Whats next for Renoise?

so whats all the hype about. New version in ther works?

Oh and he’s about to release the ‘other’ project he’s been working on.

Can you elaborate on this? Renoise is my first tracker so I had no idea previous trackers included an FM synth! I thought they were all sample-based…Very interesting…

earlier, ram or rom (for samples) was very expensive, that’s why adlip’s pc soundcard (and successor of other manufacturers) had an fm synthesizer with yamaha opl-2 (later opl-3) on board

opl-2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YMF262

a tracker history

http://helllabs.org/tracker-history/trackers.svg

BTW: not about Renoise, but on Redux - still hoping and waiting for MIDI out enabling (or MIDI-mode addition)

It would give perfect ability to use Renoise’s workflow in any other DAW much widely than just as sampler.

Was discussed before few times but, just for bump!

Sidechain?

It’d be cool to chain FX across multiple tracks. I also wouldn’t mind it if Renoise handled the same VST instrument across multiple tracks a bit better (whenever I try this the VST instruments clash and cause each other to cut out occasionally, so I just ‘duplicate’ the same VST to use it more than once at a time). A better Analog recording interface (ala. Reaper or something of the sort) would be nice, but I don’t mind popping in to Reaper for a more typical left/right analogue/multitrack recording setup.

A more intuitive way to do things like changing the tempo mid-pattern would be cool. I always have to Google what those pattern triggers are, and finding the right tempo hex is always a bit of a PITA. Doing things like “slow this pattern down as it goes along” or “speed the tempo up over the next couple patterns” is pretty laborious right now.

…would be a nice #idea

Sidechain?

i was thinking than a cool addition and also a problem solver for the audio representation in the pattern view

can be …to add another tab next to the scope and spectrum views …

a horizontal waveform representation of the current lines and LPB configuration with a line following the current position of the sample as the song plays …

it would be …super ultra awesome to have

and you dont …fucked up the …beautiful pattterns …and the best thing its that …as its another tab …you can hide it if you dont want the feature jj :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :dribble: :dribble:

so its not audio clips its the same sample you load in the sampler …its merely a representation …which can be improved over time …maybe by …showing how effect commands …directly affect the sample :slight_smile:

a horizontal waveform representation of the current lines and LPB configuration with a line following the current position of the sample as the song plays …

https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-1-transporter/46803 :slight_smile:

I’d be happy just to see things polished up a bit when it comes to screen real estate, navigation, and workflow.

Renoise is quite good as a DAW and a tracker. I could even load and play my old Fasttracker modules made in like 1998 or even older. I am working with Cubase for many years. The thing i did not like is the slow progress since i left Fasttracker (and that is a long time ago). OK Cubase is filled and filled with instruments and tracks. Somehow Renoise its workflow for songmaking and track making is way more faster and even sounds good. So tumbs up.

The only downside is ? Well it seems Renoise is fading away ? No more updates ? No more talks…?

And when you send an email to support… no responce at all…

So i bought this month Renoise and Redux…

But i dont know it there is any followup on updates or support.

To me a good product, is slowly and steady fading away…

I’m going to buy them out and make it open source

I’m confused why some app is “fading away” because of no updates? Impulse Tracker on DOS still works, even tho it hasn’t been updated for 20 years.

Renoise is far more complex than that, and it is not a locked garden where you can’t add new plugin instruments or plugin effects or code new stuff within the LUA scripting limitations.

yep, i would personally like more LUA API hooks but hey…

From what I can tell from the forum, the team is still helpful when it comes to soft support (If I didn’t get feedback via mail for some unknown reason, I’d send a PM to one of the team members here.)

The interesting fact is i just bought the Renoise and Redux, i am happy with it yes. I allready told that. But an overstatement is :

I have a license now from Version 3.1 to 4.1… Eh when do you think they will come to version 4.1 ?
Also the site saying 2016 on the bottom is kind of nasty also.

