Whats next for Renoise?

@ninja_pwnd Sorry I was not clear enough into which direction my unnessecary remark went…I meant the stories revolving around ras and flat earth threads, THAT was paranoia in action, in a way you could not tell between paranoia or trolling anymore.

i-find-your-lack-of-cats-disturbing.jpg

Let’s please stop with the constant lolcat shit-posting, ok? Enough is enough.

We’re not in the Off Topic forum here, so please show a little more respect for those who are at least trying to continue some form of actual discussion.

Cheers.

Yes ontopic please. So what’s next for Renoise?

IMO. Relevant facts as of now:

• There are urgent update requests in relation to OS incompatibility afaik.
  • There might be some known bugs of other character to be resolved, but nothing terribly urgent and not plenty of them afaik.
  • There are less urgent but relevant feature requests in terms of adhering to industry standards (sidechaining, vst3, parallel processing, et c). Other than this, there are also a TON of less urgent and creative feature requests with a varying degree of sensibility. A lot of good ideas on how to improve the software.
  • The Renoise team is currently engaged in another product (Sononym)
  • We (or they) don’t know when they will return dev resources to Renoise
  • Taktik has stated that 3.1 is not the last version, and that he’s put some work into HiDPI for the next version.

I don’t agree with how the situation has been created and handled, but these are the facts. So what’s more to discuss really? The neglect? The sense of entitlement? How the potential of Renoise hasn’t been fulfilled?

Seems like a waste of time, unless you’re trying to provoke some kind of response from the team :slight_smile:

Seems like a waste of time, unless you’re trying to provoke some kind of response from the team :slight_smile:

Maybe a sticky topic “Sorry folks we’re putting our time and effort in another project now, but we will be back and there will be an Renoise update within a year”.

Simple. Better than radio-silence imho.

edit: this topic has been pinned since 2002 with absolutely no purpose. Maybe it’s a better idea to spend pinned topics about things that matter.

Well… it’s already been stated that they can’t give some kind of deadline.

Well… it’s already been stated that they can’t give some kind of deadline.

I have to use the “search function” to find that statement right?

Just make an official pinned, honest statement. No more whining. no more forum drama.

This is the “limbo” statement:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/whats-next-for-renoise/46714

Click to view contents

I think I can answer this too. You got this wrong. It was about Danoise’s role in “what feature makes it into a release and which not”. This indeed always has been my decision, cause I was the one how started Renoise, the one who kept it running, and the one who implemented most of it (in code). So I’m responsible here too.

This doesn’t mean that we’re ignoring what people write and tell us about Renoise. Why do we bother running the forum then at all and keep talking with people (sometimes more, sometimes less). I think that is what you implied with the question.

To answer the original topics question - have done so in the other threads already, but I think everyone got a bit lost now:

The only thing that is scheduled right now for Renoise is a bugfix update, cause we’re currently working on some other bigger non Renoise related project. We don’t have the capacity to run multiple projects at once - well, at least not with full new feature sets that are to be implemented. Once the other project is done, we have to see where we are and what we want and will make a new plan.

The last bigger thing I worked on for the Renoise core was a HiDPI “compatible” GUI, but I could not finished it before the other project started. Would make sense to use this as a base for another bigger Renoise release. Everything else is still open though.

We’re not intending to close down the Renoise project, but indeed the next big release is not around the corner. As mentioned before, we actually always have been working on/off Renoise, but this time people seem to be more disappointed about the slow release cycles than before. I can’t say why, but I think It’s not “just” the lack of information.

This is the “limbo” statement:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/whats-next-for-renoise/46714

Click to view contents

1 1/2 year old statement. thanks though.

Yes, but that’s where they stand as far as I can tell. Sononym still quite isn’t released, you know.

I would assume that their plans haven’t evolved radically, since they’re still waiting for release + market response of their new product.

Must bestimulating to maintain some 17+ yearsof C++code and get a shitload oflolcats in return.

Could it be that taktik is actually coding everything inLOLCODEthese days because of this?

HAI 1.2
CAN HAS STDIO?
PLZ OPEN FILE "LOLCATS.TXT"?
 AWSUM THX
 VISIBLE FILE
 O NOES
 INVISIBLE "ERROR!"
KTHXBYE

Back ontopic: Isn’t thistopic itself asummertime phenomenon here at renoise.com?It seems to get back in some shape or form every summer!

So maybe a community effort to maintain a non-official “FAQ” could make things easier to new users (and old users who need to express their concerns over and over again in loopmode)?

You know, collecting all the official statements and other interesting comments from the team and devs, listing the most frequent user requests, stuff like that.

It seems to me that Renoise took simple but very effective concept of a classical tracker, kept building around it and may be reaching the end of what can be intuitively and elegantly added to it. I doubt there is going to be any paradigm shift in the future.

Seem to me that Renoise took simple but very effective concept of a classical tracker, kept building around it and may be reaching the end of what can be intuitively and elegantly added to it.

Nope. High resolution support could be “elegantly added”

nope. hi resolution support could be elegantly added

Technology updates can be made but beyond that I don’t see much else coming.

Lotz of drama in this thread…eye agree; it has been an emotional topic in these forums, ever since. How about the virtue of patience?

Not sayin there’s nuthing 2 improve here…a bunch of things could be added & implemented; the ‘synthesized loop’ would only be 1 of those.

Yet, does it really make sense to speculate on fantasy Renoise 3.3.1 or similar; without having any clue or ‘recent’ clue from the developerz?

Its pretty quiet, me would say & no info on anything so far…so letz keep kewl here, as there isnt much to do for now (except adding #drama).

Cheerz :ph34r:

Postscriptum : A Loop - Lock - Feature would also compliment the Sampler in a huge & benificial way; since we’re talking #ensoniq here.

1 Like

It works, it does what it says it will do on the website, whats next, nothing, you paid your money and got what you paid for, Renoise was never going to have much further forward thrust without a traditional arranger and piano roll, the mainstream world wants those and thats where the money is in terms of sales.

It would be nice if the next version has audio warping (preserve pitch, that is) and the ability to send midi clock to all available midi ports seen by the driver (not just one, as it is now). Renoise could well change dramatically, and still stay a tracker.

1 Like

My appeal to the developers is to make Renoise available as a VSTi in the same way that FLStudio does.
At least it means that the best tracker environment in the world is available inside whichever DAW you are using to get a project done.

ReWire is not really cutting it these days…