Whats next for Renoise?

Over the years I’ve found the ‘community’ on this forum to be…well…pissed off. Post meaningless things, and just generally be annoying to try and gain something/anything. Maybe what Renoise needs is quality musicians (who are thinking about melodic music.) Looking at this forum, if I was Taktik, I’d be completely fucked off tbh. Shame. Waste of server space (pretty much all threads need purging), simply pathetic.

I cannot follow your argumentation. Normally it works like this here, for about 4+ years: Somebody asked a serious, friendly question. Very soon the Renoise fanboys will drop in and post meaningless cat pictures, stating the Renoise is perfect and accusing the people who asked that they do not make music at all or something. And in this way, every friendly discussion will be derailed, turn into a bunch of bullshit.

Asking for bugfixes or improvements is a sign of interest in the topic, nothing more nothing less.

If the admin would immediately delete cat pics, and off-topic posts consequently, then the forum could return to a normal quality level. But ok, I get it, it is the era of facebook generation, everybody thinks he can drop in into a topic and post his narcissistic way of view, without even reading the original topic or having any interest to help.

Man, those #catpix are the very last chance we’re having in here; either Taktik loves them or not, the only other choice we then would have is:

2.7.2 / 2.8.2 or 3.1

Think about it for a Minute…& iN Da Meantime:

Maybe what Renoise needs is quality musicians

Dont worry, there are plenty of good quality musicians making music with renoise, they just dont waste time to posting on forum :smiley:

who are thinking about melodic music.

ahhhh… i withdraw my words…

Aaaah, please delete me!!

Aaaah, please delete me!!

Dude, u r sum #drama queen 4 sho!..r u from Belgium or whut? huh :wacko: Why not enjoy making sum Beatz or whatever…have sum fun, bruh!

Asking for bugfixes or improvements is a sign of interest in the topic, nothing more nothing less.

Sure I agree ffx/Hans/___. However lets think about this further… If I was writing Renoise and I set up a forum, I’d have people like yourself asking for bug fixes and improvements. Yes? Now you’ve done some programming and I’ve done some programming, but just imagine how difficult even (what seems to be) a mild request could turn out to be from the developers side. You could argue that Taktik is selling Renoise. This is true, so therefore the customer expects a certain amount of effort because money is involved etc… Open that can of worms?

I often think this, when we bought Renoise, we didn’t actually buy Renoise. We (the customer) don’t own Renoise. We have no say in the matter (or so little it is immeasurable.) When was the last time anything from the Ideas/Suggestions section of this forum was actually implemented? I can’t remember anything. Waste of time/server space?

Here’s another thought. Radio silence. What’s that about? If Taktik came on this forum and told us (the customers) what was going to be in the next Renoise update. RenoiseHQ says they would have a deluge of posts saying ‘Ohhh, you don’t want to do that, what you want to do is…’ True, but so what? What’s the problem? Taktik just ignores the posts (lock the thread? Admins are good at locking threads?) Taktik says what he is going to do, if it suits you great, if it doesn’t tough. That’s what he’s doing anyway. It’s his program not ours. By keeping quiet he tries to make it look more. Meaningless. Just created more noise, speculation.

Is the attitude: If you can get something out of Renoise (in any carnation) great, if you can’t…well…sorry can’t create the/your perfect program?

Having said all this pointless wall of text I hope that Taktik (eventually) implements the things that you want to see in Renoise ffx/Hans and the bug fixes. I can honestly say that it has never happened to me since 2.7. Maybe because the way I see myself with Renoise is in its current form way beyond my ability as a composer/musician anyway. I can’t write music that is good enough even for Renoise V1.8. I find music composition much more difficult than Renoise.

Strange huh?

I tend to find it more depressing than strange.

I agree with you, it is his software, and he decides. Sure, every further word is pointless, he won’t change his mind because of the posts in the forum, as we know from the past. That said mac users have currently non working songs, non loading audiounit presets inside all songs, empty plugin guis… It is pretty frustrating. I would be happy if that only was fixed, making Renoise working for macos again and I would pay for that update. Blablabla what is left to write, everything was written already in here… I could have stayed with old macos version, but I cannot do that as a developer, because apple then locks you out very soon and apps stop working.

I was pretty happy back in the days, when I found Renoise and this enthusiastic, talented developer taktik, making a professional tracker daw from one of the many great software starts by arguru. It was like Takitk was reading my mind. He is even my age. Back then I did music in Cubase, but I always hated the mixer, that antique mixing concept, the pianoroll, you know the story. Now I even bought a pianoroll DAW again, and currently trying to adapt to that. Yes, I would like to use Renoise only as composition sketch tool, but honestly, I never was the guy using many softwares at once, converting song formats, using Rewire or so. I love to do all inside the same DAW or I will loose the flow. Another wall of pointless text.

https://www.fastcompany.com/1462049/ibm-simulates-cat-brain-ai-or-shadow-minds-humans

4117787192_4db52d3f8f.jpg

Sure I agree ffx/Hans/___. However lets think about this further… If I was writing Renoise and I set up a forum, I’d have people like yourself asking for bug fixes and improvements. Yes? Now you’ve done some programming and I’ve done some programming, but just imagine how difficult even (what seems to be) a mild request could turn out to be from the developers side. You could argue that Taktik is selling Renoise. This is true, so therefore the customer expects a certain amount of effort because money is involved etc… Open that can of worms?