It would be easy to change that to 2018…

It does not matter. But i would be happyer if the Renoise will be working on. Lucky it works with W10 on 64bit. But due to the complexer system, i would be happy to know : ARE YOU STILL WORKING ON THE SOFTWARE RENOISE ?

I’m going to buy them out and make it open source

how much you looking to put in to buy a complete codebase? also lol.

i was thinking than a cool addition and also a problem solver for the audio representation in the pattern view

can be …to add another tab next to the scope and spectrum views …

it would be …super ultra awesome to have

and you dont …fucked up the …beautiful pattterns …and the best thing its that …as its another tab …you can hide it if you dont want the feature jj :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :dribble: :dribble:

so its not audio clips its the same sample you load in the sampler …its merely a representation …which can be improved over time …maybe by …showing how effect commands …directly affect the sample :slight_smile:

This would be very useful if it were possible to build it and it would have been well done. I’ve always longed a general wave of the whole song, even if I can generate it by clicking on a specific button to update it. Why do I say “the button”?

Generating a wave image in real time can be very complicated, since it must obey everything that is generated as sound, not only the samples, but also all the effects, the cuts, the superposition of sounds, MIDI, VST, VSTi (of course also), everything must be represented in that general wave. In this way, the user can see a general image of their song, and be able to analyze where they are using too much volume, where they are going or where they are short, and of course, represented in a timeline with a progression bar.Oh my god, a timeline!!!

Currently, the main problem that Renoise has is its inability to completely show an overview of your entire project, I’m talking about long songs, many minutes, 7 minutes or more. The height of the matrix editor is short and can not be rotated 90 ° to look horizontal, which would gain almost double the space.

If you notice, the matrix editor uses small lines of representation of where a note is triggered. It is not an audio wave, which is much more complex. I do not know to what extent a general wave in real time is technically feasible. I think not. But a button to update the wave, and take a while to analyze the song, even if it is very long. Everything sounds great, but when you think about it, how do you do all that? I can only think of a “refresh general wave” button, or something like that. For me, this would do the job very well.And if the general wave is no longer updated, it is possible that there is an indicator, a red and green pilot, or something like that.

Taktik seems like a guy who knows all this about audio waves, samples and so on. Sononym is a related topic. Therefore, I do not have much trouble imagining a new tab next to the “Mix” tab called “Wave”, which represents an updateable wave of the whole song, in a very large new area with horizontal and vertical zoom capability, of course with timeline and progression bar. It would be a very nice addition!!!

Additionally, this would also allow synchronizing this audio wave with the automation editor, which is also horizontal.

There is no other software that I’m aware of that converts a song to a mixed waveform for visualization purposes. It’s an invalid idea since it would be the same thing as rendering the song.

On to the next stupid idea, please…

Possibly valid idea would be to generate a waveform view of what has already been played, but it would look pretty chopped up and wouldn’t represent any updated changes.

A waveform could be pre-generated in the background, e.g. if you stopped playing. It wouldn’t be 100% exact, but surely would help a lot. But then other details like note blocks instead note-offs should arrive, too, IMO.

There is no other software that I’m aware of that converts a song to a mixed waveform for visualization purposes. It’s an invalid idea since it would be the same thing as rendering the song.

That’s why a “generate wave” button would be necessary and that implies waiting time, nothing real time.

The only current way to do this is to take other software that analyzes the whole wave of general audio and shows it to you visually (after saving your rendered song in Renoise), like Adobe Audition or similar. The only thing that could be done is to integrate that part into Renoise. But it would not work in real time. I guess the process of representing the wave would be faster than rendering the entire song (here I have my doubts); the longer it lasts, the longer it will take, obviously.

Even if some half-assed implementation would be possible, it’s a pretty bad idea to implement it before an improved arranger… (which in turn, in all likelihood, would make people stop requesting the master waveform timeline). The basic need could be covered in a more conventional and better way.