Whats next for Renoise?

Probably dead.

Trying to monitor or even discuss the progress of this otherwise awesome software is often just a waste of time and breath.

Itā€™s like watching a great jet driving around in circles, wheels on the ground and stayingsafe at the airport. And you constantly ask yourself ā€œis this jetevergoing to lift off and fly around in the air at some point?ā€

Just as a thought experiment:imagine that thedevelopers actually took the Renoise code and then made a new DAW out of it,more focused onconventional featuresrather than tracker ones.All this using a different product name, company name and no associations whatsoever with Renoise.It wouldprobably sell 100x times more than Renoise ( because of its non-tracker interface,just get the simplefact that it takes lots of time to build tracker skills and almost nobodyis willing to do that anymore).

But who knows? Maybe in a few years from now they will actually decide to lift off and go for the conventional features that would seriouslyattract many, many more users and enable those users to experiment with trackerisms and gradually transfer to the Tracker Gate. So letā€™s keep watching and see what happens.

Ahā€¦Mr.Bungle ā€¦fuckin great band .

Love 'california ā€™ l.pā€¦mike pattonā€™s a legend

Just my two cents. <Looks around nervously to see if heā€™s on topic> Frankly, Iā€™m pretty satisfied with Renoise 3.1. That being said, Iā€™m a old skool sample mangler and I use vsts to produce samples, but thatā€™s about it. Iā€™m sure there are some bugs that could use squashing and Iā€™d love to see some feedback from the devs showing progress in that direction. But, if they didnā€™t change anything, Renoise is an excellent tracker and Iā€™ll use it for a long, long time.

I respect the opinions of all, just saying my peace ā€¦ :slight_smile:

Cheers.

Iā€™m overall happy with 3.1, though ever since I switched to a 1440p display, the extremely tiny font outside of the pattern editor is challenging for me. Using Windows 10ā€™s high dpi scaling makes everything look blurry, so thatā€™s not a good solution, either. Iā€™d be extremely grateful for a ā€œvectorialā€ GUI with native scaling to improve accessibility/usability of the interface on higher resolutions. If I (with admittedly not perfect eye sight) have these issues on 1440p, I canā€™t imagine using Renoise on a 4k display.

actually what I dream of in terms of GUI would be renoise behaving exactly like blender. Freely dividable and joinable frames which can show any content from pattern matrix to instrument envelopes. Layout presets saved by song/default, detachable if you really want to, shortcuts sensitive to cursor position rather than marking one area active. PLEEEEASE (Unfortunately I donā€™t have any pictures of cute animals at hand. Just imagine a puppy licking a cat thatā€™s fucking a hamster strapped to a hedgehog or something like that.)

And, and, and? Will we get proper side chaining? :w00t:

Iā€™m overall happy with 3.1, though ever since I switched to a 1440p display, the extremely tiny font outside of the pattern editor is challenging for me. Using Windows 10ā€™s high dpi scaling makes everything look blurry, so thatā€™s not a good solution, either. Iā€™d be extremely grateful for a ā€œvectorialā€ GUI with native scaling to improve accessibility/usability of the interface on higher resolutions. If I (with admittedly not perfect eye sight) have these issues on 1440p, I canā€™t imagine using Renoise on a 4k display.

Hi Muvo.Several users have already complained about the same, I included!What happens is that the GUI is something like a closed thing.For possible it seems to be necessarydesign from scratch all GUI of Renoise.Unfortunately, the team Renoise, seems to focus on small details, and not something as weighty as this.

I think that will take time to change the GUI.A couple of years at least, taking good decisions where they want to go.The problem of small fonts and icons is very serious in high resolution screens and big monitors, where Renoise would be quite a portent, to have more workspace.

This change will be one of the largest in Renoise.Just a damning thing: Renoise leads with the same Graphical User Interface since he was born.

To name a few examples:

• The software ā€œVirtual DJā€ needed to be rewritten from scratch in the change of version 7 to 8.One of the main reasons was the GUI itself. The GUI v7 was based with fixed skins in BMP format, a garbage! They took the necessary time and did not hesitate inform its customers.Customers despair, but it was worth the wait.They took of passage to change all the audio engine and improve it, besides improving the anti-piracy system.

• The software ā€œFL Studioā€ needed a big performance to change the entire GUI to complete in the change of version 11 to 12.Visually, version 11 and 12 look very similar, but 100% GUI was changed.

There are plenty of examples,not particularly expensive software that has needed time and resources to change the GUI. It is a very important and costly step should be well thought out, because it will mark the future evolution of Renoise.

A GUI that preserves the essence of the order of Renoisebut flexible enough to be ordered to suit the user would be bigger, no doubt.I do not see that this is impossible.Even some not too expensive VST have adjustable GUI in various sizes. Why Renoise will not be able?Time, animus, desire and resourcesā€¦

Renoise 4D

Arrange your patterns and effects in 4D space, now also includes smell, touch and weather simulation, all fully trackable and arrangable in the new 4D Matrix Editor.

