Whats next for Renoise?

-1 for synthesis.

+1 for workflow improvements.

+1

For myself, I’d like to see any lingering bugs squashed, maybe some additions/changes to the lua API to address current requests/issues (perhaps an update to the lua version itself?) and a few selected workflow enhancements based on user feedback.

This one in particular has my attention. The “fine loop editor” seems to have garnered some support awhile back. I started using Renoise after it was removed I think. Was it that good a tool? Or was it’s functionality incorporated elsewhere in Renoise? Zooming seems to work pretty but being able to instantly see the wave form start and end marker points and manipulate them without the “zoom and hunt” process would be a nice workflow enhancement to me. https://forum.renoise.com/t/give-us-loop-fine-editor-back/39802and http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Main_Page?title=Waveform&oldid=1031#Loop_Fine_Editor

Cheers.

Yeah, as cool as built in synths would be, I would also rather Renoise just focuses on being a tracker/DAW. There are plenty of good VSTs out there to load in.

Yeah, but when its done like in bitwig with per voice automation, it would be very powerful.

-1 for the synth-inside-renoise idea.

no need.

would take improvements / new features to the sampler+tracker interface years before I’d ask for a synth. I, like everybody else, have literally dozens of soft-synths. that lust is more than sated. I’d rather see Renoise improve at what it IS than what it’s NOT.

-M

Yeah, as cool as built in synths would be, I would also rather Renoise just focuses on being a tracker/DAW. There are plenty of good VSTs out there to load in.

which workflow improvements ??

more synthesis its never a bad idea :slight_smile:

just LUA script improvements. oh yeah, and a way to stop “esc” from closing a sample recorder dialog while recording is on (dumping the minutes, or even hours, of sampled stuff, out the window without even a “are you sure you want to close the dialog? you are, after all sampling for 13 minutes 52 seconds”)

“are you sure you want to close the dialog? you are, after all sampling for 13 minutes 52 seconds”)

Haha, yes! Reminds me of this one:

The audio engine was stopped because it used too much CPU for quite a long time.

An example of a tiny improvement that someone suggested:
Click, or right-click the source/target instrument in the Advanced Edit panel to quickly set to the current instrument.

Useful!

I am pretty sure just a wavetable engine would qualify as a workflow improvement. I agree that the team doesn’t need to spend its time coding some sort of spectacular analog modelled oscillator section that is already readily available on any number of vst synths. same goes for grain, fm, etc…

but wavetable is sampling. and also, I feel like I’m loading gigantic synths just cause I want a sine wave, or a saw, or a pulse. And then I make these really simple sound designs. I’m not an advanced sound designer with a full understanding of synthesis.

If I were going to compare myself to the big names in sound design I would call my skills, “just beyond an elementary understanding.”

So for me, having a wavetable engine, where I could just load a sine, and use it for sub bass, would be a workflow enhancement. And really, I am beating the, “chiptune sinewave,” to death…

What’s that fat sub bass in your track? Chiptune sine sample…

:panic: :w00t:

I am pretty sure just a wavetable engine would qualify as a workflow improvement. I agree that the team doesn’t need to spend its time coding some sort of spectacular analog modelled oscillator section that is already readily available on any number of vst synths. same goes for grain, fm, etc…

but wavetable is sampling. and also, I feel like I’m loading gigantic synths just cause I want a sine wave, or a saw, or a pulse. And then I make these really simple sound designs. I’m not an advanced sound designer with a full understanding of synthesis.

If I were going to compare myself to the big names in sound design I would call my skills, “just beyond an elementary understanding.”

So for me, having a wavetable engine, where I could just load a sine, and use it for sub bass, would be a workflow enhancement. And really, I am beating the, “chiptune sinewave,” to death…

What’s that fat sub bass in your track? Chiptune sine sample…

:panic: :w00t:

What is the difference between a wavetable and the way Renoise works today? I mean, you can add whichever wave you want and modulate it, isn’t that what a wavetable synth works or am i missing something here?

One thing i’d really want is the option to control the phase of modulators, like the sine, triangle, saw and square modulators. Now it always starts at the same point, but after this it becomes floating. This can easily create unwanted phase problems and inconsistent and unpredictable results. It could be solved with a reset function like the LFO has.
Could a custom waveshape modulator be an idea maybe, i mean like custom LFO shape? Or would that perhaps be too cpu intensive?

