Whats next for Renoise?

Whats next for Renoise?

well, is taktik on twitter? could we tweet at him?

When people ask about new releases and features, they are often retorted with a paraphrase of “spend your time better by making music with it than asking (complaining)”. That’s not helpful advice.

I think it is helpful advice. It seems to me that in general some folks around here are having trouble accepting reality. There have been very clear statements made about the current status of Renoise, it’s on hold, other projects are being worked on, this may or may not benefit Renoise in future. No amount of moaning, or wishing otherwise is going to change that.

The best way to predict what might happen in future is to extrapolate from previous behaviour and I personally draw some conclusions from this, one is that no amount of community activism on here is going to derail whatever plan Taktik has for Renoise and it’s development, secondly it is extremely unlikely that future plans for Renoise will be shared, I don’t think this has ever happened previously. Finally, will Renoise development continue? Probably…

My advice to anyone who finds themselves in a situation that they are not happy with is to focus on the things you can control, therefore in this context focussing on making music and working around the limitations present in Renoise is valid and good advice.

There have been very clear statements made about the current status of Renoise, it’s on hold, other projects are being worked on, this may or may not benefit Renoise in future. No amount of moaning, or wishing otherwise is going to change that.

Tell me… how long ago were that statements made?

edit: found it: 09 November 2016 - 11:02

@m.arthur

Hey. Look, I hear what your are saying and I’m not trying to start a witch-hunt here. Seriously.

This is how I see it - I don’t read every post made, I skim read. I dont keep a mental map of who said what and how many times. SO when I read comments like that, I’m admittedly not reading it in context. I will contend to context doesn’t really matter though. I’m sure other skim-read and in the case of potential new customer who may comes to the forums as part of their evaluation on whether they want to invest in this software, I feel confident in saying that they aren’t going to read every post to get an appreciation of the context either.

It’s not my place to tell anyone how to respond to ad-nauseum requests but I think our responses can all be made as if we are moderators. Myself, I would (if I felt so compelled to) respond by putting a link to a thread where their complaint is on-topic and politely ask that they keep it there. It’s a tough one. Some times their repeated request (moan, whatever) may be valid in the thread’s discussion, maybe not.

@afta8

I must respectfully disagree. Sorry.

I’m sure that people understand the reality and its the reality itself that they are challenging. The thinking of acceptance you suggest would stymy protest on many real-life matters even. People are compelled to challenge the status-quo - to not do so is quite defeatist.

Think of it as a positive! If people are so inclined to whinge, moan, protest then that shows that they are passionate about the issue - they love Renoise!.

I’ve only decided to speak up not because I have nothing better to do (I’ve done 7 albums in under year on Renoise - I’m prolific) but because I love this software. It is easily one one the best purchases I’ve made and I want to see iit develop new features and foster expanding community interest.

We all have an idea what Taktik is working on. It would be nice though if it wasn’t such a hearsay environment. When you say “Probably…” to whether Renoise development will continue, you’re highlighting part of the issue. A “probable” is not a “yes”. We don’t know.

If I was to invest in Renoise today (regardless of how cheap it is) I would think that I’ve got a good deal with having free upgrades for one whole version. But then I probably wouldn’t purchase if I realised how infrequently this software is updated.

Taktik is not transparent. But if people start to voice that they want more from him, he may consider one day consider to be more active on these forums. People are known to change their minds!

My advice is to never just accept the status-quo.

Gavin

…but because I love this software. It is easily one one the best purchases I’ve made and I want to see iit develop new features and foster expanding community interest.

amen to that.

@afta8

I must respectfully disagree. Sorry.

It’s cool man, no need to apologise :slight_smile:

I’m with you on many of the points you make, I share your passion for the product and would love to see new features etc… But I also have to respect the fact the ‘Renoise Inc’ is a private entity, this isn’t a democracy, nor is it a cooperative open source project, nor is it a kickstarter style project where specific promises were made.

The seller/customer relationship is clear, they make a product, if we like it we buy it. What we get is whatever the product is at that point in time, not a promise of what it could be in future. You may find this status quo unacceptable but the reality is there is very little you can do to change it and trying too hard to change it IMO is disrespectful to the rights of those behind Renoise and the choices they have made.

‘Probably’ is good enough for me because I am comfortable with uncertainty, but thats a personal philosophical viewpoint and I accept this is not something everyone shares, however I think exerting effort into trying to change the current situation is a waste of time.

… imo the only information that is very vaguely suggested by Mr Muellers github activity is that Renoise “might benefit on the long haul” by experience with software supporting timestretching.

Granular :

Stretch : Granular stretching. Neutral at original pitch , tempo

Stretch HD : Multi-band granular stretching

Slice : Slices audio at onsets with ping-pong looping

Cyclic : Retro stretching inspired by classic samplers

Elastique solo : Formant preserving stretching for solo voice and instruments

Spectral :

Elastique : Transient preserving spectral stretching

Elastique Eco : Spectral stretching

Elastique pro : Transient preserving spectral stretching with formant control

Unstretched :

Raw : Leaves audio untouched but provides no beat / time synchronization

Repitch : Synchronizes beat / time by altering pitch

1 Like

Hi Renoisers!