Original, never had that before.

wtf if someone gave me rice white bread green beans and bean soup for lunch iā€™d be mister bungle too. and a giant piece of cake would give me just enough energy to keep it up until the bell rang!

Iā€™d personally like to see:

-More intuitive automation (I get pretty annoyed when Iā€™m trying to scroll in on a point at the edge of my pattern and accidentally skip to the next one etc.)

-DSP in tools.

-Built-in synthesis capability.

-Ability to route doofers to other tracks and other DSPs outside of the doofers.

-Maybe reaching a bit here but: libpd integration.

-More esoteric DSPs. (Can you imagine how much fun it would be to have a phase vocoder timestretch/pitchshift device? or a spectral delay? Or a granulator??)

-Emoji in the pattern editor.

I only support emoji in the pattern editor if it includes a proper gun. none of that squirt gun shit

-Maybe reaching a bit here but: libpd integration.

Donā€™t know, but did you see this?https://github.com/pierreguillot/Camomile.Itseems a bunch of your wishes could be fulfilled using this approach.

If you know Pd, then the world is your oyster I guess. I havenā€™t tried it out yet, but my activity on Pd has waned in the last couple of years as I always felt that not being able to integrate it more into my workflow was limitation for me, but now there is this. I do have a soft spot for Pd though.

If only SuperCollider had a plugin like this too. I dare say a JUCE wrapper could be made for that too. Iā€™d also like to big up Plogue Bidule, which I use a lot with Renoise - itā€™s greatā€¦ Itā€™s like having an integrated environment inside Renoise.

At a higher level, I guess what everyone wants it to do everything, but maybe thatā€™s missing the point. What is does do, it does very well. (though a couple of improvements could be made (routing options, sampler tweaks like modulation of more params and being able to send mod signals around)

Choose a selection of tools that work well together for you, and make music!

The only things that renoise miss is a cat synth, a cowbell synth and a cookie monster synth. Everything else is not seriousā€¦

You could always just grab a copy of MeowSynth

Itā€™s free after all

That said I have no expectations for any new features, maybe a waveform generator being built in, but I just load those anyways lol

You could always just grab a copy of MeowSynth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xxqmC1fJI0

Itā€™s free after all

That said I have no expectations for any new features, maybe a waveform generator being built in, but I just load those anyways lol

jajajajaj ^^ ^^ :slight_smile:

Here is the glod dust, the reason why Renoise development is so slow, and it is not very popular

User 1 - I want meh meh meh meh meh but no piano roll

User 2 - No i want meh meh meh meh meh whats wrong with piano roll

User 3 - No i want meh meh meh meh meh donā€™t care about piano roll

Rest of world - Its just a tracker

Renoise is just Renoise, it is just a tracker, there will be no piano roll anytime soon if ever (Have you even seen how old the piano roll thread is), there will be no audio tracks anytime soon if ever (audio tracks thread isnā€™t as old, but yeah check out how old that is too) they gave you Rewire and Redux specifically so that you could go and use a real DAW with audio tracks and piano roll, they have no interest in piano rolls and audio tracks hahahaha, its a tracker, it is geek software for geeks (Yes we are geeks, get over it)

The developers chose to invest their development time in geek features (Scripting and so on) not on usability features that would have drawn in new users, they cater for geeks, they donā€™t care about getting new users.

Take all that in to account and guess what the next version of Renoise will have, i will guess, its own DSP language for coding native plugins direct in the software, of which ten will get made in the first few months by the stalwart geeks round here, then it will never get used (Much like the current scripting) and another three years will have passed.

truly spoken. and rightly so. and im not even a tracker geek hahaha.

I remember a time devs and alpha/beta testers used to share some info about stuff to comeā€¦

Not silence for months.

Reminds me of the silence Pebble staff left backers/fans to endure the past months until the final news of the ā€œFitbit dealā€ just a few days ago were revealed.

Donā€™t know, but did you see this?https://github.com/pierreguillot/Camomile.Itseems a bunch of your wishes could be fulfilled using this approach.

If you know Pd, then the world is your oyster I guess. I havenā€™t tried it out yet, but my activity on Pd has waned in the last couple of years as I always felt that not being able to integrate it more into my workflow was limitation for me, but now there is this. I do have a soft spot for Pd though.

If only SuperCollider had a plugin like this too. I dare say a JUCE wrapper could be made for that too. Iā€™d also like to big up Plogue Bidule, which I use a lot with Renoise - itā€™s greatā€¦ Itā€™s like having an integrated environment inside Renoise.

At a higher level, I guess what everyone wants it to do everything, but maybe thatā€™s missing the point. What is does do, it does very well. (though a couple of improvements could be made (routing options, sampler tweaks like modulation of more params and being able to send mod signals around)

Choose a selection of tools that work well together for you, and make music!

Camomile looks to be a lot of fun! Will investigate!