing:, no problems here :blush:

2 Likes

Are there any benchmarks out there on exporting files with renoise with different cpu’s. Or comparable software. Just to see for which version I should go for if I go with AMD.

I think you can get this info from existing, not Renoise related benchmarks, but unsure which is the right benchmark type to look at. Might be that video rendering is similar regarding cpu load, which is commonly tested.

1 Like

Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

@alien7 Basically you have to attend 2 things:

1. The processing power for audio rendering. This is the first step, “process data”. The motherboard, CPU (the most important) and RAM are important here.
  2. “Save data”. After processing, the second step is to save the data to the hard disk. I recommend at least one fast write SATAIII SSD ~530MB/s (there are many models on the market at reasonable prices). If possible, an M.2 PCIe drive >1000MB/s of write, which is much faster (it is more expensive, obviously). If you use a traditional hard drive of circular plate (~80-100MB/s), you will find everything much slower (loading audio files and saving audio files). So, it’s not just the power of the CPU. With these units, if the writing is fast, the reading is usually fast too. Pay attention mainly to writing.

On the other hand, to move Renoise with ease, the more powerful the CPU is much better. The CPU is very important here. The GPU (video) will hardly do hard work. You don’t need a very powerful GPU at all (with Renoise).

1 Like

If you are on windows try going to the task manager and give renoise.exe real time priority and change your power plan to high performance.What is your pc specs?

1 Like

Reaper is ultrafast when rendering, but CPU usage is hitting 99%. Renoise is a bit slower but CPU usage is only 60 % or so.

1 Like

I bet this is because Renoise always “renders” the GUI, too. This in offline mode will be a lot of additional CPU load, I assume.

1 Like

I was going to ask if you were rendering your song using Arguru Sinc interpolation, because in my past experience that method was excruciatingly slow and never made any noticeable difference to audio quality.

But I just did some testing with my fairly mediocre Core i5 laptop and the latest incarnation of “Precise (HQ but slow)” interpolation is actually pretty fast. By far the biggest impact on rendering performance for me is choosing “High (as fast as possible)” rather than “Low (render in background)” for the Priority setting.

If your rendering is noticeably slow (it should be faster than playback, because if it were slower than playback that would suggest that Renoise can’t even play the song in realtime without skipping), I echo the suggestion to post your PC specs here because it might be you have some other bottleneck.

(I’d be surprised if the bottleneck was hard drive performance because we’re only talking about a basic PCM stereo audio track here, not multiple tracks or video. Even a 24-bit render at 48000 Hz only requires around 290 KB/sec which was easily achievable by IDE hard drives in the early 90s).

This is what I have now

Intel Core i5-6400 @ 2.70GHz
8gb ram

And this is what I might get.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600
16 gb ram
maybee this one: https://www.lalashops.nl/amd-ryzen-5-2600-game-computer-gtx1050-ti-4gb-120ssd-r5-26-a17-7127

I always render to 32 bit
sample rate 44100 hz
priority high
interpolation precise

1 Like

Too pricey on that site.If you built it yourself it will be way cheaper

1 Like