I’m a new forum user here. I don’t own any Renoise stuff yet.

Nowadays I was demoing Renoise Redux, and can say this is really powerful.

The sampler, the phrase editor, the effect and the modulation chains together make it easy to create complex sounds quickly.

In the past I used trackers, so I understand 100% this concept.

However I can’t decide to buy Redux.

I have Kontakt installed, and

the sampler/effect/modulation part can be done in Kontakt. And instead of using phrase editor, I can program phrases in my daw (Reaper) or in another arpeggiator plugin.

So I like the main concept of Redux, but Kontakt gives similar results.

And there are some things I don’t like/know in Redux:

-Gui: resizing fonts are OK, but resizing gui would be the real thing

-what about development? Redux was released almost 3 years ago, Did it receive any update since then? What about future versions?

a bit more transparency about development would be good… I don’think that is the case, but I could think this project is similar to Jeskola Buzz /development stopped/

-What about support? I almost decided to buy Redux, but before buying, I have sent a question to renoise. It was 6 days ago, dunno when this will be answered…

So still didn’t buy, but keep an eye on Redux.

Man, me would luv to tweet @tactic about all kinds of renoise - related stuff! :ph34r: :walkman: :yeah:

well, is taktik on twitter? could we tweet at him?

Man, me would luv to tweet @tactic about all kinds of renoise - related stuff! :ph34r: :walkman: :yeah:

lies. it is actually @taktik . but account has not been active since 2008.

So, has any one actually contacted taktik and inquired about taking over and maintaining Renoise? I would think that with a dedicated community such as this, there would be people with the organizational and programming skills to help kill the “wishlist and wait” cycle. It wouldn’t be necessary for taktik to give up ownership, just select a “steering committee” to oversee code changes to the core, feature additions and bug squashing. It could still remain a commercial product (I for one would contribute time and code just to see Renoise advance).

Cheers.

I can understand that Taktik Has no interest in open source the code. There is a lot of knowledge and brain in renoise. Still he could open the source for a trusted selection of people and profit from teamwork. Maybe it is a question of trust and control.

Me having a feeling that all the ‘waiting’…will be for the good, in the end; so eye do trust @Taktik & his team as usual in this case & YES, it has been a while…

Still he could open the source for a trusted selection of people and profit from teamwork.

That was my thought. I’m sure there are folks in this forum with whom a trust relationship could be established. Taktik should certainly retain ownership and intellectual property rights without question. A select group of contributors could contribute on a gratis basis, and agree not to seek compensation or retain individual ownership of contributed code.

Cheers.

That was my thought. I’m sure there are folks in this forum with whom a trust relationship could be established. Taktik should certainly retain ownership and intellectual property rights without question. A select group of contributors could contribute on a gratis basis, and agree not to seek compensation or retain individual ownership of contributed code.

Cheers.

I appreciate your sentiment. And the sentiment of others that Renoise, “is unfinished, forgotten, and deeply in need of something more.” More, coding, more features, more things.

I realize that I am not, “in the popular category here,” but I am very thrilled with Renoise the way it is right now. ​If the website still works, and the software still works, and we get an update this year, next year, the year after…

Computer software has changed so much between, “a tracker with no name,” and now. The music industry has changed so much. Everything has changed and so many plugin companies are gone. So many daws are gone. So many tools are, “abandon-ware.”

Renoise still works. It still installs. It is still downloadable from backstage. The moderators are so obviously still reading this website. I see them cleaning up a lot of, “completely unwarranted and selfish negativity.”

I do not think what is best for Renoise is to, “open the code and project up,” to a bunch of people with tons of ideas, that turn this program into some, “bloated version of its former self.” I probably would just stick using the version of Renoise we are at.

I do not think what is best for Renoise is to, “open the code and project up,” to a bunch of people with tons of ideas, that turn this program into some, “bloated version of its former self.”

Mostly my post was about getting another alternative idea into discussion verses what I called the “wishlist and wait” dialogs. For myself, if Renoise doesn’t progress past it’s current version, I’m good. It does what I want as well. B)

Cheers.

I also would be really interested in a Renoise FX suite as VST2 (or maybe even VST3). This idea was mentioned already. I miss the unique Renoise dsps in other DAWs, for example the filters and the math device. Meta input could be done via some extra vst parameters. It could be a semi-modular fx, too, one-in-all plugin just like korg mde-x.

It could be also done with a Redux effect VST concept. If you would revamp the instruments section in Renoise for allowing VSTis using the instrument fx with multichannel, you maybe could transfer that effort to redux to build a redux fx vst, using the same structures.