I often think this, when we bought Renoise, we didn’t actually buy Renoise. We (the customer) don’t own Renoise. We have no say in the matter (or so little it is immeasurable.) When was the last time anything from the Ideas/Suggestions section of this forum was actually implemented? I can’t remember anything. Waste of time/server space?

Here’s another thought. Radio silence. What’s that about? If Taktik came on this forum and told us (the customers) what was going to be in the next Renoise update. RenoiseHQ says they would have a deluge of posts saying ‘Ohhh, you don’t want to do that, what you want to do is…’ True, but so what? What’s the problem? Taktik just ignores the posts (lock the thread? Admins are good at locking threads?) Taktik says what he is going to do, if it suits you great, if it doesn’t tough. That’s what he’s doing anyway. It’s his program not ours. By keeping quiet he tries to make it look more. Meaningless. Just created more noise, speculation.

Is the attitude: If you can get something out of Renoise (in any carnation) great, if you can’t…well…sorry can’t create the/your perfect program?

Having said all this pointless wall of text I hope that Taktik (eventually) implements the things that you want to see in Renoise ffx/Hans and the bug fixes. I can honestly say that it has never happened to me since 2.7. Maybe because the way I see myself with Renoise is in its current form way beyond my ability as a composer/musician anyway. I can’t write music that is good enough even for Renoise V1.8. I find music composition much more difficult than Renoise.

A lot of feature requests ( since 2.0 up to 3.1 ) are implemented , except for audio tracks and a piano roll ( thank god or that )

@ninja_pwnd Sorry I was not clear enough into which direction my unnessecary remark went…I meant the stories revolving around ras and flat earth threads, THAT was paranoia in action, in a way you could not tell between paranoia or trolling anymore.

i-find-your-lack-of-cats-disturbing.jpg

Let’s please stop with the constant lolcat shit-posting, ok? Enough is enough.

We’re not in the Off Topic forum here, so please show a little more respect for those who are at least trying to continue some form of actual discussion.

Cheers.

Yes ontopic please. So what’s next for Renoise?

IMO. Relevant facts as of now:

• There are urgent update requests in relation to OS incompatibility afaik.
  • There might be some known bugs of other character to be resolved, but nothing terribly urgent and not plenty of them afaik.
  • There are less urgent but relevant feature requests in terms of adhering to industry standards (sidechaining, vst3, parallel processing, et c). Other than this, there are also a TON of less urgent and creative feature requests with a varying degree of sensibility. A lot of good ideas on how to improve the software.
  • The Renoise team is currently engaged in another product (Sononym)
  • We (or they) don’t know when they will return dev resources to Renoise
  • Taktik has stated that 3.1 is not the last version, and that he’s put some work into HiDPI for the next version.

I don’t agree with how the situation has been created and handled, but these are the facts. So what’s more to discuss really? The neglect? The sense of entitlement? How the potential of Renoise hasn’t been fulfilled?

Seems like a waste of time, unless you’re trying to provoke some kind of response from the team :slight_smile:

Seems like a waste of time, unless you’re trying to provoke some kind of response from the team :slight_smile:

Maybe a sticky topic “Sorry folks we’re putting our time and effort in another project now, but we will be back and there will be an Renoise update within a year”.

Simple. Better than radio-silence imho.

edit: this topic has been pinned since 2002 with absolutely no purpose. Maybe it’s a better idea to spend pinned topics about things that matter.

Well… it’s already been stated that they can’t give some kind of deadline.

Well… it’s already been stated that they can’t give some kind of deadline.

I have to use the “search function” to find that statement right?

Just make an official pinned, honest statement. No more whining. no more forum drama.

This is the “limbo” statement:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/whats-next-for-renoise/46714

Click to view contents

I think I can answer this too. You got this wrong. It was about Danoise’s role in “what feature makes it into a release and which not”. This indeed always has been my decision, cause I was the one how started Renoise, the one who kept it running, and the one who implemented most of it (in code). So I’m responsible here too.

This doesn’t mean that we’re ignoring what people write and tell us about Renoise. Why do we bother running the forum then at all and keep talking with people (sometimes more, sometimes less). I think that is what you implied with the question.

To answer the original topics question - have done so in the other threads already, but I think everyone got a bit lost now:

The only thing that is scheduled right now for Renoise is a bugfix update, cause we’re currently working on some other bigger non Renoise related project. We don’t have the capacity to run multiple projects at once - well, at least not with full new feature sets that are to be implemented. Once the other project is done, we have to see where we are and what we want and will make a new plan.

The last bigger thing I worked on for the Renoise core was a HiDPI “compatible” GUI, but I could not finished it before the other project started. Would make sense to use this as a base for another bigger Renoise release. Everything else is still open though.

We’re not intending to close down the Renoise project, but indeed the next big release is not around the corner. As mentioned before, we actually always have been working on/off Renoise, but this time people seem to be more disappointed about the slow release cycles than before. I can’t say why, but I think It’s not “just” the lack of information.

This is the “limbo” statement:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/whats-next-for-renoise/46714

Click to view contents

1 1/2 year old statement. thanks though.

Yes, but that’s where they stand as far as I can tell. Sononym still quite isn’t released, you know.

I would assume that their plans haven’t evolved radically, since they’re still waiting for release + market response of their new product.