I also like to see improvements to the automation points. If it used vector style points, then it could create a perfect slope with only two points instead of using shitloads of points to get a near perfect slope.

I think during the version 3.0 beta cycle several people pointed out that the current instrument design is highly inefficient for creating any common synthesizer sounds (even when using single cycles and modulation). I believe it was due to the way modulation works. At some point BitArts (I believe) demonstrated how many modulations would be needed to model a very simple 303, and how inefficient that would be, even for such a simple instrument.

So, while I am all for synth sounds in Renoise, it would probably require a whole rewrite and reconceptualisation of the instrument design.

What is the difference between a wavetable and the way Renoise works today? I mean, you can add whichever wave you want and modulate it, isn’t that what a wavetable synth works or am i missing something here?

Great book!!

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Sound-Design-Second-programming/dp/0240516931/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1526656453&sr=8-5&keywords=synthesis+sound+design&dpID=51KK%252B9zf1bL&preST=SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40&dpSrc=srch

Now I’m sorry I don’t want to answer your question directly, because I feel I am not really expert enough to provide the answers you can find in the book. All I can say is that there are differences between wavetable and sampler and that wavetable is synthesis based on single cycle samples. The renoise instrument as it is, does not quite do it.

I’ll also go on to say this. “I used to have Cakewalk’s Rapture VST.” Now, I did not loose Rapture, so much as all the mess that happened at Cakewalk that Rapture became a buggy, unusable mess, totally locked into a version of Sonar I didn’t want to purchase, and the original software - that I bought and paid for, is no longer available for me to download or install.

Cakewalk’s Rapture vst was a fantastic Wavetable Synthesis, and it was on that vst that Wavetable Synthesis became my most used form of synthesis, and the one I love the best.

Some people like subtractive, some like additive, others like grain…

Of course today I have a other synths capable of Wavetable. but Rapture is always going to be like, “one of my most favorite vst’s ever.” and a really sad story of a great synth that is just lost in time…

Edit =

That book is out of print. You have to pay $94 for the paperback version. Do not do that. Buy the $12 digital version. for $12.00 it is well worth it

Solo/mute in the instrument chains

one of the most simple aplications of wavetable synthesis its features in 2 of my favorite reaktor ensembles

Carbon 2

Photone

basically the wavetable oscillator contains 50 or more tables that you can modulate using an lfo or an envelope …i guess the same functionality can be achieved in the current sampler if you just add a knob or fader that reads through the current imported single cycle waveforms …and a morphing script …kinda like the one that Massive use for the most simple sounds which i believe its just fading in or out between diff cycles

would also like to have a simple fm synthesizer in renoise like the old trackers
I’m usually too lazy for vst or samplesearch

thanks for the synthesis tips here
also helpful:

http://yusynth.net/archives/Roland/RTS_Practical1.pdf

https://ia800506.us.archive.org/21/items/synth_Practical_Synthesis_for_Electronic_Music_volume_2/Practical_Synthesis_for_Electronic_Music_volume_2.pdf

+1 fora synth in future Renoise

Observe that anative synth could be integrated with the tracker itself and itsunique pattern effects.

That would meanyou could do glides, portamentos, vibratos and lots of other cool stuff that’s not possible to do that easily with VST synths.

Really cool news!

On topic: my vote for improved СPU multicore support / advanced audio auto-buffering, is a must 1st of all.

Currently i’m able to run twice more Nebula or Acqua instances in Reaper than in Renoise (it just reaches internal 99.99% and sound squashes, while system resource meter shows only around 45% CPU power used)

Reaper’s “Anticipative FX Processing” - is the thing makes it super powerful for heavy DSP processing.

would also like to have a simple fm synthesizer in renoise like the old trackers

Can you elaborate on this? Renoise is my first tracker so I had no idea previous trackers included an FM synth! I thought they were all sample-based…Very interesting…

Could be referring to them fine, old Adlib - Trackers:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/reality-adlib-tracker/49142

&

Can you elaborate on this? Renoise is my first tracker so I had no idea previous trackers included an FM synth! I thought they were all sample-based…Very interesting…

so whats all the hype about. New version in ther works?

Well, there’s been a possible confirmation of intention, that’s about it.

Taktik is just uploading his #consciousness to da cloud…so we can all become one (inside renoise) in the near future. :slight_smile: